Thanks Thanks:  58
Likes Likes:  88
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cummins Loping After Being Put In Gear On Cold Start Up?

1. Top Of Page | #21

User Info Menu

Re: Cummins Loping After Being Put In Gear On Cold Start Up?

Quote Originally Posted by Thundershot5726 View Post
    Sadly, it is still going on.

I guess I just didn’t wait long enough in that last clip.

I’ve had some tell me with the timing that it will do that after a “cold” start or that the rpm goes down when you put it in gear, which I know, but would the stuff I have cause it to lope like that, or do I have an issue?

I’m not sure.
    What are the current temps when this occurs?

Mine " when I had a grid heater " would not have an issue starting even when we we're in the mid 20's for a week.

After I got rid of the grid heater, on a similar degree outside it'll hesitate a tad bit but clears right out when it fires over fully.

This would only be on initial cold start in the mornings or if I let it sit for several hours and it's still really cold out.

That's why I mentioned plugging the truck in on the block heater to try and rule out that possibility.

As you mentioned, with your grid heater working it reduces symptoms makes me lean more towards the cold climate you might be in.

I don't recall the Fahrenheit the grid begins to physically cycle.

II 60HP STICKS, II 33% CP3, II S464 2ND GEN SWAP, FASS 165 TITANIUM SIGNATURE SERIES, AFE INTAKE HORN, S&B FILTER, 5" TURBO BACK, ALPHAREX HEAD LIGHTS, 38X13.5X20 RAZOR M/T, MOTO METAL RIMS, 6" LA LIFT KIT, COMPLET MM3 KIT, BUILT TRANSMISSION, 6 BOLT REDHEAD STEERING BOX

2. Thanks AK Bob thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #22

Well, it’s been around 35 this week, but I see the grid heater cycle, and the truck starts up right away even with only one cycle on ignition.

Once it starts, I see the volts drop and rise, which would mean it is cycling on and off, as it should, but it also had done it when it was around 65.

4. Thanks Corkey, IGOTACUMMINS, AK Bob thanked for this post
  5. Top Of Page | #23

I am still on the stock tune and never had a tuner.

I do plan on getting the Quadzilla adrenaline soon, but I’m wondering if the issue could be the timing and added fuel making it act weird on a cold start.

By cold, I mean after the truck has been sitting for a long time?

6. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  7. Top Of Page | #24

User Info Menu

If you change the stock characteristics of the motor from turbo size to fuel injectors, you need a tune to make the motor work properly.

Now I know this is true with the 6.7's and I'm not too edgemicated on the ole 5.9s, unfortunately.

You are correct on timing; you need to change the ratios according to how much fuel to how much air and properly time it to fire perfectly.

II 60HP STICKS, II 33% CP3, II S464 2ND GEN SWAP, FASS 165 TITANIUM SIGNATURE SERIES, AFE INTAKE HORN, S&B FILTER, 5" TURBO BACK, ALPHAREX HEAD LIGHTS, 38X13.5X20 RAZOR M/T, MOTO METAL RIMS, 6" LA LIFT KIT, COMPLET MM3 KIT, BUILT TRANSMISSION, 6 BOLT REDHEAD STEERING BOX

8. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, AK Bob thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS, AK Bob liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #25

Sounds good.

Then, yeah, the 5.9L isn’t as specific as the 6.7L would be.

I guess it’s just on startup that it acts a little funny because the ratios are out of wack.

So then, the question as well: Does anybody know if the Quadzilla adrenaline turns on the 3-cylinder high idle, or do I have to take it to a dealership?

10. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123