Thanks Thanks:  15
Likes Likes:  16

Thread: Refrigerant Capacity Inconsistencies Question

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Refrigerant Capacity Inconsistencies Question

Hey everyone, I've got a 2012 3500 with the G56 in it.

I did some AC work (new compressor and expansion valve) and am now refilling the system.

The sticker on the shroud says Manual Transmission - 1.19 LBS (See picture below).

20240211_135752.jpg

I filled it to approximately 1.19 LBS using a scale; the air is now blowing around 60 degrees, and the ambient temp is approximately 80 degrees.

I look online, and a lot of Google results are saying these trucks take 1.873 LBS of refrigerant, not differentiating between types of transmissions.

Does anyone know which one I should be aiming for?

Also, I assumed the new Denso compressors have 7 oz of the PAG oil it says it comes prefilled with.

Does anyone know if that's the case?

2012 Ram 3500 Laramie, CCSB, 4x4 SRW, G56, Raceme Ultra w/DRD Tuning
    Air / Exhaust: S&B Air Intake, Banks Boost Tubes, Banks Monster Ram 4", Fleece Grid Heater Delete, EGR Delete, 5" TBE w/ muffler
    Engine / Transmission: ARP 625+, SB DD clutch, City Diesel Turbo Actuator
    Suspension / Wheels: Leveled (some cheapo kit from previous owner), 35" Mickey Thompson Baja EXP's
    Noteworthy replacements: Rancho Steering Damper, Timken hubs/bearings, Rare Parts track bar bushings, Glacier Diesel standpipe adapter, Borgeson intermediate shaft

2. Thanks watersupply189, AK Bob, Corkey, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Refrigerant Capacity Inconsistencies Question

Hopefully, someone who has done this on a 2012 G56 will chime in with helpful information on the capacities.

On the compressor oil, it’s good practice to empty the new compressor oil into a clean container and measure the amount before installing it.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

4. Thanks Corkey, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes Corkey, watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bob View Post
    Hopefully, someone who has done this on a 2012 G56 will chime in with helpful information on the capacities.

On the compressor oil, it’s good practice to empty the new compressor oil into a clean container and measure the amount before installing it.
    I can’t agree more with emptying the new compressor and re-weighing your oil.

I learned the hard way after I grenaded one on my 2012 over the summer.

The next one I bought only had about 2oz of PAG that I could drain.

To the OP: Also, check your warranty on the compressor.

If something happens to the new compressor, they may require a system flush, and you replace your condenser/dryer.

They’ll want to see receipts.

You can buy a can of AC flush at O’Reilly for about $30 or rent the tool to do it as well.

Ensure you pull a good vacuum after the flush, mainly if you use shop air.

If you use shop air, have a good dryer on your air compressor.

When I recharged my system, I put in the amount listed on my shroud by weight, but I got the 68RFE.

I noticed that my pressures weren’t where they needed to be, so I added more to get the compressor to cycle as it should.

Good luck to you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Thanks watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS, AK Bob, Corkey thanked for this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Personally, the weigh-in refrigerant method is a starting point for me, and I fine-tune it via gauges from there.

2021 Ram 3500 DRW, H.O., bypass oil filtration, bypass coolant filtration, S&B CAI, 4:10’s
    2wd low loc kit.
    Reacquired 2001 3500, 5.9 nv4500, dually cab and chassis, 5” straight pipe, edge juice w/attitude. Otherwise all stock…..for now.