Thanks Thanks:  58
Likes Likes:  95
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: P0341 Camshaft Code Intermittent?

1. Top Of Page | #11

User Info Menu

Re: P0341 Camshaft Code Intermittent?

So findings reverted back to stock, and the usual places I'd put the hammer down and the light would come on, it didn't.

I'm waiting for Rob Duggans eco tune to be written to the ecm via Smarty half way home.

The rest of the journey home will hopefully tell if it's the wiring or a massive software glitch. Lesson learned - "Revert to stock software first".

2006 5.9, K&N, smarty tuned com mod, 35x12.5 r20's, Stryker off road control arms, Ranch hand bumper, half black, half raptor lined. Custom twin exit 5" pipes, arp head studs.

2. Thanks watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #12

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by monkeh View Post
    So findings reverted back to stock, and the usual places I'd put the hammer down and the light would come on, it didn't.

I'm waiting for Rob Duggans eco tune to be written to the ecm via Smarty half way home.

The rest of the journey home will hopefully tell if it's the wiring or a massive software glitch. Lesson learned - "Revert to stock software first".
    Sounds encouraging.

Hopefully, it’s just a software glitch.

Ensure the batteries are fully charged or, better yet, on a maintainer when you flash your software update.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

4. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS, Corkey liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #13

User Info Menu

Please keep us updated; we appreciate everything you have posted.

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, CC, 4x4

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab ,G56

6. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, Corkey, AK Bob liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #14

User Info Menu

Did the retune fix the issue?

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

8. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, Corkey, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #15

User Info Menu

So radio silence, apologies. Reverting back to stock did not fix it.

I began tearing at the wiring and continuity checking the pins on the ECM according to the service data.

All was good, even wiggle-testing wiring harnesses as I did so.

I took the ECM out and verified there were no green crusties in the local grounds and pins to the connectors.

Sprayed most of the oiled wiring and pulled it up for inspection; apart from now gummed-up insulation tape from a brakekleen bath, all wiring seems chafe free.

I did note a possible canbus issue with where I'd tapped in for the smarty com-mod.

The connections I'd made looked weathered; I will make those good in the next few days.

ECM connectors weren't screwed tight but got sprayed with contact cleaner before reassembly; they got nipped up as tight as I felt safe on a 1/4" drive.

So, hard reset basically by battery off, ECM disconnected, Continuity and resistance checked relevant wires to the crank sensor.

Also, after breaking the cheap flimsy connector to my pyrometer on the smarty and having to fix that by soldering direct to the board, I found a PID for crankshaft speed; it's now on my hud.

I feel all the wiring flexing will just be buying time.

At least by seeing if the crank sensor loses signal, I might see it on the smarty.

The longer I think about it, the more I hear the words ECM etched into my head.

Today, no codes; let's see what the next few days bring.

I could have a whole load of nothing, or the off chance of cleaning connections and wiggling wires "may" have patched a hole temporarily.

2006 5.9, K&N, smarty tuned com mod, 35x12.5 r20's, Stryker off road control arms, Ranch hand bumper, half black, half raptor lined. Custom twin exit 5" pipes, arp head studs.

10. Thanks AK Bob, watersupply189, Corkey, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  11. Top Of Page | #16

User Info Menu

Further Findings - today, the code comes back.

Smarty is showing an interesting finding; the camshaft position sensor jumps about on acceleration upwards, not downwards.

I'm wondering what could be causing that.

I have also been told that I should replace the cam sensor too.

12. Thanks watersupply189, AK Bob, Corkey, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  13. Top Of Page | #17

User Info Menu

Findings are shown in the video if anyone can help.

The spikes in the camshaft rpm set the code.

It didn't ding this time because it was already set.

14. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189 thanked for this post
  15. Top Of Page | #18

User Info Menu

Findings are shown in the video if anyone can help.

The spikes in the camshaft rpm set the code.

It didn't ding this time because it was already set.

Just thinking out loud, but I believe the next step would be to put a scope on the cam sensor signal to compare it with a known good waveform and to see if it drops out at a higher RPM.

I was just wondering if you have a bad cam signal or if the ECM is not processing the signal correctly.

It could also be a cam crank correlation error causing the issue.

Ideally, replacing cam and crank sensors with new OEM would be a good idea.

It may even be worthwhile to try switching the cam and crank sensors around to see if you can get a crank sensor error.

16. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189, Corkey liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #19

User Info Menu

I wouldn't know where to get a suitable waveform from.

Maybe at idle?

The original crank sensor got shoved back in yesterday.

I am sending the Standard parts back for a refund, as they are potentially faulty.

I'm awaiting a contact back from a friend who services Cummins with OEM parts to see if he can help source parts.

I begrudge paying quadruple the amount for a Mopar unit; that is probably just a stamped Standard part.

In the meantime, I've another pair of Delphi's on their way to satisfy the cam, and the crank is renewed.

Delphi over here is a brand I can put a little confidence in.

I hope it's not the ECM; I have a repair shop to fall back on if everything fails. (3-hour drive).

I am determined to nail this on the head myself. I am bettering myself.

18. Thanks watersupply189, AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  19. Top Of Page | #20

User Info Menu

I wouldn't know where to get a suitable waveform from.

Maybe at idle?

The original crank sensor got shoved back in yesterday.

I am sending the Standard parts back for a refund, as they are potentially faulty.

I'm awaiting a contact back from a friend who services Cummins with OEM parts to see if he can help source parts.

I begrudge paying quadruple the amount for a Mopar unit; that is probably just a stamped Standard part.

In the meantime, I've another pair of Delphi's on their way to satisfy the cam, and the crank is renewed.

Delphi over here is a brand I can put a little confidence in.

I hope it's not the ECM; I have a repair shop to fall back on if everything fails. (3-hour drive).

I am determined to nail this on the head myself. I am bettering myself.
    Yes, I think you are on the right track with the sensors.

I agree it’s best to try and figure these things out and gain more knowledge along the way.

I checked the Pico waveform library but nothing for your 2006 2500.

My thinking was if you had a known good, you could compare it with yours to see if the sensor signal looks correct and if it remains present at the sensor and then at the ECM when the fault occurs.

20. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes Corkey, IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189 liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast