Thanks Thanks:  28
Likes Likes:  41

Thread: HVAC Issues?

1. Top Of Page | #1

HVAC Issues?

Last winter, I lost heat in my truck and could not wake up to the defrost setting.

I replaced the heater core this winter, and all the actuators were replaced.

After that, I still had issues controlling the HVAC system, and the truck was dying regularly.

I took it to the shop, and they told me that it was the head unit and that the Chrysler dealer would have to fix it.

I read that the total integrated power module could cause many issues, so I started there and replaced that.

This saw the truck's dying issues, and I haven't had any problems with losing battery charge while sitting.

At this point, I've gone through four different HVAC modules and replaced the head unit with an aftermarket pioneer system using Maestro RR to interface with the vehicle Factory connections.

I still can't control the HVAC system, and the actuators continually send different codes to the diagnostic tool, so I can't pinpoint the source of the issue.

At this point, I'm unsure if I will have to replace one of the actuators or if that was even the problem.

Long story long, I wonder if anyone out there has had issues with their 2013 and 2018 GEN four ram 2500 HVAC systems.

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: HVAC Issues

I haven't had any issues with my 4th Gen 3500 HVAC system, but you may have a lousy HVAC module.

See the attached information.

Attached Files Attached Files
    2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

3. Top Of Page | #3

I have been through 4 HVAC modules.

I can’t believe it would be the module at this point.

4. Thanks watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  5. Top Of Page | #4

At this point, I’m thinking that one of the actuators is bad, drawing too much amp and causing the whole system to fault out.

The biggest problem is it is never the same code.

When you relearn and run the HVAC, there is always a different amount of actuators passed.

Never the same actuators fail, and it is never the same pattern that they pass or fail in.

6. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

I wonder if you could have a grounding issue somewhere?

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, CC, 4x4

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab ,G56

7. Thanks Corkey, AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes Corkey, AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS, timshooter40 liked this post
  8. Top Of Page | #6

Re: HVAC Issues?

I don’t think it is a grounding issue.

I have looked at all the different grounds I can find in the engine bay and underneath the HVAC system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Thanks watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  10. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by elenegar77 View Post
    At this point, I’m thinking that one of the actuators is bad, drawing too much amp and causing the whole system to fault out.

The biggest problem is it is never the same code.

When you relearn and run the HVAC, there is always a different amount of actuators passed.

Never the same actuators fail, and it is never the same pattern that they pass or fail in.
    I just read your first post again, and somehow, I missed the fact that you have already replaced the HVAC module four times.

I have attached the wiring diagram’s that I have for both the Automatic Temperature Control and Manual Temperature Control.

One thing that came to mind is the S1A splice that is common with the actuators.

As far as checking the actuators' current draw, I wonder how difficult it would be to expose the harness either before or after the Inline-HVAC-Front-IP connector and measure with a DC amp clamp.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

11. Top Of Page | #8

S1A connection seems to be intact.

I’ll have to pull the whole dash to really investigate on Sunday.

Has anyone ever heard that Duran actuators cause issues?

12. Thanks AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  13. Top Of Page | #9

I tore the whole dash apart, looked at the wiring harness, and still could not figure it out.

The next step is to order all new actuators and see what happens.