Thanks Thanks:  38
Likes Likes:  72
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Air Horns?

1. Top Of Page | #11

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by STATELINE View Post
    So, I'm considering adding some air/train horns to my truck...
    My question is, my truck has the stock rear air ride suspension. Does the factory tank have enough capacity to use it? Do I need to add another, or upsize? Does the factory compressor build enough pressure to run the horns? If I add another tank, will it shorten the stock compressor life?
    Anyone done it this way?
    Appreciate any input.
    Do you mean the 3 or 5 chime train horns? They use lots of air. I have 2 trumpets, sounds just like a semi truck. 1 gallon last for quite a few blast. It uses 1/8" plastic air lines. It turns on at 110 PSI, shuts off at 150 PSI.
    Horns are 157 decibels. The entire system is mounted under the bed in the RF corner, space between RR wheel and front of the bed. Compressor is mounted up high, tank on the frame. I have 2 trumpets, they are not "ganged" which gives you more options for mounting. They point forward and downward.

I just upgraded my compressor today with a massive much larger unit and a larger tank, now run 1.5 gallon tank.

Mine is all in an area where nothing is in anyone's way if work needed to be done. I still have my spare tire (see people remove spare to mount 5 chime train horns, dumb...)

I have it set to work with a key, but have a manual off switch and a push button for the horn. They are a lot of fun. People pay attention.

Stay away from the tank/compressor units, get them where they are separate. Make sure the compressor inlet can be piped to suck clean air from inside the cab via and air filter. You can get pieces and build your own, probably the best option.

hornblaster 2 trumpets are perfect.

PM me or ask my any questions on this thread in case others are also curious.

Then look for a tank, 1 to 1.5 gallons. Here is a decent kit.

I just upgraded to the 200 PSI compressor, but had the above one for years with zero issues.

2010 Dodge 2500 SLT CCLB 4WD G56 Cummins 6.7 turbo diesel, 3.42 LSD. Add ons: Banks Monster Ram, Grid heater delete, Spyntec Free Spin Kit with Warn hubs (62672) Laramie Alloys (includes spare), "Powerwagon" Flares, Powerwagon bed decal (4X4 off road) OE Ram mudflaps, OE Slush Mats, OE Clearance Lamps, Geno's shift knob in black, 5" DPF back with muffler delete, spray in bedliner, OE brake controller, Durafit Seat Covers, Pro Tech Toolbox, Speed Turtle, Upfitter switches, Ham Radios, 8 Antennas, headache rack, emergency light bar,....

2. Thanks watersupply189, Corkey, AK Bob, STATELINE thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, Corkey, AK Bob, CrazyTrain liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #12

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by toyota_mdt_tech View Post
    Do you mean the 3 or 5 chime train horns? They use lots of air. I have 2 trumpets, sounds just like a semi truck. 1 gallon last for quite a few blast. It uses 1/8" plastic air lines. It turns on at 110 PSI, shuts off at 150 PSI.
    Horns are 157 decibels. The entire system is mounted under the bed in the RF corner, space between RR wheel and front of the bed. Compressor is mounted up high, tank on the frame. I have 2 trumpets, they are not "ganged" which gives you more options for mounting. They point forward and downward.

I just upgraded my compressor today with a massive much larger unit and a larger tank, now run 1.5 gallon tank.

Mine is all in an area where nothing is in anyone's way if work needed to be done. I still have my spare tire (see people remove spare to mount 5 chime train horns, dumb...)

I have it set to work with a key, but have a manual off switch and a push button for the horn. They are a lot of fun. People pay attention.

Stay away from the tank/compressor units, get them where they are separate. Make sure the compressor inlet can be piped to suck clean air from inside the cab via and air filter. You can get pieces and build your own, probably the best option.

hornblaster 2 trumpets are perfect.

PM me or ask my any questions on this thread in case others are also curious.

You can certainy try your existing air system, sure it will work, may not have the capacity for several good honks.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/gZgAA...hj/s-l1600.jpg

Then look for a tank, 1 to 1.5 gallons. Here is a decent kit.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/0gUAA...--/s-l1600.jpg

I just upgraded to the 200 PSI compressor, but had the above one for years with zero issues.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/hAwAA...oG/s-l1600.jpg
    I'd really like to find a set of real train horns, but they're hard to find, and $$$$$.

Might go with some from a road tractor, they're pretty available.

4. Likes Corkey, AK Bob, watersupply189 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #13

User Info Menu

II 60HP STICKS, II 33% CP3, II S464 2ND GEN SWAP, FASS 165 TITANIUM SIGNATURE SERIES, AFE INTAKE HORN, S&B FILTER, 5" TURBO BACK, ALPHAREX HEAD LIGHTS, 38X13.5X20 RAZOR M/T, MOTO METAL RIMS, 6" LA LIFT KIT, COMPLET MM3 KIT, BUILT TRANSMISSION, 6 BOLT REDHEAD STEERING BOX

6. Likes AK Bob, watersupply189 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #14

User Info Menu

I'd really like to find a set of real train horns, but they're hard to find, and $$$$$.

Might go with some from a road tractor, they're pretty available.
    Stay away from the real train horm mfg such as Nathan, and you can find aftermarkets kits for much less. More trumpets means more air volume, heavier compressor, larger tank, larger plumbing.

Here is a Viking 3 trumpet, not the genuine, but decent.

Maybe get the trumpets and hook to blow nozzle off the compressor and see if you like the sound, then see if you have space to mount them.

My trumpets are huge, maybe 1.5 feet for short ones, 2 feet for longer ones, and large 4-inch ends.

It takes lots of space, when ganged together, limits mounting options; some are stacked vs. inline.

Do an underside RECON mission, and look for your available real estate.

2010 Dodge 2500 SLT CCLB 4WD G56 Cummins 6.7 turbo diesel, 3.42 LSD. Add ons: Banks Monster Ram, Grid heater delete, Spyntec Free Spin Kit with Warn hubs (62672) Laramie Alloys (includes spare), "Powerwagon" Flares, Powerwagon bed decal (4X4 off road) OE Ram mudflaps, OE Slush Mats, OE Clearance Lamps, Geno's shift knob in black, 5" DPF back with muffler delete, spray in bedliner, OE brake controller, Durafit Seat Covers, Pro Tech Toolbox, Speed Turtle, Upfitter switches, Ham Radios, 8 Antennas, headache rack, emergency light bar,....

8. Top Of Page | #15

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by toyota_mdt_tech View Post
    Stay away from the real train horm mfg such as Nathan, and you can find aftermarkets kits for much less. More trumpets means more air volume, heavier compressor, larger tank, larger plumbing.

Here is a Viking 3 trumpet, not the genuine, but decent.

Maybe get the trumpets and hook to blow nozzle off the compressor and see if you like the sound, then see if you have space to mount them.

My trumpets are huge, maybe 1.5 feet for short ones, 2 feet for longer ones, and large 4-inch ends.

It takes lots of space, when ganged together, limits mounting options; some are stacked vs. inline.

Do an underside RECON mission, and look for your available real estate.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/X98AA...lB/s-l1600.png
    Yeah, when I do my next service, I will do some looking around & measuring.

I think once I eliminate that unnecessary piss tank, I'll have some room to work with.

If I'm going to add a compressor and tank, I want to go big enough to air up tires, etc.

Thanks for your input.

Much appreciated!

9. Top Of Page | #16

User Info Menu

Yeah, when I do my next service, I will do some looking around & measuring.

I think once I eliminate that unnecessary piss tank, I'll have some room to work with.

If I'm going to add a compressor and tank, I want to go big enough to air up tires, etc.

Thanks for your input.

Much appreciated!
    Mine will air up a tire.

It might take a little bit.

I took a few pictures of my upgrade today.

Tank-mounted in right under it (see welded on channel iron with 2 holes each)

See the channel iron welded to the frame; this is captured nuts behind it to bolt on the tank bracket.

The new compressor sure is quiet compared to the other ones.

Yes, get a quick coupler for an airline and install an air chuck so you can air it from a home compressor or gas station.

10. Thanks watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  11. Top Of Page | #17

User Info Menu

Oh, get the compressor where you can install a remote inlet filter, i.e., mine is located in the rear area behind the rear seat under the trim covering.

inletair.jpg

12. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  13. Top Of Page | #18

User Info Menu

Re: Air Horns?

OK, I replaced the air solenoid; mine wouldn't open under full pressure.

After replacement, I tidied up all the wiring. I had this in prior but upgraded the compressor to a much larger one along with a larger tank.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12