Thanks Thanks:  46
Likes Likes:  39
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: taking out the factory turbo silencer.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. Top Of Page | #1
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

taking out the factory turbo silencer.

How much noise does it make?

2. Top Of Page | #2
    guru of all things diesel Canadiandiesel's Avatar

User Info Menu

You want exact db? Or what?

3. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Removing it disturbs the air flow into the turbo. Guys say they saw improvements, but it's psychological.

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

4. Top Of Page | #4
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post
    Removing it disturbs the air flow into the turbo. Guys say they saw improvements, but it's psychological.
    It makes more noise so therefore it MUST make more power. LOL

I have not removed one out of a 5.9 but I do know that the "silncer ring" on the 6.7 VGT turbos are pinned into place for a reason. It is also an inducer to the turbine. Without it there is a lot of turbulance that reduces it's efficiency. They don't quite work correctly with out it.

5. Thanks HKBIGDADDYDIESELDAN thanked for this post
    Likes Calibrated Addiction liked this post
  6. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rockwerx View Post
    It makes more noise so therefore it MUST make more power. LOL
    3rd Gens have larger turbos than the 2nd gen. The 04.5 turbo is larger than your 03 turbo, and the same size as the 6.7 turbo. These guys brag too much with their heads in a dark spot. It's all ego. Your air filter will make more noise than removing the ring. Look at that. A non-enclosed filter will be as loud as you're going to get.

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

7. Thanks HKBIGDADDYDIESELDAN thanked for this post
  8. Top Of Page | #6
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Thanks Rockwerx, that makes a lot of sense. I just read it in a mag and wanted to post and ask. They said they did it on a project cummins 2nd gen.

9. Thanks HKBIGDADDYDIESELDAN thanked for this post
  10. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Removing the silencer ring makes the whistling of the turbo much louder

Sent from my crib

11. Thanks HKBIGDADDYDIESELDAN thanked for this post
  12. Top Of Page | #8
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

I've seen and read a lot of this. But I only seen once where they tested it and recorded the difference. But like an ***, I didn't save the website write up.
    It didn't do any better with it in verses out.
    If they test this and put the proof out as much as they question this, then the thought of doing it might die quickly.

13. Thanks HKBIGDADDYDIESELDAN thanked for this post
  14. Top Of Page | #9
    I took mine out and its quite a bit louder but not unbearable. I have an 05 and i had a 99 before this and took that one out too... like they said no hp increase but something about hearing that turbo is awesome

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

15. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, HKBIGDADDYDIESELDAN thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  16. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

If it's turbo noise you're looking for do a 2nd gen manifold/s400 swap.....she'll sing to you!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast