Thanks Thanks:  33
Likes Likes:  78
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stumped - Codes P0706 / U0402

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Stumped - Codes P0706 / U0402

I have been trying to fix the following two CEL codes being pulled from my EZ Lynk.

P0706 - ECM Trans Range Sens A Circ Range/Perf
    U0402 - ABS Invalid Data Received from TCM

Sorry, but this is about to be long.

My truck is a 2017 2500 w/ 68RFE with 102k miles, Tuned w/ EZ Lynk, and has a Randy's Babymaker VB.

I've gotten these two codes randomly for the last couple of years, but they would go away on the next start-up and not return for nine months to a year.

I also get the error when in park "Vehicle not in Park" on the dash and the P flashing.

Everything else usually works with no issues.

This past May, it came back and stayed along with when I put it in reverse drive would light up on the dash, although it would move in reverse fine.

So upon further research, I used the opportunity to upgrade the VB while I had it down and put in a new solenoid, thinking it would cover all the possible things that would cause this.

It did not.

The drive lighting up when put in reverse went away, but I still get the not-in-park error on the dash and the two codes.

The Trans relearn was done, although I had to do a driving relearn due to the CEL, and I even put in another VB and solenoid just in case the ones I got were bad from Randy's, and I still have the same issue.

Below is the troubleshooting that has gone on since.

-All the pins in the solenoid plug look brand new; I de-pinned the entire plug and even put dialectic grease.
    -Local shop searched for frayed or chaffed wires in the harness, but nothing was found.
    -Local shop put a multimeter on it and got all the correct ohms showing the wiring was good to go.
    -I re-pinned the two pins for the signal wires for Park and reversed them using a wiring diagram.
    -Reloaded the tune for the truck twice; the second time, the codes cleared for about a day and then came back.
    -I read that there is a common chaffing point at the firewall for the wire harness, I checked that, and there are no issues.

I don't know what to do anymore; when I clear the code with my EZ Lynk, it returns and does the same when the shop tries to remove it with their snap-on scan tool.

I'm reaching out to see if anyone has any suggestions I haven't tried yet; I'm tempted to take it to the stealership and see what happens besides spending too much money for nothing.

Any help or suggestions on what to do next would be greatly appreciated.

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, AK Bob, watersupply189, Corkey thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Stumped - Codes P0706 / U0402

Quote Originally Posted by Hdawg View Post
    I have been trying to fix the following two CEL codes being pulled from my EZ Lynk.

P0706 - ECM Trans Range Sens A Circ Range/Perf
    U0402 - ABS Invalid Data Received from TCM

Sorry, but this is about to be long.

My truck is a 2017 2500 w/ 68RFE with 102k miles, Tuned w/ EZ Lynk, and has a Randy's Babymaker VB.

I've gotten these two codes randomly for the last couple of years, but they would go away on the next start-up and not return for nine months to a year.

I also get the error when in park "Vehicle not in Park" on the dash and the P flashing.

Everything else usually works with no issues.

This past May, it came back and stayed along with when I put it in reverse drive would light up on the dash, although it would move in reverse fine.

So upon further research, I used the opportunity to upgrade the VB while I had it down and put in a new solenoid, thinking it would cover all the possible things that would cause this.

It did not.

The drive lighting up when put in reverse went away, but I still get the not-in-park error on the dash and the two codes.

The Trans relearn was done, although I had to do a driving relearn due to the CEL, and I even put in another VB and solenoid just in case the ones I got were bad from Randy's, and I still have the same issue.

Below is the troubleshooting that has gone on since.

-All the pins in the solenoid plug look brand new; I de-pinned the entire plug and even put dialectic grease.
    -Local shop searched for frayed or chaffed wires in the harness, but nothing was found.
    -Local shop put a multimeter on it and got all the correct ohms showing the wiring was good to go.
    -I re-pinned the two pins for the signal wires for Park and reversed them using a wiring diagram.
    -Reloaded the tune for the truck twice; the second time, the codes cleared for about a day and then came back.
    -I read that there is a common chaffing point at the firewall for the wire harness, I checked that, and there are no issues.

I don't know what to do anymore; when I clear the code with my EZ Lynk, it returns and does the same when the shop tries to remove it with their snap-on scan tool.

I'm reaching out to see if anyone has any suggestions I haven't tried yet; I'm tempted to take it to the stealership and see what happens besides spending too much money for nothing.

Any help or suggestions on what to do next would be greatly appreciated.
    Sounds like you have already researched this, but I have attached the trouble code information that may offer some insight or help.

Intermittent troubles like this are difficult to reproduce and troubleshoot.

Hopefully, others will have some suggestions.

Attached Files Attached Files
    2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

4. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189, Corkey liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

I haven’t seen these docs before.

The info for the U0402 code is new, I don’t have air suspension, so I’ll talk to the shop to see if they followed the DTC tree.

Part of me wonders if my ECM/TCM is messed up, causing the codes.

Also, I’ve replaced the shift interlock switch.

6. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, AK Bob, watersupply189, Corkey thanked for this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

I haven’t seen these docs before.

The info for the U0402 code is new, I don’t have air suspension, so I’ll talk to the shop to see if they followed the DTC tree.

Part of me wonders if my ECM/TCM is messed up, causing the codes.

Also, I’ve replaced the shift interlock switch.
    I think the U0402 code results from the P0706 transmission code.

Hopefully, it’s not the TCM/ECM; to me, it sounds more like an intermittent electrical wiring connection.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

8. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189, Corkey liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bob View Post
    I think the U0402 code results from the P0706 transmission code.

Hopefully, it’s not the TCM/ECM; to me, it sounds more like an intermittent electrical wiring connection.
    That’s the thing it was intermittent, I guess.

Randomly like once a year, I’d start it and get the same issue, but the next start gone.

This time I got it back in May, and I can’t get it to clear, but the one time I tried to re-tune, it cleared for a couple of days.

Can I hurt anything, or can you re-tune too much?

I've been thinking about swapping tunes to what I ran years ago and seeing what happens.

I've got some old CTT files I haven’t replaced yet cause I haven’t needed to.

10. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

That’s the thing it was intermittent, I guess.

Randomly like once a year, I’d start it and get the same issue, but the next start gone.

This time I got it back in May, and I can’t get it to clear, but the one time I tried to re-tune, it cleared for a couple of days.

Can I hurt anything, or can you re-tune too much?

I've been thinking about swapping tunes to what I ran years ago and seeing what happens.

I've got some old CTT files I haven’t replaced yet cause I haven’t needed to.
    That will be the challenge, trying to get the code to set so you can troubleshoot.

I doubt the tune is causing this issue, but it won’t hurt to eliminate that possibility.

Ensure your batteries are fully charged and on a maintainer when re-flashing your tunes.

12. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, Corkey, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bob View Post
    That will be the challenge, trying to get the code to set so you can troubleshoot.

I doubt the tune is causing this issue, but it won’t hurt to eliminate that possibility.

Ensure your batteries are fully charged and on a maintainer when re-flashing your tunes.
    Sorry, I meant it’s not intermittent anymore.

I used to get it randomly for one start every blue moon but is present and unable to clear for the past couple of months.

14. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Did anyone get any ideas?

I'm starting to lean towards putting it in the shop, although it's already spent about two weeks there with no success.

It's not my tuning, is it?

I have Ezlynk with CTT files on it.

16. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  17. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

We're your batteries fully charged or hooked up to a jump box while flashing the tunes or tuner into the ECM\TCM.

II 60HP STICKS, II 33% CP3, II S464 2ND GEN SWAP, FASS 165 TITANIUM SIGNATURE SERIES, AFE INTAKE HORN, S&B FILTER, 5" TURBO BACK, ALPHAREX HEAD LIGHTS, 38X13.5X20 RAZOR M/T, MOTO METAL RIMS, 6" LA LIFT KIT, COMPLET MM3 KIT, BUILT TRANSMISSION, 6 BOLT REDHEAD STEERING BOX, YUKON 4.56 GEARS W/ COVERS

18. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  19. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Yes, they were fully charged.

However, these code didn't come up until several months after being flashed, I'm not entirely convinced it could be turning-related, but I'm running out of things to try.

I can clear the codes, but they come back as soon as it's turned in.

I've got them to clear ones for about two days when I changed tunes, saw it was still present, then switched back to the original tune, and it stayed clear for about two days, then has been back ever since.

20. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast