Thanks Thanks:  16
Likes Likes:  30

Thread: Anyone Get Rid Of Their Passenger Side Battery?

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Anyone Get Rid Of Their Passenger Side Battery?

Hello forum friends, I have a 2015 RAM 2500 and want to remove the passenger battery for "activities." I need advice.

I physically have the grid heater and solenoid and the electric portion removed from the system with tuning, so the wires are all dead.

I'm just curious how to route the alternator wire to the driver-side battery and if anything else needs to be done in the process, as I want it to be reliable.

Also, is it safe to run a street-driven truck on one battery that still has creature comforts?

I'm not trying to burn the truck down in the process, either, so I want to ensure it's also safe for the computer.

Any advice is much appreciated!

I appreciate any help you can provide.

2. Thanks AK Bob, Corkey, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Anyone Get Rid Of Their Passenger Side Battery?

Interesting project.

I didn't think one battery had enough oomph to turn the engine over.

Sub'd to learn something.

Sent from my SM-T860 using Tapatalk

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI

4. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, Corkey thanked for this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by C-MAN View Post
    Hello forum friends, I have a 2015 RAM 2500 and want to remove the passenger battery for "activities." I need advice.

I physically have the grid heater and solenoid and the electric portion removed from the system with tuning, so the wires are all dead.

I'm just curious how to route the alternator wire to the driver-side battery and if anything else needs to be done in the process, as I want it to be reliable.

Also, is it safe to run a street-driven truck on one battery that still has creature comforts?

I'm not trying to burn the truck down in the process, either, so I want to ensure it's also safe for the computer.

Any advice is much appreciated!

I appreciate any help you can provide.
    You may want to check with @Cody Adams.

See the link below.

https://www.igotacummins.com/threads...-Or-Trans-Tune

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

6. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, C-MAN thanked for this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bob View Post
    You may want to check with @Cody Adams.

See the link below.

https://www.igotacummins.com/threads...-Or-Trans-Tune
    The only problem with the 2010+ is the battery temperature sensor that put it on the grounds on the 4th Gens.

If you are skilled at wiring, you can route the temp sensor to the driver's battery, use 4 gauge from battery to tip, and use 0 gauge to battery from alt 0 gauge to block ground and chassis.

If you live in climates that hit under 30 degrees, don't do it for a daily truck.

You'd be better off relocating it than removing it, but a single Odyssey XS power or X2 power battery will run the truck and crank without a problem.

Mine fires instantly on a 12mm pump 60% over and an Airdog 165.

I've been running it on a single setup for a couple of months.

EFI Tuned Full Fueling, Exergy 12mm stroker CP3, Evilfab kit, S474 Turbo, BBi Stage 1.5, Pusher Big Mani, G&R billet grid delete, Fire Ringd Head, port & polished, 110 springs, 625+ studs, fleece coolant bypass, hamilton push rods, Banks Intercooler, Big Charge pipes, Fleece filter delete, 165 AirDog, beans sump, 4” stainless straight pipe, Custom aluminum 5” Driveshaft, Custom 5” Intake, CCV Deleted, Hytec covers, 68RFE aftermarket Vb/tc, Arb air locking front diff, 33x13.50x20MTs

8. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cody Adams View Post
    The only problem with the 2010+ is the battery temperature sensor that put it on the grounds on the 4th Gens.

If you are skilled at wiring, you can route the temp sensor to the driver's battery, use 4 gauge from battery to tip, and use 0 gauge to battery from alt 0 gauge to block ground and chassis.

If you live in climates that hit under 30 degrees, don't do it for a daily truck.

You'd be better off relocating it than removing it, but a single Odyssey XS power or X2 power battery will run the truck and crank without a problem.

Mine fires instantly on a 12mm pump 60% over and an Airdog 165.

I've been running it on a single setup for a couple of months.
    Thank you very much for the helpful information, Cody.

I took a quick look at the truck today, and it doesn't appear to have a temp sensor on the passenger battery for some odd reason.

There is just a big round open hole in the bottom of the tray where it looks like (or I think) it should go, and no wiring present and no sensors on the post terminals either.

The truck is a 15' regular cab tradesman ST.

It's not a poverty package truck but dressed more like an SLT, almost as fully loaded as the regular cabs that came from the factory that year.

I run an S468 with 150% overs and a 12mm exergy CP3.

I don't ever plan on driving the truck in cold weather, and its purpose is to be just a fun toy at this point.

If what I'm seeing is correct and there is no battery temp sensor on the passenger side, does this make getting rid of the battery alot simpler?

I see a battery temp sensor on the negative post on the driver's side, though.

Thanks!

9. Likes Corkey, AK Bob, watersupply189 liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by C-MAN View Post
    Thank you very much for the helpful information, Cody.

I took a quick look at the truck today, and it doesn't appear to have a temp sensor on the passenger battery for some odd reason.

There is just a big round open hole in the bottom of the tray where it looks like (or I think) it should go, and no wiring present and no sensors on the post terminals either.

The truck is a 15' regular cab tradesman ST.

It's not a poverty package truck but dressed more like an SLT, almost as fully loaded as the regular cabs that came from the factory that year.

I run an S468 with 150% overs and a 12mm exergy CP3.

I don't ever plan on driving the truck in cold weather, and its purpose is to be just a fun toy at this point.

If what I'm seeing is correct and there is no battery temp sensor on the passenger side, does this make getting rid of the battery alot simpler?

I see a battery temp sensor on the negative post on the driver's side, though.

Thanks!
    Yeah, you should be able to no problem them.

Just run a new line from the alt to the driver's battery, and you're done.

EFI Tuned Full Fueling, Exergy 12mm stroker CP3, Evilfab kit, S474 Turbo, BBi Stage 1.5, Pusher Big Mani, G&R billet grid delete, Fire Ringd Head, port & polished, 110 springs, 625+ studs, fleece coolant bypass, hamilton push rods, Banks Intercooler, Big Charge pipes, Fleece filter delete, 165 AirDog, beans sump, 4” stainless straight pipe, Custom aluminum 5” Driveshaft, Custom 5” Intake, CCV Deleted, Hytec covers, 68RFE aftermarket Vb/tc, Arb air locking front diff, 33x13.50x20MTs

11. Thanks C-MAN thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, Corkey, AK Bob liked this post
  12. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Thanks again, Cody.

I appreciate it!

Here is an older picture I have of the passenger battery cables and terminals so that you can see what I'm working with.

Screenshot_20240210-210652_Gallery.jpg

13. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, Corkey, AK Bob liked this post