Thanks Thanks:  50
Likes Likes:  89
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MM3 Install - RAM 2500 With Soot Reduction?

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

MM3 Install - RAM 2500 With Soot Reduction?

I hope I didn't mess up.

I may have done something out of order.

I just finished several days of soot reduction (EGR, DPF), ARP head studs, new inter-cooler pipes, and GDP heater grid deletion with GDP intake.

Presently, I still have a couple of small items to finish.

The batteries have been disconnected and remain so for a week now.

I've kept the batteries on charge.

When I connect the batteries, it will be the first time I've turned on my MM3.

I will turn the key on, but not start, and download the stock file (?).

Then back it up to my computer.

Upon reinstalling the SD card in the MM3, do I start it for the first time on the stock tune?

Or can/do I upload tunes to the truck before starting for the first time?

2. Thanks AK Bob, Corkey, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

If you haven’t removed any hard parts like the exhaust, EGR, or DEF system, then I would start the truck and take it for a short run to make sure all is good and there are no trouble codes.

If all is good, then download the stock file and make a backup of your tune file and stock file.

Turn the key or push the button to the run position; do not start the truck and flash your tunes.

If any hard parts mentioned above have already been removed, don’t start the truck; perform the file backups and flash the tune in the run position.

Connect a battery tender while flashing your tuning.

Edit Note: I reread your post, and it seems you have already removed the hard parts.

Do not start the truck until the tunes have been installed.

Last edited by AK Bob; 11-25-2023 at 11:08 PM.
    2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

This is what I needed (and hoped to be able to do)!

Thank you!

If there were a button on here to send you a coffee, I'd send ten!

I realized after doing so much work that the usual method is to grab your stock file BEFORE doing any work on the truck.

It made me more than a little nervous that I had messed up.

Once I upload the files to the truck, I assume I select a tune such as the 90hp, for example, and then start (?).

Also, if I want to switch to the TOW tune later, do I typically do that while the truck runs?

5. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Once you get the initial tunes flashed "stock & custom files," you can switch to any power tune; if the trans is stock, I won't switch up to power level 150 or 200 to be on the conservative side.

Once the MM3 boots up, toggle through all the settings, PIDS, to get familiar with the platform.

You can choose alarms for specific parameters; let's take EGTs for example: set your preference of layout or dashboard appearance you like most, click onto EGT, should have an alarm or something of that nature, set the alarm to trigger, say, around 1300, once you exceed that parameter, you should hear a sound from the monitor "I could be wrong," but you will see the alarm or PID flashing on the monitor.

Another thing to choose is, once you find what you want to run most of the time, somewhere, there's a function to resort back to previous tunes\power level with every key cycle.

Either way, the engine is off; you can change any power setting.

It's the best platform for A Cummins; you will not be disappointed.

II 60HP STICKS, II 33% CP3, II S464 2ND GEN SWAP, FASS 165 TITANIUM SIGNATURE SERIES, AFE INTAKE HORN, S&B FILTER, 5" TURBO BACK, ALPHAREX HEAD LIGHTS, 38X13.5X20 RAZOR M/T, MOTO METAL RIMS, 6" LA LIFT KIT, COMPLET MM3 KIT, BUILT TRANSMISSION, 6 BOLT REDHEAD STEERING BOX, YUKON 4.56 GEARS W/ COVERS

6. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TRAUMWEBER View Post
    This is what I needed (and hoped to be able to do)!

Thank you!

If there were a button on here to send you a coffee, I'd send ten!

I realized after doing so much work that the usual method is to grab your stock file BEFORE doing any work on the truck.

It made me more than a little nervous that I had messed up.

Once I upload the files to the truck, I assume I select a tune such as the 90hp, for example, and then start (?).

Also, if I want to switch to the TOW tune later, do
    Usually, you should tune before removing any hard part; this way you can still drive the truck if the tune doesn’t load successfully.

You didn’t mess up; you just took away that option.

When you flash your tunes, you will install the whole package.

Once the package is installed you can select the desired HP tune on your MM3 switch screen.

Thanks for the coffee offer, LOL.

Last edited by AK Bob; 11-26-2023 at 12:53 AM.
    2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

7. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

I wasn’t sure when I did mine, either.

I took all the exhaust off first and then, without thinking, started the truck before flashing the new tunes.

Total brain fart moment.

8. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dodger View Post
    I wasn’t sure when I did mine, either.

I took all the exhaust off first and then, without thinking, started the truck before flashing the new tunes.

Total brain fart moment.
    What happened when you did this?

Hopefully, it is nothing major.

9. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  10. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Corkey View Post
    Once you get the initial tunes flashed "stock & custom files," you can switch to any power tune; if the trans is stock, I won't switch up to power level 150 or 200 to be on the conservative side.

Once the MM3 boots up, toggle through all the settings, PIDS, to get familiar with the platform.

You can choose alarms for specific parameters; let's take EGTs for example: set your preference of layout or dashboard appearance you like most, click onto EGT, should have an alarm or something of that nature, set the alarm to trigger, say, around 1300, once you exceed that parameter, you should hear a sound from the monitor "I could be wrong," but you will see the alarm or PID flashing on the monitor.

Another thing to choose is, once you find what you want to run most of the time, somewhere, there's a function to resort back to previous tunes\power level with every key cycle.

Either way, the engine is off; you can change any power setting.

It's the best platform for A Cummins; you will not be disappointed.

Great info!

This answers a lot of questions I had.

I have no desire to use anything above the 90hp, even with the ARP studs now.

I only did the studs as extra insurance and hopefully longevity, although I'm sure it was fine with the bolts.

Thanks again for the info!

11. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Re: MM3 Install - RAM 2500 With Soot Reduction?

Quote Originally Posted by TRAUMWEBER View Post
    What happened when you did this?

Hopefully, it is nothing major.

All the exhaust was unplugged, so as you can imagine, it had a mess of codes and warning lights.

I shut it down and flashed the new tunes, and it was fine.

12. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Re: MM3 Install - RAM 2500 With Soot Reduction?

All went well, and she fired off and purred after a long and gut-wrenching 14-second crank to get fuel back in the rail and lines.

It seems the steering wheel vibrates at idle a little more; hopefully, it just makes the tune more like a hum.

I definitelyy need to get that 30" FTE resonator in there the next chance I have.

Hopefully, that will get the sound down closer to stock.

The HP ratings aren't listed on the names of the tunes.

It's just TOW, STREET (I forgot the last two - race and something else).

There is no plan to use those last two.

Is the "Street" the 90hp and "Tow" a 30hp?

Also, it lists the "STOCK" tune.

Can I run this, and it will ignore missing hard parts?

Or should I stay away from it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast