Thanks Thanks:  16
Likes Likes:  28

Thread: ECU Tune Issue Or Trans Tune?

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

ECU Tune Issue Or Trans Tune?

What are some of your opinions?

I think it's the tune, but I haven't heard back from my tuner due to holidays and weekends, so I have no clue.

07.5 6.7L Cummins 68RFE, S464 Turbo, BBi new stage 1.5 injectors.

Ported & fire ringed head RaceME Ultra on custom tune w/ trans, Airdog 165, Banks intercooler 3.5" pipes.

I just got the truck back together last weekend and have been cycling it all week to ensure everything has been good before nailing it on.

Well, today, I let it rip, and she only pulls in at the end of 3rd and lights up 4th.

Then, it falls on its face practically into fifth and cuts out to 4.5 degrees timing.

4th will light up any rpm, even at a bog.

It will hit 25k rail, 35lbs of boost, and 25 degrees timing.

No, there are no fuel leaks anywhere and no boost leaks.

Then, as I got close to the house, suddenly, as I stopped, the truck started loping, and I watched the ECM voltage jump back and forth from 13.5 to 14.2 like a heartbeat.

So I read it, and it stopped.

I went to roll the windows up and hit the switch, and the cluster lights would flash on.

Then the truck started faintly flashing interior lights again, but nothing outside was flashing, not headlights, tails, cab lights, nothing.

What is going on?

Thanks for any insight in advance!

I work on vehicles for a living and have been doing wiring for years!

UI sed actual copper 0/1 gauge for all new cables with heat shrink.

The battery is brand new and has been sitting on a Ctek charger.

Lugs are tight; I can't move anything, and I know these trucks are sensitive to terminal resistance.

And on another note, the truck would never lock into 4th gear when it was in auto mode.

It would ride 3rd out high, skip over 4th, and hit 5th at 45.

The only way I could ever get it to lock 4th early was to select it manually.

Now, with the new trans tune, it locks 4th at 35-4,0, but now it feels like i have absolutely nothing in 5th.

I didn't want to try six because the truck would try and downshift back to 5th.

Attached Images Attached Images
    EFI Tuned Full Fueling, Exergy 12mm stroker CP3, Evilfab kit, S474 Turbo, BBi Stage 1.5, Pusher Big Mani, G&R billet grid delete, Fire Ringd Head, port & polished, 110 springs, 625+ studs, fleece coolant bypass, hamilton push rods, Banks Intercooler, Big Charge pipes, Fleece filter delete, 165 AirDog, beans sump, 4” stainless straight pipe, Custom aluminum 5” Driveshaft, Custom 5” Intake, CCV Deleted, Hytec covers, 68RFE aftermarket Vb/tc, Arb air locking front diff, 33x13.50x20MTs

2. Thanks Corkey, AK Bob, watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes Corkey, AK Bob, watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

I only see one battery.

Do you have a second battery hidden somewhere?

I am just trying to figure out why you are experiencing the voltage issue.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

4. Thanks Corkey, IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes Corkey, IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

I see a lot of folks having to run a big CCA single battery because of the relocation of the second battery being in the way of the side-by-side or over-and-under compounds.

But being a single S464, there is no point in running a single battery.

I think you're on to something there, Bob.

II 60HP STICKS, II 33% CP3, II S464 2ND GEN SWAP, FASS 165 TITANIUM SIGNATURE SERIES, AFE INTAKE HORN, S&B FILTER, 5" TURBO BACK, ALPHAREX HEAD LIGHTS, 38X13.5X20 RAZOR M/T, MOTO METAL RIMS, 6" LA LIFT KIT, COMPLET MM3 KIT, BUILT TRANSMISSION, 6 BOLT REDHEAD STEERING BOX, YUKON 4.56 GEARS W/ COVERS

6. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Yeah, I deleted the passenger battery.

All that it was running was the grid & alt.

Its grid was deleted, so I made a new 0/1 gauge from the alt to the driver's battery.

I was told the one big zero gauge ground to the driver's side of the block is good enough.

EFI Tuned Full Fueling, Exergy 12mm stroker CP3, Evilfab kit, S474 Turbo, BBi Stage 1.5, Pusher Big Mani, G&R billet grid delete, Fire Ringd Head, port & polished, 110 springs, 625+ studs, fleece coolant bypass, hamilton push rods, Banks Intercooler, Big Charge pipes, Fleece filter delete, 165 AirDog, beans sump, 4” stainless straight pipe, Custom aluminum 5” Driveshaft, Custom 5” Intake, CCV Deleted, Hytec covers, 68RFE aftermarket Vb/tc, Arb air locking front diff, 33x13.50x20MTs

8. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Corkey View Post
    I see a lot of folks having to run a big CCA single battery because of the relocation of the second battery being in the way of the side-by-side or over-and-under compounds.

But being a single S464, there is no point in running a single battery.

I think you're on to something there, Bob.
    A bunch of guys deleted the secondary battery to clean up the bay.

If anything, the single battery should be getting a better charge.

The Optima started the truck in a second with no hesitation.

10. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cody Adams View Post
    Yeah, I deleted the passenger battery.

All that it was running was the grid & alt.

Its grid was deleted, so I made a new 0/1 gauge from the alt to the driver's battery.

I was told the one big zero gauge ground to the driver's side of the block is good enough.
    I think the 0/1 ground to block is sufficient; how about the ground to frame?

Have you done a loaded voltage drop test on them?

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

12. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189, Corkey liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bob View Post

I left all the grounds like a factory.

I just took out that one battery.

I drove it several times today and couldn't replicate it, LOL.

I think this tune they gave me isnt working out,

I changed the trans tune, and nothing changed.

Im honestly starting to point my fingers at the tune file.

It is like it's going into a fail-safe after 4th.

I can hold boost and rail till 4k, then click 5th and fall on its face, LOL.

14. Thanks AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189 thanked for this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bob View Post

Now that you say that, I think running over to the passenger-said chassis wouldn't hurt to ensure all the body stuff is getting good ground.

Honestly, looking at the factory grounds, they are pretty wimping beside the block grounds.

16. Thanks AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189 thanked for this post