Thanks Thanks:  22
Likes Likes:  48
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wandering Issue?

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Wandering Issue?

I have a 2017 RAM CTD and have gotten some bad wandering all over the road issues, almost like I'm fighting loose steering, and it's back and forth.

I needed new tires and had ridge grapplers (35s), and it was pulling hard to the right.

I had one tire wearing badly, so I knew something was off.

We needed tires, so we ended up with 35" Toyos (trails, not the muds) and were told it needed a wrong tie rod end, so we also put in new upper and lower ball joints on both sides.

It's been aligned twice, and the axle dropped to realign, and it drives a little better but still feels like it's all over the road and nothing like it used to.

I asked if it could be the 20x10 wheels, which I don't feel are super aggressive, and was assured it wasn't because they have been there a few years and never had that issue.

I am looking for some advice. I may try the steering brace bc the guys mentioned I have a lot of upgraded stuff, so there's flex in the frame (small amount), and I'm wondering if that could be causing it.

It's driving me crazy because it's getting to where I hate going, especially on uneven pavement. It almost feels unsafe back and forth, trying to control it.

I have the alignment specs if I can download them here.

Thanks!

2. Thanks watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Wandering Issue?

Check your track bar.

That will cause a truck to wonder if it’s worn out.

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, CC, 4x4

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab ,G56

4. Thanks Corkey, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes Corkey, AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Wandering Issue?

How old is your steering box?

Do you have a steering stabilizer to help out?

If I could throw out an answer, I would say it's a going-out box.

I had a lot of play on the steering wheel before the wheels would finally start to engage with the steering wheel.

I dropped a six-bolt head box in with a new steering brace, and it's fixed any play.

Can you see if you have play or slop in the steering wheel before the wheels engage?

II 60HP STICKS, II 33% CP3, II S464 2ND GEN SWAP, FASS 165 TITANIUM SIGNATURE SERIES, AFE INTAKE HORN, S&B FILTER, 5" TURBO BACK, ALPHAREX HEAD LIGHTS, 38X13.5X20 RAZOR M/T, MOTO METAL RIMS, 6" LA LIFT KIT, COMPLET MM3 KIT, BUILT TRANSMISSION, 6 BOLT REDHEAD STEERING BOX, YUKON 4.56 GEARS W/ COVERS

6. Thanks watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Wandering Issue?

I put a Thuren in a couple of years ago when I put in the thuren springs and leveled it, so I wouldn’t think it would be that.

8. Thanks watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Wandering Issue?

Quote Originally Posted by Corkey View Post
    How old is your steering box?

Do you have a steering stabilizer to help out?

If I could throw out an answer, I would say it's a going-out box.

I had a lot of play on the steering wheel before the wheels would finally start to engage with the steering wheel.

I dropped a six-bolt head box in with a new steering brace, and it's fixed any play.

Can you see if you have play or slop in the steering wheel before the wheels engage?
    It's the original steering box, for sure.

I haven't added a brace, but that was my next try brace and add an aftermarket Fox stabilizer or would a dual setup be better?

If the truck is in the park, I can move it back and forth pretty well without the tires moving and do it while driving down the road.

You can take your fingers and move the steering wheel back and forth without the tires rolling.

10. Thanks watersupply189, Corkey, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Wandering Issue?

Quote Originally Posted by CUcummins2010 View Post
    It's the original steering box, for sure.

I haven't added a brace, but that was my next try brace and add an aftermarket Fox stabilizer or would a dual setup be better?

If the truck is in the park, I can move it back and forth pretty well without the tires moving and do it while driving down the road.

You can take your fingers and move the steering wheel back and forth without the tires rolling.
    That's more than likely what your issue is.

I took my truck into swabs; they said my box was shot entirely, and we're surprised I even made it to them.

Just look at ratings and reviews on what box you choose to run with.

I don't have stabilizers, but I should; I also run 37s, which helps eliminate bump steer.

I went with Redhead and haven't regretted it since the installation.

II 60HP STICKS, II 33% CP3, II S464 2ND GEN SWAP, FASS 165 TITANIUM SIGNATURE SERIES, AFE INTAKE HORN, S&B FILTER, 5" TURBO BACK, ALPHAREX HEAD LIGHTS, 38X13.5X20 RAZOR M/T, MOTO METAL RIMS, 6" LA LIFT KIT, COMPLET MM3 KIT, BUILT TRANSMISSION, 6 BOLT REDHEAD STEERING BOX, YUKON 4.56 GEARS W/ COVERS

12. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Wandering Issue?

That's more than likely what your issue is.

I took my truck into swabs; they said my box was shot entirely, and we're surprised I even made it to them.

Just look at ratings and reviews on what box you choose to run with.

I don't have stabilizers, but I should; I also run 37s, which helps eliminate bump steer.

I went with Redhead and haven't regretted it since the installation.
    I guess I can have the steering box checked.

I know that's an issue with these trucks, but it seems early for a truck with 58k miles.

I have 35s on 20x10 wheels, but it wasn't an issue with them for over a year.

At some point, I will probably try to go back to stocks or something smaller, like a method and 37s.

I traded these wheels for the stocks for free and loved the look, but I'm not a fan if it's wearing stuff out that quickly.

14. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Wandering Issue?

I guess I can have the steering box checked.

I know that's an issue with these trucks, but it seems early for a truck with 58k miles.

I have 35s on 20x10 wheels, but it wasn't an issue with them for over a year.

At some point, I will probably try to go back to stocks or something smaller, like a method and 37s.

I traded these wheels for the stocks for free and loved the look, but I'm not a fan if it's wearing stuff out that quickly.
    Absolutely, have someone verify it's the box, I very well could be wrong.

Without seeing it in person, I was throwing out a suggestion to help pinpoint a possibility.

16. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Wandering Issue?

Absolutely, have someone verify it's the box, I very well could be wrong.

Without seeing it in person, I was throwing out a suggestion to help pinpoint a possibility.
    It definitely will be the next step.

I appreciate it!

I think I will still add a brace and maybe an upgraded stabilizer.

It can't hurt.

Brace may get me by until I can upgrade the box to something worth it.

18. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  19. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Wandering Issue?

It definitely will be the next step.

I appreciate it!

I think I will still add a brace and maybe an upgraded stabilizer.

It can't hurt.

Brace may get me by until I can upgrade the box to something worth it.
    You may also want to check for play in the upper steering shaft U-joints.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

20. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, Corkey, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast