Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  28
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alternator Volt Spike

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Alternator Volt Spike

Anyone ever experience something like this before? Wondering if its just the scan tool tripping out or if the ecm is really commanding almost 200 volts at some random times??? Was having a charging issue when monitoring batt volt, alt volt, and ecm volt i get some random spikes and drops.

Attached Images Attached Images
    EFI Tuned Full Fueling, Exergy 12mm stroker CP3, Evilfab kit, S474 Turbo, BBi Stage 1.5, Pusher Big Mani, G&R billet grid delete, Fire Ringd Head, port & polished, 110 springs, 625+ studs, fleece coolant bypass, hamilton push rods, Banks Intercooler, Big Charge pipes, Fleece filter delete, 165 AirDog, beans sump, 4” stainless straight pipe, Custom aluminum 5” Driveshaft, Custom 5” Intake, CCV Deleted, Hytec covers, 68RFE aftermarket Vb/tc, Arb air locking front diff, 33x13.50x20MTs

2. Thanks AK Bob, Corkey, watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, Corkey, watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Alternator Volt Spike

Quote Originally Posted by Cody Adams View Post
    Anyone ever experience something like this before? Wondering if its just the scan tool tripping out or if the ecm is really commanding almost 200 volts at some random times??? Was having a charging issue when monitoring batt volt, alt volt, and ecm volt i get some random spikes and drops.
    Very odd and only on the alternator voltage PID. The only way to verify if the spike is real would be to monitor and measure the voltage and current with a scope. I doubt a multimeter would be capable of measuring it but you could try with the min-max function.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

4. Thanks Corkey thanked for this post
    Likes Corkey, watersupply189 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bob View Post
    Very odd and only on the alternator voltage PID. The only way to verify if the spike is real would be to monitor and measure the voltage and current with a scope. I doubt a multimeter would be capable of measuring it but you could try with the min-max function.

i dont have one of those but i do have the top level power probe that i think can work as a scope. I just wouldnt be able to see it in a graph form. This spikes happened with a remand ecu and my factory ecu. Only thing i havent replaced is the tipm LOL. So wondering if thats my culprit cause it would do it randomly to others.
    IMG_5311.jpgIMG_5301.jpgIMG_5302.jpg

EFI Tuned Full Fueling, Exergy 12mm stroker CP3, Evilfab kit, S474 Turbo, BBi Stage 1.5, Pusher Big Mani, G&R billet grid delete, Fire Ringd Head, port & polished, 110 springs, 625+ studs, fleece coolant bypass, hamilton push rods, Banks Intercooler, Big Charge pipes, Fleece filter delete, 165 AirDog, beans sump, 4” stainless straight pipe, Custom aluminum 5” Driveshaft, Custom 5” Intake, CCV Deleted, Hytec covers, 68RFE aftermarket Vb/tc, Arb air locking front diff, 33x13.50x20MTs

6. Likes AK Bob, watersupply189, Corkey liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

i dont have one of those but i do have the top level power probe that i think can work as a scope. I just wouldnt be able to see it in a graph form. This spikes happened with a remand ecu and my factory ecu. Only thing i havent replaced is the tipm LOL. So wondering if thats my culprit cause it would do it randomly to others.
    If you have PID’s for the gen sense and field control you could also monitor them to rule out the PCM. Need to find out it that voltage spike is real. If the Power Probe doesn’t work out, you might want to consider a Uscope.

https://uscope.aeswave.com/

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

8. Likes watersupply189, Corkey liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

If you have PID’s for the gen sense and field control you could also monitor them to rule out the PCM. Need to find out it that voltage spike is real. If the Power Probe doesn’t work out, you might want to consider a Uscope.

https://uscope.aeswave.com/
    yeah thats one thing my scan tool wont read… whats a good scan tool that aint a couple thousand that can read the terminals individually like that by chance??

10. Likes Corkey, watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

yeah thats one thing my scan tool wont read… whats a good scan tool that aint a couple thousand that can read the terminals individually like that by chance??
    I don’t know of any good scan tools with the scope feature for under a couple of thousand. Maybe check eBay for an older used Snap-on with the scope module. I would stick with the Launch and pick up a less expensive single channel scope similar to the Uscope for measuring fast signals and waveforms.

12. Thanks Corkey thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, Corkey liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

I see the Power Probe 1V has glitch detection down to 50 micro seconds. Do you see anything with that?

14. Likes Corkey, watersupply189 liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

I see the Power Probe 1V has glitch detection down to 50 micro seconds. Do you see anything with that?
    When i get some free time next im gonna check out some of the probe features. But so heres the thing, if they are indeed real would that just be the tipm? Because being its doing it with both ecms. Makes me think some how the tipm senses a loss of batt volt to then spike the charge voltage. I just can’t wrap my head around the fact the ecu could command such a high voltage. Im praying its just a glitch being the can bus signal being slow thru the scan tool. But something tells me thats not the case because this problem has simply been a nightmare.. way to much money in this truck to just give up on it LOL

16. Likes Corkey, AK Bob, watersupply189 liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

i guess i could probe the field control and monitor that. I noted before i was getting about 1.5-2v when it was charging. So if im monitoring that and the probe shows a max spike of 200 then i forsure see ecms commanding it or the tipm is tripping the ecm to then cause the spike. I mean in the world we live in right now i wouldnt put it past it if the remand ecm i got is a crapper as well.

18. Likes Corkey, AK Bob, watersupply189 liked this post
  19. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

When i get some free time next im gonna check out some of the probe features. But so heres the thing, if they are indeed real would that just be the tipm? Because being its doing it with both ecms. Makes me think some how the tipm senses a loss of batt volt to then spike the charge voltage. I just can’t wrap my head around the fact the ecu could command such a high voltage. Im praying its just a glitch being the can bus signal being slow thru the scan tool. But something tells me thats not the case because this problem has simply been a nightmare.. way to much money in this truck to just give up on it LOL
    i guess i could probe the field control and monitor that. I noted before i was getting about 1.5-2v when it was charging. So if im monitoring that and the probe shows a max spike of 200 then i forsure see ecms commanding it or the tipm is tripping the ecm to then cause the spike. I mean in the world we live in right now i wouldnt put it past it if the remand ecm i got is a crapper as well.
    I don’t believe the spikes are real. If a 200 volt spike were to be somehow generated by, or induced into the TIPM and sent to the ECM I would expect the ECM would be damaged and take out the generator control circuit. We haven’t ruled out if the generator itself could glitch with a failing diode or windings and produce a 200 volt inductive spike but I believe that’s unlikely. I don’t know how fast of a spike the scan tool can detect, but I would start by monitoring with your Power Probe to see if anything shows up down to 50 microseconds. If nothing is detected you are probably okay, but a scope with AC coupling and a single trigger set would be definitive.

Last edited by AK Bob; 4 Weeks Ago at 04:07 PM. Reason: Spelling

20. Thanks Corkey thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, Corkey liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast