Thanks Thanks:  15
Likes Likes:  26

Thread: Steering Box - Weak Steering?

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Steering Box - Weak Steering?

Well, my current steering box shat itself.

It began spewing out of the top nut on the box (digging around, I found it was a Delphi unit).

In the UK, I am severely limited to what's on sale on Rockauto unless I pay through the backside in shipping or get it contained over (which will take months).

I ended up replacing it with an Edelmann unit for two reasons.

Mid-range price and no core charge as I don't have the $1800 for a Far From Stock six bolt unit.

When I sucked out the fluid from the pump reservoir, it was black, with some metal shavings inside; the cooler was a little grey.

Replacing the box was straightforward, Pitman arm (Which was the main issue concerning me) pulled off quickly.

The job took me about 2 hours, along with a fluid shower!!

I refilled the system several times and flushed it out five times until the fluid was finally cherry red.

I dissected the steering box for poop and laughter; \many forbidden glitters scored on the casing and black iron-contaminated fluid.

In the bin, it goes.

My concern is, It still does not turn the wheels on a hard surface.

It's an issue, but it's not. I am running 35x12.5 R20s.

I gather it's a lot of rubber to shift at a standstill.

On gravel/sand/grass, it's okay.

Is this a symptom of the (power steering) pump being weak also?

I've gotten used to being unable to move the wheel at a standstill, but as soon as I move, it's feather-light again.

2006 5.9, K&N, smarty tuned com mod, 35x12.5 r20's, Stryker off road control arms, Ranch hand bumper, half black, half raptor lined. Custom twin exit 5" pipes, arp head studs.

2. Thanks watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Steering Box - Weak Steering?

Quote Originally Posted by monkeh View Post
    Well, my current steering box shat itself.

It began spewing out of the top nut on the box (digging around, I found it was a Delphi unit).

In the UK, I am severely limited to what's on sale on Rockauto unless I pay through the backside in shipping or get it contained over (which will take months).

I ended up replacing it with an Edelmann unit for two reasons.

Mid-range price and no core charge as I don't have the $1800 for a Far From Stock six bolt unit.

When I sucked out the fluid from the pump reservoir, it was black, with some metal shavings inside; the cooler was a little grey.

Replacing the box was straightforward, Pitman arm (Which was the main issue concerning me) pulled off quickly.

The job took me about 2 hours, along with a fluid shower!!

I refilled the system several times and flushed it out five times until the fluid was finally cherry red.

I dissected the steering box for poop and laughter; \many forbidden glitters scored on the casing and black iron-contaminated fluid.

In the bin, it goes.

My concern is, It still does not turn the wheels on a hard surface.

It's an issue, but it's not. I am running 35x12.5 R20s.

I gather it's a lot of rubber to shift at a standstill.

On gravel/sand/grass, it's okay.

Is this a symptom of the (power steering) pump being weak also?

I've gotten used to being unable to move the wheel at a standstill, but as soon as I move, it's feather-light again.
    If I'm not mistaken, your brake booster also has something to do with the power steering.

Check for any vacuum leaks.

If I'm wrong on this, please, someone chime in to correct me.

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, CC, 4x4

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab ,G56

4. Thanks Corkey, AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes Corkey, AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Yeah, the hydro-boost is tied in.

Hence, I wasn't referring to the pump as a power steering pump, more just a hydraulic fluid pump.

I've had no leaks or any fluid egress on the hydro-boost.

If anything, the system seems to run under pressure when hot because the reservoir lid "pops" when removed.

The brakes are spot on and haven't got or feel like they're losing power, so I'm assuming the hydro-boost works OK.

2006 5.9, K&N, smarty tuned com mod, 35x12.5 r20's, Stryker off road control arms, Ranch hand bumper, half black, half raptor lined. Custom twin exit 5" pipes, arp head studs.

6. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189 thanked for this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Any update?

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, CC, 4x4

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab ,G56

8. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes Corkey, AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

FWIW, my '18 will turn the wheels quickly, even when stopped on paved surfaces.

I run 37x12.5" tires.

I don't know what's wrong, but it sounds like something isn't right with the symptoms you describe.

10. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Possibly a weak pump.

However, brakes would be affected if the pump was stuffed.

12. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189, AK Bob, Corkey thanked for this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

On my 2017, the steering feels similar to what you describe, but I am turning 38 x 13.5's running about 45psi with dual stabilizers.

It seems to be worse when changing direction from turning one way to turning the other way.

I roll a little, and it makes it easier.

Brent
    2017 Ram 2500 Limited / 6.7 / 68RFE / BDS 8" Lift / 38 x 13.5 Trail Grapplers / 20 x 10 Hostile Wheels
    2020 Ram 2500 Tradesman / 6.7 / 68RFE
    1993 W250 LE / 5.9 12V / G360 - 5 Speed

14. Thanks Corkey, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post