Thanks Thanks:  18
Likes Likes:  25

Thread: Red Head Box?

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Red Head Box?

I had a redhead installed recently under warranty (the old one was leaking) and recently went down some pretty bad washed-out roads with my gooseneck and developed a rattle when going over bumps.

I was checking out last night and noticed the pitman arm on the gearbox shaft appears to be backed off by quite a bit.

Is it supposed to be installed like this or flush with the box?

I am just trying to rule things out.

Thinking of this isn’t proper; maybe my pitman arm is bouncing around.

I checked my intermediate shaft already, as that was the culprit last time, LOL.

Shocks are new as well.

Rattle developed after the washed-out roads.

They were pretty bad, to the point I would have instead walked.

Attached is an image.

I have a 12 RAM 2500.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Thanks watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Red Head Box?

That looks like it could slide a little further up, in my opinion.

I don’t have any experience with the redhead box, though.

It would probably be wise to check all the linkages, shocks included, to ensure they are good and tight after being on a rough road like that.

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, CC, 4x4

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab ,G56

4. Thanks AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS, timshooter40 thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, JTK86, Corkey, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Red Head Box?

I just checked my redhead, and roughly 1\4" of splines are showing.

It looks very symmetrical to yours.

II 60HP STICKS, II 33% CP3, II S464 2ND GEN SWAP, FASS 165 TITANIUM SIGNATURE SERIES, AFE INTAKE HORN, S&B FILTER, 5" TURBO BACK, ALPHAREX HEAD LIGHTS, 38X13.5X20 RAZOR M/T, MOTO METAL RIMS, 6" LA LIFT KIT, COMPLET MM3 KIT, BUILT TRANSMISSION, 6 BOLT REDHEAD STEERING BOX, YUKON 4.56 GEARS W/ COVERS

6. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Red Head Box?

Quote Originally Posted by Corkey View Post
    I just checked my red head, roughly 1\4" of splines showing.

Looks very symmetrical to yours.
    Thanks for checking.

7. Thanks Corkey, IGOTACUMMINS, timshooter40 thanked for this post
  8. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Re: Red Head Box?

Well, everything is good.

It turns out it’s my intermediate shaft (which is brand new).

When the suspension compresses, I feel the int shaft move down on the spline of the gearbox.

It’s nice and tight, but I was told that’s just how it is on these trucks.

He mentioned that 10-14 years were bad about it.

Other than that, everything is good, and I will live with it.

Kind bummed as after I replaced the shaft truck drove better than a new truck.

It's still good, though, nice and tight.

Just that shaft kind of sucks and has a slight rattle in the feedback on my wheel.

9. Thanks watersupply189, AK Bob thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, AK Bob, Corkey liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JTK86 View Post
    Well, everything is good.

It turns out it’s my intermediate shaft (which is brand new).

When the suspension compresses, I feel the int shaft move down on the spline of the gearbox.

It’s nice and tight, but I was told that’s just how it is on these trucks.

He mentioned that 10-14 years were bad about it.

Other than that, everything is good, and I will live with it.

Kind bummed as after I replaced the shaft truck drove better than a new truck.

It's still good, though, nice and tight.

Just that shaft kind of sucks and has a slight rattle in the feedback on my wheel.

Thanks for the update.

Glad nothing was out of wack!

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, CC, 4x4

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab ,G56

11. Likes AK Bob, Corkey liked this post
  12. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

You should not have any noticeable feel in the steering wheel, if any, a solid tight feel.

Any slight movement of my wheel, the tires react.

Unless the pitman arm was worn out on the splines, or you are noticing other contributing factors you haven't noticed or we're not aware of "post red head."

Tie rod ends, bushings, or other steering components that will contribute to slack 'Ish play.

II 60HP STICKS, II 33% CP3, II S464 2ND GEN SWAP, FASS 165 TITANIUM SIGNATURE SERIES, AFE INTAKE HORN, S&B FILTER, 5" TURBO BACK, ALPHAREX HEAD LIGHTS, 38X13.5X20 RAZOR M/T, MOTO METAL RIMS, 6" LA LIFT KIT, COMPLET MM3 KIT, BUILT TRANSMISSION, 6 BOLT REDHEAD STEERING BOX, YUKON 4.56 GEARS W/ COVERS

13. Thanks AK Bob thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, watersupply189 liked this post
  14. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Red Head Box?

Quote Originally Posted by Corkey View Post
    You should not have any noticeable feel in the steering wheel, if any, a solid tight feel.

Any slight movement of my wheel, the tires react.

Unless the pitman arm was worn out on the splines, or you are noticing other contributing factors you haven't noticed or we're not aware of "post red head."

Tie rod ends, bushings, or other steering components that will contribute to slack 'Ish play.
    It isn’t “play” in the wheel; It drives nice and tight. Just when I am on rough roads or even a bumpy paved road there is a slight vibration that you can feel. Talking with the diesel shop the owner was telling me the intermediate shaft is the culprit. I’ve replaced it twice now since I’ve had this truck; once with a borgosen or W/E it’s called and that was junk; put the factory one back on but it just got worn out so I replaced it with a new factory shaft end of July. Truck drove like it was brand new; prolly better

A couple weekends ago I hauled my horses up to the mountains up some pretty bad dirt roads/two track trails. This caused some wear on the int shaft again; not to the point where it’s junk but to the point where if I’m on a rough road or bumpy it’s gonna compress on that input shaft and cause a vibrate or loose feel in my wheel.

Shop told me he’d replace it under warranty if I wanted but honestly I can live with it and it’s just gonna happen again as all I use my truck for is hauling my horses and tend to go down pretty rough roads to get where I need to go.

I was concerned that the pitman arm wasn’t on far enough but after talking with some other folks I’m good there. As far as the rest of my steering components they are good and not needing any attention.

He told me the int shaft on these trucks is garbage to begin with and kind of a bad design as when the front end compresses it puts a lot of pressure on the int shaft against the spline of the input shaft. They just wear out and sometimes fairly quickly.

15. Thanks AK Bob, Corkey thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, Corkey, watersupply189 liked this post