Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  11

Thread: Sticky Shifter?

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Sticky Shifter?

The truck is Auto, with a shifter on the column, and when I pull the shifter out of the park,

I have to yank it quite hard to get it out of the park—hard enough that I pass right by reverse—and there is a slight edge you can feel when pulling the shifter.

But with my foot on the brake, I'm pulling the shifter towards me and then pulling it down. I need to give it a hard yank.

Is this a known issue, or something I can look for?

The linkage under the truck seems to be free of anything stopping it from moving.

Inside the column?

One Bright Day in the Middle of the Night, Two Dead Boys Got up to Fight. Back to Back they Faced Each other, Drew their Swords and Shot Each other.
    The Deaf Policeman heard the Noise, Came and Shot the Two Dead Boys. IF you don't believe this lie is true, Ask the Blind Man, He Saw it Too.

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, AK Bob, Corkey, watersupply189 thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Sticky Shifter?

Quote Originally Posted by 06DodgeRamEllwanger View Post
    The truck is Auto, with a shifter on the column, and when I pull the shifter out of the park,

I have to yank it quite hard to get it out of the park—hard enough that I pass right by reverse—and there is a slight edge you can feel when pulling the shifter.

But with my foot on the brake, I'm pulling the shifter towards me and then pulling it down. I need to give it a hard yank.

Is this a known issue, or something I can look for?

The linkage under the truck seems to be free of anything stopping it from moving.

Inside the column?
    I am unfamiliar with the 2006 shifter setup, but the issue could be in the steering column with the key shift interlock or internal to the transmission.

I would first try disconnecting the shifter linkage at the transmission to see if it shifts easily by hand inside.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

4. Top Of Page | #3

Re: Sticky Shifter?

Is your truck on a slight hill or level ground when this happens?

My 2018 will do this if I put it in the park and it lurches forward or backward due to a slight incline or decline.

2018 Big Horn CCSB w/ 3.42

5. Likes AK Bob, watersupply189, Corkey liked this post