Thanks Thanks:  13
Likes Likes:  27

Thread: Losing Boost During Heavy Acceleration?

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Losing Boost During Heavy Acceleration?

Afternoon all, my truck starts losing boost at about 2500 RPMs at full throttle.

Climbs to 36psi, then drops to around 20.

Everything visually looks fine.

Any suggestions?

Side note: I just had my ecm rebuilt due to an electrical issue with the turbo not spooling up.

I also just got new tunes for my EFI Live, and it wasn't from the same guy that did it previously.

'08 | G56 | Carli 3" | Carli Axle Truss | BDS Adjustable Traction Bars | BDS Steering Brace | Red-head Gearbox | Synergy HD Steering | Banks Cold Air Intake | Banks Intake Manifold | Steedspeed Exhaust Manifold | Grid Heater Delete | Fleece Cheetah Turbo | Fleece Fuel Filter Delete | Fass 165gph System | Fass Fuel Heater Disc | Fass Fuel Sump | EFI Live | Fuel Revolver Wheels | 35" BFG All-Terrains

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Have you tried pressurizing the intake at the turbo and checking for small leaks with soapy water?

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

4. Thanks Corkey, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, Corkey, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

So, the ECM had issues with not allowing boost to be made?

It sounds like this could be tune related.

First, look thoroughly.

Boost tubes for holes and or loose clamps.

Turbo gasket bolts are tight.

Intake is flush and tight as well.

Exhaust manifold bolts are tight, and individual gaskets are sealed.

These can be checked easily when the motor is cold, and apply soapy water with a spray bottle.

If bubbles start to, you have found a leak.

Just because the turbo is failing doesn't suggest it's an air issue; it could also be fuel.

If your VGT turbo is still, look at actual vs. desired values on a proper scan tool.

They should be very close to one another.

If there's a big deviation, your actuator could be the culprit.

For the fuel side, look at A\D on the rail pressure.

Check the CP3 to see if it's still making good pressure.

Remove the only electrical wire off the back carefully, choose the PID for rail pressure, and start the truck.

"DO NOT HIT THE PEDDLE" will give you max rail pressure; get the value, turn it off, and reconnect the wire on the CP3.

You should see around 25 to 27k pressure.

The FCA " fuel command actuator" could go out.

Industrial Injection has a kit called "Bag of parts," which should fix that issue instead of a $1500 CP3.

How many miles are on the rig?

Was the tuner well-known?

Was a battery charger plugged in a while flashing, as this could have been a corrupted flash with a lack of voltage?

These are many suggestions, but that'd what runs through my head for the first suggestions.

II 60HP STICKS, II 33% CP3, II S464 2ND GEN SWAP, FASS 165 TITANIUM SIGNATURE SERIES, AFE INTAKE HORN, S&B FILTER, 5" TURBO BACK, ALPHAREX HEAD LIGHTS, 38X13.5X20 RAZOR M/T, MOTO METAL RIMS, 6" LA LIFT KIT, COMPLET MM3 KIT, BUILT TRANSMISSION, 6 BOLT REDHEAD STEERING BOX

6. Thanks AK Bob, watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Yes, there was a short in the ECM where sometimes the turbo would spool up & other times it wouldn't, making the truck lazy.

I'll have to get to your troubleshooting tips this weekend.

I wouldn't think it's the turbo or actuator, as those were examined in troubleshooting the initial problem.

The tunes are from CCS Tuning.

The truck has 250k on it.

'08 | G56 | Carli 3" | Carli Axle Truss | BDS Adjustable Traction Bars | BDS Steering Brace | Red-head Gearbox | Synergy HD Steering | Banks Cold Air Intake | Banks Intake Manifold | Steedspeed Exhaust Manifold | Grid Heater Delete | Fleece Cheetah Turbo | Fleece Fuel Filter Delete | Fass 165gph System | Fass Fuel Heater Disc | Fass Fuel Sump | EFI Live | Fuel Revolver Wheels | 35" BFG All-Terrains

8. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Vains could stick, which would cause hesitation in building boost pressure.

What I'm a bit skeptical about, you had issues with building boost before, then the ecm had problems, and you're running into a similar issue.

If you can hit 36psi, then it drops to 20, hmmm.

If there were a bad leak somewhere, you couldn't peak up to max boost.

Do you have a plugged fuel rail or a shimmed plug?

I should have asked earlier about any DTC that have popped up recently.

II 60HP STICKS, II 33% CP3, II S464 2ND GEN SWAP, FASS 165 TITANIUM SIGNATURE SERIES, AFE INTAKE HORN, S&B FILTER, 5" TURBO BACK, ALPHAREX HEAD LIGHTS, 38X13.5X20 RAZOR M/T, MOTO METAL RIMS, 6" LA LIFT KIT, COMPLET MM3 KIT, BUILT TRANSMISSION, 6 BOLT REDHEAD STEERING BOX

10. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

No DTC's

There's not any hesitation in building up boost.

It just seems to hit a wall at about 2500 RPMs.

12. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

It sounds like your actuator/turbo drops on its face when you build up boost.

Strange it’s not showing any codes.

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, CC, 4x4

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab
    Cummins,G56, Rough Country level, Morimoto LED fog lights, LED headlights, Lund Attitude Steps sprayed with Line-X, DRL's Activated, 35x12.50R18 Falken Wildpeak ATW3, Fuel Vapor Wheels Matte Black w/Dark Tint, A.R.E. Truck cap and swing boxes

14. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, Corkey thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS, Corkey liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Re: Losing Boost During Heavy Acceleration?

Assuming everything mechanical works as designed, the tuning can significantly impact how the boost is built.

Recall the compressor is driven off the turbine, which relies on exhaust gas pressure.

Depending on the commanded fuel, the timing of injection, and duration, you can affect exhaust gas pressure and subsequently boost.

In some of the newer tuning moving away from anything with smoke, you could see lower exhaust gas pressure in the higher RPMs.

Another factor is the tuner may have overlooked a limiter table in tune.

I have been bitten by that a time or two.

-Muzzy

2008 Megacab 4x4 G56 Trans - All mods lost in boating accident - EFI Live by Muzzy, 2nd gen S467.7/83/1.0, Banks Monster Ram, 5" Exhaust, Grid Heater Delete, Rail Plug, BD Flowmax LP, SB Clutch, Fuel Sump -8AN line, Bilstein 5100s, Cali Track Bar, Dynatec B-joints, Level Springs, 1" Lift Shackles Rear, Royal Purple Lubricants...there is probably more that I forgot.

16. Thanks watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post