Thanks Thanks:  10
Likes Likes:  17

Thread: Sharkfin To Pick Swap?

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Sharkfin To Pick Swap?

I found a thread online indicating that someone had swapped out their shark fin antenna for the puck-style antenna.

I don't remember the exact model for the puck, but it only had one wire for the XM.

I don't use the phone or any phone services in the truck, but every time I turn the truck on, I understandably get a service phone error message.

My question is if there is any way to trick the truck into not giving that error message.

I also thought of disassembling the shark fin and putting the pieces of it above the headliner.

Ultimately, the goal is to get a reduced clearance because my truck barely hits the garage door with the sharkfin when pulling in.

I would like not to worry about opening my door and holding the garage door up so I can fit in.

Any suggestions?

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

2. Thanks watersupply189, AK Bob, Corkey, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Sharkfin To Pick Swap?

So, I performed the full swap, connecting the puck connector to the yellow plug above the headliner and then opening up the shark fin antenna.

Once I opened the shark fin, I saw that the only thing that was vertical was a small metal fin acting as an antenna for whatever the purple connector was.

The only thing I use my radio for is AM FM and the other 95% of the time, I have my phone audio connected to it, so I don't need either of those antenna connectors.

So, now that the shark fin antenna was removed from its hard plastic housing, I bent the metal antenna fin sideways, took the entire assembly, and stuck it above the headliner while connecting the purple connector.

So I have the yellow connector in the headliner connected to the puck antenna and the purple connector in the headliner connected to the shark fin antenna, which has the antenna bent down flat so it will fit in the headliner, knowing whether or not that impacts the reception, I don't care

I do know that I don't have any service vehicle error messages, and my truck fits in the garage without having to hold up the lip of the door to get in.

4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Thanks for the update.

It sounds like you are all set now.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

5. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189, Corkey liked this post
  6. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bob View Post
    Thanks for the update.

It sounds like you are all set now.
    As a follow-up, I am still getting the service phone error message. I'm not sure if it's because I have the yellow and purple connector in two different antennas or if I need to do some reset to the computer through a reader.

Any thoughts?

7. Likes Corkey, AK Bob, watersupply189 liked this post
  8. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jgruberman View Post
    As a follow-up, I am still getting the service phone error message. I'm not sure if it's because I have the yellow and purple connector in two different antennas or if I need to do some reset to the computer through a reader.

Any thoughts?

I think it could be either one. Have you scanned for trouble codes with your AlfaOBD?

If you find trouble codes and they won’t clear, then it’s likely an issue with the two different antennas.

If no trouble codes are present, try disconnecting both batteries just to see if a system reset will clear the error message.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

9. Thanks Corkey thanked for this post
    Likes Corkey, watersupply189 liked this post