Thanks Thanks:  10
Likes Likes:  24

Thread: New CTD Basic Upgrades?

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

New CTD Basic Upgrades?

I see a lot of technical tuning advice beyond where I am ready to go.

What would be a few basic mods I could do that would improve driveability and engine performance outside of tuning?

CAI, exhaust about it?

I am not looking for a louder truck.

Thank you,

Last edited by Ofishl1; 09-04-2023 at 11:27 AM. Reason: spell

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, AK Bob thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: New CTD Basic Upgrades?

Quote Originally Posted by Ofishl1 View Post
    I see a lot of technical tuning advice beyond where I am ready to go.

What would be a few basic mods I could do that would improve driveability and engine performance outside of tuning?

CAI, exhaust about it?

I am not looking for a louder truck.

Thank you,
    I can’t think of anything except for something like a Stealth Module.

You can’t modify the exhaust system without tuning.

The CAI alone would hardly be a noticeable performance upgrade over the OEM air box.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

4. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

I had a full ECM/Trans tune on my ED from the guys at Green Diesel Engineering, and it was fantastic work and EPA-compliant.

It was not a performance tune as much as turning off the EGR, but there were some modest HP gains and Torque boost, but no Turbo Lag; with a 3.92 rear, it was a squirter off the line, very nice trans-Tunes, it was like a gasser.

I miss that little truck; it was so much fun to drive.

It had a CAI, 5-inch BDS lift with TOYO 35s, custom AL 5000 airbag kit, and Helwig bar.

It was a little towing beast and handled superbly; ECM tuning on both EDs we had was the only answer.

Even with lifts, those trucks were still getting 20mpg around town, but it was getting a little spooky at 10.000 lbs towing.

Another ECM tune may be part of the solution for CTD in the future.

6. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Thanks for the tip, AKB.

I tried this Commander on the ED before I went to Green Diesel; it was OK but not stellar.

I assume the Stealth goes deeper than this since it plays with the rail mixtures.

I read the reviews, but they were all on the Stealth site, so there's that.

I see few here who said they loved it, and many for sale for one reason.

I suppose anything is detectable with a deep enough brain scan by a slick Service Tech, although my good ole boy from Texas Service guy always knew about my tune and would let no one flash my ECM without my approval; I am lucky in that regard to have him.

The Stealth may be an interesting option if it does not cook something by driving up EGTs.

It's a little pricey for a plug-in, but it makes me wonder if it's much different than the PC in making one "feel" like you get improvement like the PC.

Maybe I am too skeptical of plug-in boxes, having had marginal success with them.

8. Thanks AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ofishl1 View Post
    Thanks for the tip, AKB.

I tried this Commander on the ED before I went to Green Diesel; it was OK but not stellar.

I assume the Stealth goes deeper than this since it plays with the rail mixtures.

I read the reviews, but they were all on the Stealth site, so there's that.

I see few here who said they loved it, and many for sale for one reason.

I suppose anything is detectable with a deep enough brain scan by a slick Service Tech, although my good ole boy from Texas Service guy always knew about my tune and would let no one flash my ECM without my approval; I am lucky in that regard to have him.

The Stealth may be an interesting option if it does not cook something by driving up EGTs.

It's a little pricey for a plug-in, but it makes me wonder if it's much different than the PC in making one "feel" like you get improvement like the PC.

Maybe I am too skeptical of plug-in boxes, having had marginal success with them.

I installed a Stealth module but returned it for a full refund before tuning.

I noticed no performance increase and decided to go with proper tuning.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

10. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, Corkey, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Get an intake and a Banks RAM horn and grid heater delete.

That'll get the turbo spooling quicker.

When you tune an excellent addition, you can take even more advantage, JMO.

12. Thanks AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS, Ofishl1 thanked for this post