Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  7

Thread: Transmission Shop Recommendations - Tulsa Area - 68RFE Throwing Code P0871

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Transmission Shop Recommendations - Tulsa Area - 68RFE Throwing Code P0871

I’m looking for a quality transmission shop for my 68RFE in the Tulsa/NE Oklahoma area, as I live east of Tulsa, about 30 miles.

I have a 2014 RAM 3500 4x4 mega single wheel with 120k, and I have owned it from new off the lot in 2014.

The trans is not original to the truck as at 10k, the trans failed, and Dodge rebuilt it under warranty and would not replace it.

Until two weeks ago, I had no problem with the trans pulling my toy haulers.

I have a weight loss program but keep it in the lower settings and only have a mild trans-tune.

I have had this for four years and pulled multiple times my 5th wheel to Colorado, New Mexico, with the setup currently.

I’m getting the P0871 error “OD Pressure Switch Rationality,” which puts the truck into Limp mode.

From my reading, I hope it is just a valve body issue which I am not opposed to trying to swap on my own as I don’t want to do the work only to find I have more problems.

The code threw once two weeks ago when I was not pulling a trailer.

I was accelerating to merge off a cloverleaf. I cleared the code and thought it was a fluke.

I then went to Tenn pulling our 40’ Raptor toy hauler.

The code threw again when accelerating from a merge lane.

I cleared it, and all was good the rest of the day; pulling 250 miles when we turned uphill from a stop, it went again.

I cleared codes that night, finished the trip, and got to our destination.

I babied it the whole way and ended up driving most of that day in limp mode, as speed limits were low on our route.

It throws a code under hard acceleration or if rpm’s are above 2k in the 20/30 mph range.

If I could feather past that shift point, all was good and it pulled fine, but bank to slow down for construction, stop lights, and traffic, I had a high chance of throwing the code.

On our way home from Tenn, all 750 miles of it, I threw the code 3 times.

I never heard bad noises when in limp mode or any other time.

Just a hard shift between 1 and 2 in limp mode if I was not checking speeds and rpm.

Temps were never above 210, even in limp mode.

I'm unsure if I was tired, but it did feel a bit weaker in the upper speeds toward the end of the trip.

At that point, it was getting home or blowing up the trans, per my wife.

Sunday, I took the truck empty on a test drive and could not get it to throw a code.

I did the hard acceleration out of turns and kept the rpm’s up at slower speeds, and the truck felt strong.

All that to say, I need a reputable shop to diagnose and fix my trans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189 thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Transmission Shop Recommendations - Tulsa Area - 68RFE Throwing Code P0871

Quote Originally Posted by kkroeker View Post
    I’m looking for a quality transmission shop for my 68RFE in the Tulsa/NE Oklahoma area, as I live east of Tulsa, about 30 miles.

I have a 2014 RAM 3500 4x4 mega single wheel with 120k, and I have owned it from new off the lot in 2014.

The trans is not original to the truck as at 10k, the trans failed, and Dodge rebuilt it under warranty and would not replace it.

Until two weeks ago, I had no problem with the trans pulling my toy haulers.

I have a weight loss program but keep it in the lower settings and only have a mild trans-tune.

I have had this for four years and pulled multiple times my 5th wheel to Colorado, New Mexico, with the setup currently.

I’m getting the P0871 error “OD Pressure Switch Rationality,” which puts the truck into Limp mode.

From my reading, I hope it is just a valve body issue which I am not opposed to trying to swap on my own as I don’t want to do the work only to find I have more problems.

The code threw once two weeks ago when I was not pulling a trailer.

I was accelerating to merge off a cloverleaf. I cleared the code and thought it was a fluke.

I then went to Tenn pulling our 40’ Raptor toy hauler.

The code threw again when accelerating from a merge lane.

I cleared it, and all was good the rest of the day; pulling 250 miles when we turned uphill from a stop, it went again.

I cleared codes that night, finished the trip, and got to our destination.

I babied it the whole way and ended up driving most of that day in limp mode, as speed limits were low on our route.

It throws a code under hard acceleration or if rpm’s are above 2k in the 20/30 mph range.

If I could feather past that shift point, all was good and it pulled fine, but bank to slow down for construction, stop lights, and traffic, I had a high chance of throwing the code.

On our way home from Tenn, all 750 miles of it, I threw the code 3 times.

I never heard bad noises when in limp mode or any other time.

Just a hard shift between 1 and 2 in limp mode if I was not checking speeds and rpm.

Temps were never above 210, even in limp mode.

I'm unsure if I was tired, but it did feel a bit weaker in the upper speeds toward the end of the trip.

At that point, it was getting home or blowing up the trans, per my wife.

Sunday, I took the truck empty on a test drive and could not get it to throw a code.

I did the hard acceleration out of turns and kept the rpm’s up at slower speeds, and the truck felt strong.

All that to say, I need a reputable shop to diagnose and fix my trans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Hopefully, someone familiar with your area will recommend a good transmission shop.

Meanwhile, I have attached the troubleshooting information on the code for your reference.

Attached Files Attached Files
    2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

4. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, Corkey, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post