Thanks Thanks:  15
Likes Likes:  21

Thread: White Smoke - Very Rough Idle - Need Urgent Help!

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

White Smoke - Very Rough Idle - Need Urgent Help!

Hello everyone, so I'm at my wit's end here.

Brace yourselves for a long post as I'm trying to provide all the details of what's going on and what I've done so far.

I had this problem with rail pressure locking out at 12k psi and not allowing it to go beyond that.

It would happen when I get into the throttle hard and I'm on level 4 or 5 on the five-position switch.

I could fix it by letting off the throttle, changing the switch to another level, and then returning to the previous one I was on.

Then sometimes it would throw a code (I forget which one I'll have to look I think I took screenshots from the EZ Lynk), but if it threw a code, I would have to pull over and clear it to get my normal rail pressure back.

It feels like limp mode; the truck ultimately falls on its face.

Everything I found reading forums etc., led me to the PRV/LV on the fuel rail.

I found a new PRV/LV from T&C Diesel while browsing the site; I also saw the ported rail they offer, so I went ahead with that.

So a few weeks ago, I did the rail swap (PRV/LV was already installed in the new rail.)

I finished late on Sunday and started the truck running smoothly and normally.

Drove it home about 2-3 miles, and it went fine.

I left for work the following day, and about 20 miles into my commute, the truck started running rough and would shudder upon any acceleration at any rpm, along with white smoke.

A pretty moderate amount.

I got the truck back home, pulled the lines and rail back off, reinspected them, and blew out the lines with brake cleaner and compressed air.

I felt like I was pretty damn careful to keep things clean.

I put the lines in a plastic baggy and capped the crossover tubes with a piece of rubber hose to keep debris from entering.

I inspected/cleaned the lines and rail the best I could, didn't find any debris or filth, and reinstalled everything.

Did an injector kill test with AlfaOBD/OBD link MX+.

Only the #6 injector seemed to have any chance, as it cleared up the smoke a decent amount but still not entirely and did not fix the rough idle.

White smoke and rough idle are still there.

I pulled it all apart again, and this time, I also removed the crossover tubes to inspect/clean them.

They were also clean. Put everything back together again—the same thing.

I pulled everything apart again for the 3rd time, removed the injectors, and had them sent off for testing.

Results came back as decent and would probably run okay, but the replacement was recommended as they were out of spec on the return—too much fuel.

So to rule out those, I bought a NEW, not reman, set of BBI stage 0.1 injectors and cover tubes.

This was all done a few weeks ago.

Yesterday, I installed the new injectors and followed the torque sequence.

I did the valve lash as well while I was in there.

Put the new rail back on, got everything buttoned up, and fired it up, and to no surprise, the smoke and rough idle were still there.

Also, I cannot for the life of me find where to input injector trim codes with AlfaOBD.

I have a couple of buddies with scan tools that will probably be able to do it.

I've read guys never put them in, and it runs fine. Others say you have to put them in. I'd instead put them in even though the new injectors are flow matched)

A little to add when I first noticed the problem on my commute to work, my rail pressures were at 5800 actual, and desired was the same.

I also unplugged the FCA, which was as it should be at around 26-29k in a few weeks; I can't remember well.

I pulled the FCA off, inspected it for debris, and inspected inside the CP3 where the FCA goes, and they were clean.

Also, I have zero codes other than those that pop up from unplugging things and disconnecting the batteries.

There are zero codes once they're all plugged back in and codes cleared.

I will swap the old rail back in after I make this post and see if that changes anything.

I'll also get some updated rail pressures for you guys before I do it and update here.

If the old rail doesn't fix anything and nobody can help me here, I will take it to the local performance diesel shop.

I'm mechanically inclined but at a loss; THE TRUCK HAS 120k miles on it.

Delete/tune was done at 60k.

Sorry for such a long post; I just wanted to give the most details and try to remove as many back-and-forth questions as possible.

Hopefully, this qualifies as urgent as I am trying to do all this while going to work, taking the wife's truck, and leaving her stranded at home with a 3-year-old and one in the oven.

I'm in a pretty shitty situation, so thanks in advance for the help.

My number is (209) 985-0525 if anyone feels inclined to calm or text.

My name is Josh.

2018 Ram 3500 ccsb SRW 4x4
    CTT tuned with EZ Lynk and completely deleted
    5” Flo Pro straight turbo back
    S&B CAI
    Throttle Valve deleted with Banks Monster Ram
    BBI Stage 0.1 Injectors
    Stage 2 Randy’s Transmission with Juice Box thermal bypass

2. Thanks watersupply189, Corkey, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: White Smoke - Very Rough Idle - Need Urgent Help!

EDIT: checked for blowby with oil cap.

No blowby didn’t even move the cap a little bit.

I also changed the oil and filter with the usual amsoil 15w-40 signature series full synthetic oil when I originally did the rail swap the first time.

I also installed a FASS 165 after the white smoke and rough idling/acceleration happened. (I didn’t have enough time when I originally swapped the rail) so I have new fuel filters.

S&B CAI
    BBI Stage 0.1 Injectors

4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

I got the old fuel rail back in, and it’s worse now.

Smoke doesn’t seem as bad now with the new injectors, but the desired RP is 5800, and my actual is 1-1.5.

It will barely stay running.

Injector kill tests make it run even tougher and choppier.

Number 6 injector kill gets rid of the smoke about 97% but still running rough, shaking the truck.

Still no codes and no leaks.

Possible bad CP3?

In which case, it would be the crappiest coincidence that it went out at the same time I did the rail swap originally.

S&B CAI
    BBI Stage 0.1 Injectors

5. Thanks watersupply189, Corkey, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  6. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jdepuy618 View Post
    I got the old fuel rail back in, and it’s worse now.

Smoke doesn’t seem as bad now with the new injectors, but the desired RP is 5800, and my actual is 1-1.5.

It will barely stay running.

Injector kill tests make it run even tougher and choppier.

Number 6 injector kill gets rid of the smoke about 97% but still running rough, shaking the truck.

Still no codes and no leaks.

Possible bad CP3?

In which case, it would be the crappiest coincidence that it went out at the same time I did the rail swap originally.
    It sounds like it could be the FCA or CP3 pump.

When you disconnect the FCA, does the actual rail pressure max at around 26K PSI?

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

7. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, Corkey, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  8. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

I haven’t unplugged the FCA since the rail pressure dropped.

I’ve exhausted all of my knowledge of what to do.

It’s probably going to go to the shop. I will say that rail pressure was good before I swapped the injectors, and pressure spiked to 29k after unplugging the FCA.

I will post the solution after returning from the shop, though.

S&B CAI
    BBI Stage 0.1 Injectors