Thanks Thanks:  29
Likes Likes:  79
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Front End Clicking?

1. Top Of Page | #11

User Info Menu

Re: Front End Clicking?

Quote Originally Posted by jgruberman View Post
    I think after replacing the wheel hub, the clicking sound has gone away. I've tried to replicate it by making some slow sharp turns and haven't heard any sounds yet.

Should I still replace that u-joint because it's visibly bad? Or if I don't hear anymore problems, that u-joint might be fine? I just know that it's still covered under warranty and I've still spoke with the dealership about it and they are ready to replace it if need be

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
    Yes, I would go ahead and replace it.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

2. Thanks jgruberman, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #12

User Info Menu

Sorry was tied up for a bit.
    As AK Bob stated, go ahead and replace those U-Joints since you already got them out.

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, CC, 4x4

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab ,G56

4. Likes AK Bob, Corkey liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #13

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by watersupply189 View Post
    Sorry was tied up for a bit.
    As AK Bob stated, go ahead and replace those U-Joints since you already got them out.

I actually warranty replaced the hub at Napa and just swapped out the axle from the dealer. As far as the dealer replacement process, I either have to bring them the defective part, or buy a whole new one and then just bring the defective one back in the same box and packaging. For ease of transportation and because I'm tired of taking Uber's everywhere, I just bought a whole new axle and I'm on the way back to return the old one.

6. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, watersupply189, Corkey liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #14

User Info Menu

But for reference, the original complaint of clicking seemed to have been resolved with replacing the hub. Napa thinks it was a defective unit because the particular line that I got rarely sees replacements they said. It's the fleet version or something like that, but I know every now and then there might be a bad part.

I figured with the u-joint that loose, I might as well replace that too if the dealership was willing to swap out the park for me, and fortunately they were

8. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
  9. Top Of Page | #15

User Info Menu

But for reference, the original complaint of clicking seemed to have been resolved with replacing the hub. Napa thinks it was a defective unit because the particular line that I got rarely sees replacements they said. It's the fleet version or something like that, but I know every now and then there might be a bad part.

I figured with the u-joint that loose, I might as well replace that too if the dealership was willing to swap out the park for me, and fortunately they were

Yeah these hub OEM bearings are junk. I replaced my drivers side last year at 90k miles.
    It never made any sound or warning.
    I was rotating my tires and did the shake test, the drivers side wobbled a good 2-3” side to side. Passenger side was still solid.

10. Likes AK Bob, Corkey liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #16

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by watersupply189 View Post
    Yeah these hub OEM bearings are junk. I replaced my drivers side last year at 90k miles.
    It never made any sound or warning.
    I was rotating my tires and did the shake test, the drivers side wobbled a good 2-3” side to side. Passenger side was still solid.

I actually when they went bad, replaced both sides with these:
    https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/FLTF...pressionRank=1

One of these went bad within maybe a few months but the guy at the store said it's extremely rare, they sell all those to the city vehicles, etc.

Moreso, when both u-joints on either side went bad, both of these were so fused in the axle yoke, I ended up buying new axles on both sides (with u-joint already installed)

12. Thanks watersupply189, AK Bob thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, AK Bob, Corkey liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #17

User Info Menu

I actually when they went bad, replaced both sides with these:
    https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/FLTF...pressionRank=1

One of these went bad within maybe a few months but the guy at the store said it's extremely rare, they sell all those to the city vehicles, etc.

Moreso, when both u-joints on either side went bad, both of these were so fused in the axle yoke, I ended up buying new axles on both sides (with u-joint already installed)

They look like quality hubs.

I went with O’Riellys.

I was leaving for vacation that evening and was in a hurry so that’s the only reason I only replaced the bad one.

So far both sides are still tight.

14. Likes AK Bob, Corkey liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #18

User Info Menu

So this ticking sound is still here, maybe even a bit more pronounced now. It still sounds like it's coming from the front right side, but of course that's the window I'm closest to.

I have replaced both bearings/hubs and both axles/u-joints within the last two months and I can almost guarantee the sound can be reproduced if I turn my wheel hard one way and accelerate.

I'm at a loss for what other things it could be. I do hear other sounds under there like general creaking and clanking and metal parts but I assume that's all the suspension stuff that needs to be either tightened or greased. Nothing I can find makes that metal ticking sound.

16. Likes watersupply189, AK Bob, Corkey liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #19

User Info Menu

To add more information, I noticed it when I was decelerating and braking in a turn lane. I hadn't actually started turning yet but I was just applying the brakes and decelerating

18. Likes watersupply189, AK Bob, Corkey liked this post
  19. Top Of Page | #20

User Info Menu

I just pulled that tire off and started to take apart the brakes and thought that maybe the brake pad clips were a little loose. I bent the clips a little bit so they would sit more snug in the holder and applied some caliper grease to the pins. All that came out was rust and dust so I will report back next time I drive it

20. Thanks AK Bob thanked for this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast