Thanks Thanks:  18
Likes Likes:  27

Thread: DEF Guage Repurpose?

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

DEF Guage Repurpose?

Since I have the weight loss kit on my truck, I was wondering if I could use the Def Gauge to read the fuel in my aux tank in the bed.

Would this be possible, or are there any problems this could cause to the ECM?

TIA

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

2. Thanks Corkey, AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189 thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: DEF Guage Repurpose?

The DEF tank level sensor reports to the BCM, and that information is sent to the DEF gauge stepper motor via the CAN data bus.

See the information below from the attached gauge pack description.

In addition to this, the tuner has programmed the DEF gauge to read full.

DEF GAUGE: The diesel exhaust fluid (DEF) gauge indicates the level of DEF in the DEF tank to the vehicle operator.

The instrument cluster circuit board controls this gauge based on cluster programming and a bus message received by the cluster.

This bus message is based upon a hard-wired input received by the Body Control Module (BCM) from the DEF level sending unit located in the DEF tank.

The DEF gauge is a stepper motor design unit that receives battery current on the instrument cluster electronic circuit board through the fused ignition switch output (run-start) circuit whenever the ignition switch is in the ON or START positions.

The cluster is programmed to move the gauge needle back to the low end of the scale after the ignition switch is turned to the OFF position. The Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC) electronic circuitry controls the gauge needle position.

The BCM continually monitors the DEF tank-sending unit to determine the fuel level in the fuel tank.

The BCM then sends the proper electronic fuel level message to other electronic modules in the vehicle over the Controller Area Network (CAN) data bus.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

4. Thanks xblazex, IGOTACUMMINS, Corkey thanked for this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

@AK Bob I see thank you.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

6. Thanks AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bob View Post
    The DEF tank level sensor reports to the BCM, and that information is sent to the DEF gauge stepper motor via the CAN data bus.

See the information below from the attached gauge pack description.

In addition to this, the tuner has programmed the DEF gauge to read full.

DEF GAUGE: The diesel exhaust fluid (DEF) gauge indicates the level of DEF in the DEF tank to the vehicle operator.

The instrument cluster circuit board controls this gauge based on cluster programming and a bus message received by the cluster.

This bus message is based upon a hard-wired input received by the Body Control Module (BCM) from the DEF level sending unit located in the DEF tank.

The DEF gauge is a stepper motor design unit that receives battery current on the instrument cluster electronic circuit board through the fused ignition switch output (run-start) circuit whenever the ignition switch is in the ON or START positions.

The cluster is programmed to move the gauge needle back to the low end of the scale after the ignition switch is turned to the OFF position. The Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC) electronic circuitry controls the gauge needle position.

The BCM continually monitors the DEF tank-sending unit to determine the fuel level in the fuel tank.

The BCM then sends the proper electronic fuel level message to other electronic modules in the vehicle over the Controller Area Network (CAN) data bus.
    Frikken Bill Nye the science guy over here.

II 60HP STICKS, II 33% CP3, II S464 2ND GEN SWAP, FASS 165 TITANIUM SIGNATURE SERIES, AFE INTAKE HORN, S&B FILTER, 5" TURBO BACK, ALPHAREX HEAD LIGHTS, 38X13.5X20 RAZOR M/T, MOTO METAL RIMS, 6" LA LIFT KIT, COMPLET MM3 KIT, BUILT TRANSMISSION, 6 BOLT REDHEAD STEERING BOX

8. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, AK Bob thanked for this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Corkey View Post
    Frikken Bill Nye the science guy over here.
    I would rather call AKBob the Mike Rowe of our clan.

Bill Nye couldn’t find his arse with both hands.

2021 Ram 3500 DRW, H.O., bypass oil filtration, bypass coolant filtration, S&B CAI, 4:10’s
    2wd low loc kit.
    Reacquired 2001 3500, 5.9 nv4500, dually cab and chassis, 5” straight pipe, edge juice w/attitude. Otherwise all stock…..for now.

10. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyTrain View Post
    I would rather call AKBob the Mike Rowe of our clan.

Bill Nye couldn’t find his arse with both hands.

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, CC, 4x4

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab ,G56

11. Thanks xblazex, AK Bob thanked for this post
    Likes Corkey, xblazex, AK Bob, CrazyTrain liked this post