Thanks Thanks:  38
Likes Likes:  72
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Air Horns?

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Air Horns?

So, I'm considering adding air/train horns to my truck.

My question is, my truck has the stock rear air ride suspension.

Does the factory tank have enough capacity to use it?

Do I need to add another or upsize?

Does the factory compressor build enough pressure to run the horns? If I add another tank, will it shorten the stock compressor life?

Has anyone done it this way?

I appreciate any input.

2. Thanks Corkey thanked for this post
    Likes Corkey, AK Bob, watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

You might be able to plum a line in for the horns to work.

I strongly suggest Horn Blasters kits.

Get the spare tire delete mount.

I upgraded mine for the additional 2.5gal tank, just to have additional horn time, filling tires, air mattresses etc.

Reason I would be keeping the air ride separated, is for full functionality for the ride, and knowing when hitting the horns, you won't have any worries of deflating bags and or rough movement if hauling weight behind you.

I think I went with the conductor special, have had installed for 2yrs, only had to replace the pressure sensor once.

Just looked at the gauge for you, it stops refilling the tanks @ 124psi, with about 8 to 12 seconds of pure American sound.

II 60HP STICKS, II 33% CP3, II S464 2ND GEN SWAP, FASS 165 TITANIUM SIGNATURE SERIES, AFE INTAKE HORN, S&B FILTER, 5" TURBO BACK, ALPHAREX HEAD LIGHTS, 38X13.5X20 RAZOR M/T, MOTO METAL RIMS, 6" LA LIFT KIT, COMPLET MM3 KIT, BUILT TRANSMISSION, 6 BOLT REDHEAD STEERING BOX

4. Thanks AK Bob, STATELINE, watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, watersupply189 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Corkey View Post
    You might be able to plum a line in for the horns to work.

I strongly suggest Horn Blasters kits.

Get the spare tire delete mount.

I upgraded mine for the additional 2.5gal tank, just to have additional horn time, filling tires, air mattresses etc.

Reason I would be keeping the air ride separated, is for full functionality for the ride, and knowing when hitting the horns, you won't have any worries of deflating bags and or rough movement if hauling weight behind you.

I think I went with the conductor special, have had installed for 2yrs, only had to replace the pressure sensor once.

Just looked at the gauge for you, it stops refilling the tanks @ 124psi, with about 8 to 12 seconds of pure American sound.
    I "lightened up" the exhaust on my truck, so I'm thinking I could mount horns/tank where the unnecessary fluid tank will be removed, and keep my spare. I thought of horn blasters kit, but I think I can source horns, a tank, and switch much cheaper than their kits. I'd have to look to see where exactly the inflate/deflate valves are for the suspension, to see if it would be affected by running the horns. I just really want to make sure they won't over tax the factory compressor.

6. Thanks toyota_mdt_tech thanked for this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

We have a thread around here where a member used the location of the previous tank to mount the new compressor at.

There are quite a few ways to make it happen.

I was just throwing out what I had done.

You'll enjoy the horns LOL.

I will suggest, run it off of an ignition fuse.

I've hit my switch at 4am once or twice on accident, looking around my neighborhood for someone standing on a porch with a shot gun...

II 60HP STICKS, II 33% CP3, II S464 2ND GEN SWAP, FASS 165 TITANIUM SIGNATURE SERIES, AFE INTAKE HORN, S&B FILTER, 5" TURBO BACK, ALPHAREX HEAD LIGHTS, 38X13.5X20 RAZOR M/T, MOTO METAL RIMS, 6" LA LIFT KIT, COMPLET MM3 KIT, BUILT TRANSMISSION, 6 BOLT REDHEAD STEERING BOX

8. Thanks AK Bob, toyota_mdt_tech thanked for this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is the Ram air system is a closed system. I would not tie an airhorn into it. Get a separate system to run the airhorn and you wont have to worry about any loss to the airbags.

2006 2500 QC Laramie 5.9 (Sold in 2016). 2017 3500 DRW CC Laramie, Loaded. MM3 tuned by DRD. 4" SS by Jamo. 68REF, 4.10 Rears. (Sold). 2018 3500 DRW Longhorn CC AISIN 4.10's. On a good health care plan by DRD.

10. Thanks AK Bob thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, Corkey, watersupply189, Power247 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Corkey View Post
    We have a thread around here where a member used the location of the previous tank to mount the new compressor at.

There are quite a few ways to make it happen.

I was just throwing out what I had done.

You'll enjoy the horns LOL.

I will suggest, run it off of an ignition fuse.

I've hit my switch at 4am once or twice on accident, looking around my neighborhood for someone standing on a porch with a shot gun...
    hahahahaaaa...I bet the neighbors didn't even know trains ran thru their backyards.....Thanks for your input my friend!

12. Likes Corkey, AK Bob, watersupply189 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by northstarfire0693 View Post
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is the Ram air system is a closed system. I would not tie an airhorn into it. Get a separate system to run the airhorn and you wont have to worry about any loss to the airbags.
    What exactly do you mean by "closed system"?

14. Likes Corkey, AK Bob, watersupply189 liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by STATELINE View Post
    What exactly do you mean by "closed system"?
    Most air suspension systems are open. Meaning they use outside air and compress it to reach the psi needed. Good example of a standard air compressor. Closed systems dont use any outside air, it uses a compressor to push a puck (best term I can think of) to pressurize the airbags. It's the same concept as an accumulator on an aircraft. Like I said in my first post, I could be wrong, but I read a description that the Ram air system uses nitrogen for the bags and is an enclosed system.

2006 2500 QC Laramie 5.9 (Sold in 2016). 2017 3500 DRW CC Laramie, Loaded. MM3 tuned by DRD. 4" SS by Jamo. 68REF, 4.10 Rears. (Sold). 2018 3500 DRW Longhorn CC AISIN 4.10's. On a good health care plan by DRD.

16. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by northstarfire0693 View Post
    Most air suspension systems are open. Meaning they use outside air and compress it to reach the psi needed. Good example of a standard air compressor. Closed systems dont use any outside air, it uses a compressor to push a puck (best term I can think of) to pressurize the airbags. It's the same concept as an accumulator on an aircraft. Like I said in my first post, I could be wrong, but I read a description that the Ram air system uses nitrogen for the bags and is an enclosed system.
    Absolutely correct, I would not attempt to use the rear airbag system to power an air horn.

Attached Files Attached Files
    2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

17. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bob View Post
    Absolutely correct, I would not attempt to use the rear airbag system to power an air horn.
    Thank you both for that information!
    Greatly appreciated!
    I'll keep it totally separate then.
    Since I'll be going that way, I'll check into a setup with enough capacity to air up tires, etc. also.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast