Thanks Thanks:  14
Likes Likes:  22

Thread: Black Market Performance Intake Airhorn / Grid Heater Relocation?

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Black Market Performance Intake Airhorn / Grid Heater Relocation?

Hey guys, I got a question.

I just finished putting a BMP heater grid plate plenum, air intake horn, and heater coil, which screws into the airhorn in my 2016 RAM 2500.

Now, when I start it, the grid heater heats for a second, and, whereas before, the truck would automatically start when preheating finished, now I have to hit the start button again to start.

I can hear the heater solenoid click, and the preheat symbol goes off, but the motor won't automatically start like before.

Any ideas?

I appreciate any help you can provide.

2. Thanks Corkey, watersupply189, AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Black Market Performance Intake Airhorn / Grid Heater Relocation?

I would guess that the screw-in heater element only draws 1/3 the amperage of the stock grid heater, so it cannot satisfy the PCM with sufficient heat or voltage drop to satisfy the automatic start logic.

Unfortunately, I have been unable to find anything in writing from Mopar Tech Authority to confirm my theory.

I want to hear from others with the screw-in heaters to see if they have the same issue.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

4. Thanks Corkey, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes Corkey, IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

That sounds like it could be the problem.

Maybe some electrical brains on this forum can tell me what size resistor I could put in series with the heater to make the current draw = to the stock grid heater, if possible.

6. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, AK Bob, Corkey thanked for this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bob View Post
    My guess would be because the screw-in heater element only draws 1/3 the amperage of the stock grid heater so it’s not able to satisfy the PCM with sufficient heat or voltage drop to satisfy the automatic start logic.

Unfortunately I have been unable to find anything in writing from Mopar Tech Authority to confirm my theory. Interested to hear from others with the screw in heaters to see if they are having the same issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishmitch View Post
    That sounds like it could be the problem. Maybe there’s some eletrical brains on this forum that can tell me what size resistor I could put in series with the heater to make the current draw = to the stock grid heater,if that’s possible.
    Okay, I just shot a hole my theory!

I have the Glacier Diesel grid heater that draws the same current as the stock (220 amps).

Usually, I start my truck from inside with the remote, with no problems.

I just went outside (26*F) and started with the push button.

I experienced the same issue you are having; the preheat cycle was completed, but I had to push the button again to start the engine.

So evidently, it’s not the heater current, but it still could be lower heat temperature in the intake plenum due to the distance between the heat source and the intake air manifold temperature sensor.

Last edited by AK Bob; 02-25-2024 at 01:44 AM.
    2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

8. Thanks Corkey, watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes Corkey, watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Well, the auto start is working now.

I have no idea what I did, but everything is working like it's supposed to.

Keep my fingers crossed.

10. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

I have also experienced this but with the stock heater.

I can’t say for sure what caused it, but it was damned cold when it happened.

2021 Ram 3500 DRW, H.O., bypass oil filtration, bypass coolant filtration, S&B CAI, 4:10’s
    2wd low loc kit.
    Reacquired 2001 3500, 5.9 nv4500, dually cab and chassis, 5” straight pipe, edge juice w/attitude. Otherwise all stock…..for now.

12. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post