Thanks Thanks:  22
Likes Likes:  47

Thread: Disconnect Exhaust Brake? Or Turbo Problems? Leak?

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Disconnect Exhaust Brake? Or Turbo Problems? Leak?

My exhaust brake has been making unusual sounds (high-pitched, squealing) for the past month.

Then, this past week, my turbo has started replicating the same noise when spooling up.

Not sure what to think of it

'08 | G56 | Carli 3" | Carli Axle Truss | BDS Adjustable Traction Bars | BDS Steering Brace | Red-head Gearbox | Synergy HD Steering | Banks Cold Air Intake | Banks Intake Manifold | Steedspeed Exhaust Manifold | Grid Heater Delete | Fleece Cheetah Turbo | Fleece Fuel Filter Delete | Fass 165gph System | Fass Fuel Heater Disc | Fass Fuel Sump | EFI Live | Fuel Revolver Wheels | 35" BFG All-Terrains

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Disconnect Exhaust Brake? Or Turbo Problems? Leak?

You may want to get a scan tool and monitor the actual vs desired for the vane position.

How many miles are on the rig?

Sounds like the vanes are starting to stick on you.

II 60HP STICKS, II 33% CP3, II S464 2ND GEN SWAP, FASS 165 TITANIUM SIGNATURE SERIES, AFE INTAKE HORN, S&B FILTER, 5" TURBO BACK, ALPHAREX HEAD LIGHTS, 38X13.5X20 RAZOR M/T, MOTO METAL RIMS, 6" LA LIFT KIT, COMPLET MM3 KIT, BUILT TRANSMISSION, 6 BOLT REDHEAD STEERING BOX

3. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
  4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Have you ruled out any possible gasket leaks?

I had an exhaust manifold gasket leak and a turbo gasket leak.

It's amazing how squeaky those can be.

Typically, you can see the black soot where the leak is.

5. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  6. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Well, the truck has 250k, but the turbo is fairly new, a little under 3 years old.

I wouldn't be surprised about the vanes, tho.

'08 | G56 | Carli 3" | Carli Axle Truss | BDS Adjustable Traction Bars | BDS Steering Brace | Red-head Gearbox | Synergy HD Steering | Banks Cold Air Intake | Banks Intake Manifold | Steedspeed Exhaust Manifold | Grid Heater Delete | Fleece Cheetah Turbo | Fleece Fuel Filter Delete | Fass 165gph System | Fass Fuel Heater Disc | Fass Fuel Sump | EFI Live | Fuel Revolver Wheels | 35" BFG All-Terrains

7. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  8. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CumminsForYa View Post
    Well, the truck has 250k, but the turbo is fairly new, a little under 3 years old.

I wouldn't be surprised about the vanes, tho.
    There is a small chance the downpipe clamp has worked its way loose, or you blew out the downpipe gasket.

You'll get squealing if either of these happens, especially when the exhaust brake kicks on.

What turbo did you put in it?

2018 Ram 2500 4x4 G56
    Romans 10:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    joe@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

9. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Fleece Cheetah.

10. Thanks swhampton911, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  11. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CumminsForYa View Post
    Fleece Cheetah
    Fleece Cheetah.

Has anyone else had issues with them?

I have only heard rumors and side talk of them not liking heavy towing, but this sounds different.

19 Ram 2500 Longhorn Laramie S&B intake, BMP CAT filter kit, FRANTZ Bypass system, Pedal Monster

12. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  13. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

The MLS exhaust gaskets make a hell of an ear-piercing squeal when they are leaking, especially when using the be.

I fought it constantly with mine, even using stainless stud kits, then used brass nuts, and finally gave up and tightened them when I heard a squeal.

Check all six exhaust ports, manifold to the turbo, and EGR plates; I’d guess you have something loose.

2013 2500 tradesman ccsb leveled 35’s 20x10 Tis 544’s 167k miles Raceme ultra with custom tuning, gutted factory intake, stainless intake ram, grid heater delete, exotic head studs, ddp 90hp injectors, II CP3, bmp 150gph lift pump,stock air, 5” turbo back with 8” tip, custom rear bumper, trifold bed cover, bd separator plate and sonnex shift kit in trans

14. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

I concur with some of the other posts above.

Check your exhaust manifold gaskets.

Mine started leaking nottwo2 months after a new turbo and exhaust install.

A high-pitched squeal from hell was more noticeable when EB was activated.

Hindsight is always 20/20, but if I had it to do over again, I'd do the exhaust manifold gasket when I did the original turbo work.

15. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  16. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

It was an exhaust gasket leak.

Thanks for the input, fellas.

17. Thanks AK Bob, Corkey, IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189 thanked for this post