Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  12

Thread: 2016 RAM 2500 Cummins APPS Voltage Dropping Out While Driving?

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

2016 RAM 2500 Cummins APPS Voltage Dropping Out While Driving?

Put my truck in the shop for a Transmission rebuild (68RFE). The work is being done by a very well respected local performance shop. Shop installed all Revmaxx parts and a Phil Taylor converter. Was told Billet everything is being used for hardparts. Triple disc converter, deeper pan, new valve body and solenoid pack. When the shop was done with the work they took it for their test run. Lead mechanic called me and told me that there was an issue with the APPS sensor dropping voltage when reaching more than 30% throttle. They put in a new APPS and are experiencing the same issue but more intermittent now. He said they were monitoring voltage and it appeared to drop out when they hit a bump, then restored on the next bump. Weird thing is that there are no codes being thrown. I will add that about a month before the truck went into the shop for the trans i replaced the fuel filters. About a week after the filter replacement is when i noticed that the trans felt like it was slipping. It appears that the APPS voltage drop issue may have been a contributing factor to the "trans slip" feeling. The shop did say that the clutches were a little burnt up and the fluid wasn't in good shape. Any insight on what i may be able to tell them to check ??? please help

2. Thanks AK Bob, Corkey, watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, Corkey, watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: 2016 ram 2500 Cummins APPS voltage dropping out while driving.

I would have them monitor the 5V supply while tapping or jiggling the Inline-Body-Engine-Transmission connector.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by AK Bob; 03-05-2024 at 05:44 PM.
    2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

4. Thanks Corkey, watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes Corkey, watersupply189 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Re: 2016 RAM 2500 Cummins APPS Voltage Dropping Out While Driving?

If the issue can’t be duplicated at the Inline-Body-Engine- Transmission connector, have them check the SPK400ZB and SPF855D splice connections (see attached locations).

Please keep us posted.

Attached Images Attached Images
    2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

6. Likes watersupply189, Corkey liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

I just got a phone call back from the shop.

They informed me that they located the issue in the harness under the truck that also feeds power to the in-tank lift pump.

He is correcting the wiring issues now.

Fingers crossed that this is the issue.

I appreciate the insight on this issue!

8. Thanks AK Bob, watersupply189, Corkey thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, watersupply189, Corkey liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Thanks for the update; great news!

10. Likes watersupply189, Corkey liked this post