Thanks Thanks:  58
Likes Likes:  95
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: P0341 Camshaft Code Intermittent?

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

P0341 Camshaft Code Intermittent?

Hi all, after a bit of advice.

Every so often, I would get the check engine light on. Smarty reports back the P0341 Camshaft position sensor.

As you do, Clear the code and think nothing of it.

Fast forward a few years of this intermittently happening.

I could run it for weeks, 5-10 miles daily to a 400-mile tank-to-tank run cross country.

Now it appears within 2-3 journeys, and today, it's cleared and greeted me again within 20-30 seconds of driving.

Nothing abnormal happens when the code is thrown, no stumble, no hesitation; it could be mid-cruise at 70, accelerating, decelerating, or idle.

Naturally, I Googled the hell out of it and had folk say check to the wire, check for chafing.

Someone has been there before because my A/C connector was rape-taped up.

Peeling it back along with the plastic sheathing reveals no chafing against the parts.

Nor does Smarty or APPcar see pending codes for P0341; it happens and is immediate.

Before getting one shipped over to the UK with my next Rock order, is there anything I can check while underneath or other points that I can get to that are hidden out of immediate view?

I'm reluctant to load parts cannon at things I can tackle.

I see the sensor, a piece of cake to get at.

Is it an arch nemesis-like wiring?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

2006 5.9, K&N, smarty tuned com mod, 35x12.5 r20's, Stryker off road control arms, Ranch hand bumper, half black, half raptor lined. Custom twin exit 5" pipes, arp head studs.

2. Thanks AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189 thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: P0341 Camshaft Code Intermittent?

It could be a bad sensor; there are some checks you can perform to verify the circuit.

See attached troubleshooting information.

Attached Files Attached Files
    2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

4. Thanks Corkey, monkeh, watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes Corkey, watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

I would say your sensor is bad.

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, CC, 4x4

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab
    Cummins,G56, Rough Country level, Morimoto LED fog lights, LED headlights, Lund Attitude Steps sprayed with Line-X, DRL's Activated, 35x12.50R18 Falken Wildpeak ATW3, Fuel Vapor Wheels Matte Black w/Dark Tint, A.R.E. Truck cap and swing boxes

6. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS, Corkey liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

The code has been consistent, with 10-20 miles max of grace.

If engine speed is consistent, acceleration or deceleration triggers the fault.

Well, the sensor arrived a few days ago and went today.

There must be two different sensor types because mine was a dry type, not into any oil gallery, and the crank tone ring was on the balancer.

It must be my experience working on French cars because it was a breeze to pull out.

The O ring had welded itself to the engine casing.

Popped out with a bit of foul language, a new one lubed up, and in it goes.

The tone ring was fine, it was solid and gave a nice chime when struck with a screwdriver, so I know it's not shifting.

Time will tell.

2006 5.9, K&N, smarty tuned com mod, 35x12.5 r20's, Stryker off road control arms, Ranch hand bumper, half black, half raptor lined. Custom twin exit 5" pipes, arp head studs.

8. Thanks AK Bob, Corkey, watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Bugger.

It's wiring.

Just what I dreaded.

Can the whole harness be threaded up to the top of the engine to be inspected thoroughly?

10. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by monkeh View Post
    Bugger.

It's wiring.

Just what I dreaded.

Can the whole harness be threaded up to the top of the engine to be inspected thoroughly?
    That’s a good question; hopefully, that’s the case; otherwise, it will be difficult to find.

If all else fails, you may need to run a bypass circuit.

Since you don’t see any 5V reference trouble codes, it’s probably the signal or sensor ground circuit.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

12. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes Corkey, watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by monkeh View Post
    The code has been consistent, with 10-20 miles max of grace.

If engine speed is consistent, acceleration or deceleration triggers the fault.

Well, the sensor arrived a few days ago and went today.

There must be two different sensor types because mine was a dry type, not into any oil gallery, and the crank tone ring was on the balancer.

It must be my experience working on French cars because it was a breeze to pull out.

The O ring had welded itself to the engine casing.

Popped out with a bit of foul language, a new one lubed up, and in it goes.

The tone ring was fine, it was solid and gave a nice chime when struck with a screwdriver, so I know it's not shifting.

Time will tell.
    Can someone explain?

These trucks don't have separate cam/crank sensors, correct?

Interchangeable.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

14. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Badger2078 View Post
    Can someone explain?

Interchangeable.

I will try to change them around.

I can't think that this would be faulty out of the box - standard components.

So it's not cheap chinesium crap from eBay.

All my stuff comes from Rockauto, and it's got the old "Made in the Peoples Republic of Mexico" on it. It may be that it is faulty.

Looking elsewhere, I have been given a list of where to look for potential "Signal loss," and I will take action on that.

I may remove the ECM and investigate further.

I know removing the ECM means I can get to the cam sensor - the same part, according to Rocks.

Edit: It looks like the cam and crank position sensor, along with fan controller connectors, are all on one single pigtail of harness, a 10mm nut securing it.

After removing the ECM, I could bring the whole unit up behind the fuel pump and begin the inspection.

I've done a disturb wiggle.

Will return the truck to stock software tonight, too; see what happens.

I thought it might be a corrupt write; I also wrote the 5-9 tuning software to a capture tune.

That may be upsetting things.

16. Thanks AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  17. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Badger2078 View Post
    Can someone explain?

Interchangeable.

The cam and crank sensors are separate sensors with the same P/N 68526830AA.

18. Thanks Corkey, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, Corkey, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  19. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bob View Post
    The cam and crank sensors are separate sensors with the same P/N 68526830AA.
    Yep, I saw it on R/A.

I will pull the PCM off and gain access.

I printed the wiring diagram off, and I'll work off that.

Hopefully, its troubleshooting info will help.

Trucks reverted back to stock so that it will be like a flipping dog off at the lights for a while.

Fingers crossed, I messed up with a tune!

20. Thanks AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast