Thanks Thanks:  16
Likes Likes:  27

Thread: CEL Coming And Going?

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

CEL Coming And Going?

This truck and the damn CEL will be the death of me.

P2263 will illuminate the CEL, I'll drive the truck for a bit more, and the CEL will turn itself off.

P2263 will return anywhere from 2 days later to a month later.

The turbo actuator's actual position follows the desired position perfectly.

I've checked the turbo; it's still a tolerance for a journal-bearing turbo.

Once upon a time, it had an exhaust leak, but thats been fixed.

I've also checked for other leaks and can't find any.

Im attaching some screenshots of my EZ Lynk dashboard for something to go off of.

The first one with 18.8psi exhaust manifold pressure is at 700rpm, and the engine is still under 100 degrees.

2nd picture is high idle on the engine, still under 100 degrees.

The last picture is the engine off. 13.1-13.2 is my ambient atmosphere pressure.

If anyone has any insight into what to check for or where to look next, I would love to hear it.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

1974 GMC C20- 12 valve, Borg Warner S480 over S362SXE, 7mm delivery valves, 5x.012 injectors, 4k gov springs.
    2015 Ram 2500 CCSB- EZ Lynk ATS tuned, 5"DPF back pipe, ats 2 piece exhaust manifold

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: CEL Coming And Going?

I'm in the process of replacing my turbo actuator as we speak.

I just came inside from pulling my old actuator off.

I was getting DTC code U010C (Lost communication to turbo).

I got a few other DTCs about a month ago but cleared them.

U010C is the only one that stays.

Low boost until I hit 4th gear.

EZ Lynk shows Desired 5% and Actual 0% at all times.

I tested my 4-wire plug at the turbo.

Pin 1 is 12.6 volts, pins 2 and 3 roughly 2.5 volts with the key on (120ohms with key off), and pin 4 has good ground/return.

I just pulled my actuator, and the gear inside the turbo turns freely.

Our situations are slightly different with codes and what the turbo is doing (not doing), but I thought I'd share my experience and diagnosising.

For me, it looks like a new actuator will solve my issue.

Unfortunately, @DDP said they are on backorder and about six weeks out.

Now, I'm at a crossroads because I need one ASAP.

I'm sure you've come across this thread, but it talks about the same code you have.

https://www.igotacummins.com/threads/21605-P2263-CEL

Last edited by inline6c; 01-06-2024 at 05:26 PM. Reason: Duh, I just noticed that thread is your thread ??*??
    2018 Ram 2500 Limited Tungsten Silver
    Proven Diesel <> Leveled 35s

3. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Would your mileage be all over the place?

Like the same road, same conditions, and wildly different fuel economy.

1974 GMC C20- 12 valve, Borg Warner S480 over S362SXE, 7mm delivery valves, 5x.012 injectors, 4k gov springs.
    2015 Ram 2500 CCSB- EZ Lynk ATS tuned, 5"DPF back pipe, ats 2 piece exhaust manifold

4. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  5. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

If the actuator is sticking on you or fails close to a certain point, yes, you will have poor milage and power delivery.

It's acting as if the EB is engaged to some degree, causing you to give more fuel than typical to get around from point A to point B if that makes sense.

It's causing resistance for the turbo, and you would, in most cases, experience lower boost readings and DTC to pop up as you are.

II 60HP STICKS, II 33% CP3, II S464 2ND GEN SWAP, FASS 165 TITANIUM SIGNATURE SERIES, AFE INTAKE HORN, S&B FILTER, 5" TURBO BACK, ALPHAREX HEAD LIGHTS, 38X13.5X20 RAZOR M/T, MOTO METAL RIMS, 6" LA LIFT KIT, COMPLET MM3 KIT, BUILT TRANSMISSION, 6 BOLT REDHEAD STEERING BOX, YUKON 4.56 GEARS W/ COVERS

6. Thanks AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  7. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by druff View Post
    Would your mileage be all over the place?

Like the same road, same conditions, and wildly different fuel economy.

Yes.

My mileage was all over the place for roughly 3 months.

Before figuring out what was happening, I cleaned all my sensors (MAP, MAF, etc.) and changed the air filter even though it looked good (I even took the RAM active air doors out, thinking they might not have been working correctly, causing low air intake).

I drive 867 miles a month to Texas for work.

Before the actuator went completely out, sometimes I would show good fuel mileage, and it would steadily drop off as low as 5-6mpg throughout my trip.

Thinking back, it's probably because the actuator got hotter as I drove, causing it to malfunction.

Then, recently, it completely died.

I think it died with the turbo, mostly in the open position, as I could still drive just with poor fuel mileage all the time.

I will be calling @DDP first thing in the morning to see if they can get an actuator to me by Wednesday or Thursday at the latest.

I have to drive back to Texas on Friday for 20 days of work.

Sent from my moto g power 5G - 2023 using Tapatalk

2018 Ram 2500 Limited Tungsten Silver
    Proven Diesel <> Leveled 35s

8. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inline6c View Post
    My mileage was all over the place for roughly 3 months.

Before figuring out what was happening, I cleaned all my sensors (MAP, MAF, etc.) and changed the air filter even though it looked good (I even took the RAM active air doors out, thinking they might not have been working correctly, causing low air intake).

I drive 867 miles a month to Texas for work.

Before the actuator went completely out, sometimes I would show good fuel mileage, and it would steadily drop off as low as 5-6mpg throughout my trip.

Thinking back, it's probably because the actuator got hotter as I drove, causing it to malfunction.

Then, recently, it completely died.

I think it died with the turbo, mostly in the open position, as I could still drive just with poor fuel mileage all the time.

I will be calling @DDP first thing in the morning to see if they can get an actuator to me by Wednesday or Thursday at the latest.

I have to drive back to Texas on Friday for 20 days of work.

Sent from my moto g power 5G - 2023 using Tapatalk
    Sorry to hear you're having issues.

Feel free to call the shop, or you can PM / Email me with any questions.

One of our upgraded/calibrated actuators isn't spoken for.

They carry the same 2 year warranty, the internals are upgraded so the only thing that's Holset is the housing.

https://ddpmotorsports.com/collectio...dp-motorsports

2018 Ram 2500 4x4 G56
    Romans 10:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    joe@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

9. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, AK Bob, watersupply189 thanked for this post