Thanks Thanks:  13
Likes Likes:  29

Thread: 68RFE Trans Question

1. Top Of Page | #1

68RFE Trans Question

I'm hoping someone can answer the question about an automatic transmission; I'm new.

I had a 2nd gen Cummins that recently got stolen, so I'm looking into a newer one.

I am currently looking to buy a 2018, which already has a Revmax stage 5 triple disc 15 vain ultra-low stall converter, Revmax valve body and Revmax flex plate, and ARP425 studs.

With this done to the transmission, my question is, is this a good upgrade, and what kind of drivability should I expect from this?

I will be doing moderate upgrades in the future" turbo, injectors, FASS fuel system, and ECT, but for now, just wondering how reliable and drivable this will make the truck.

Thank you for any input to a possible new automatic transmission owner.

God bless!

2. Thanks watersupply189, Corkey, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: 68RFE Trans Question

Try to find out as much as you can about the truck.

Was it a grocery getter who just wanted upgrades, or did someone beat on it needing the Revmax trans, etc.?

If it's low miles and just was used as a bro dozer, you got about 10k of nice upgrades, assuming they have receipts for the work and it was done correctly.

4. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189, Corkey thanked for this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

Thanks for the reply; unfortunately, I can't contact the guy that did the upgrades.

The only reason I found out he did the work was that he had a tune from DRD, so I contacted Ray to come to find out he had the work done to the trans as well as head studs.

Sorry, for the late response never got a notification that someone responded.

6. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4
    Permanent Vacation Chrisn162001's Avatar

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Collin.Smith View Post
    I'm hoping someone can answer the question about an automatic transmission; I'm new.

I had a 2nd gen Cummins that recently got stolen, so I'm looking into a newer one.

I am currently looking to buy a 2018, which already has a Revmax stage 5 triple disc 15 vain ultra-low stall converter, Revmax valve body and Revmax flex plate, and ARP425 studs.

With this done to the transmission, my question is, is this a good upgrade, and what kind of drivability should I expect from this?

I will be doing moderate upgrades in the future" turbo, injectors, FASS fuel system, and ECT, but for now, just wondering how reliable and drivable this will make the truck.

Thank you for any input to a possible new automatic transmission owner.

God bless!
    Hopefully, he replaced the input shaft with a billet one.

Triple disc converters lock up hard and can easily break stock input shafts.

You’ll need to get the transmission built when you go bigger on the turbo and injectors.

At the very least, some overdrive drum upgrade.

I would also get revmax to re-stall the converter to a low stall or stock stall, depending on the turbo size you plan on going with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Thanks Corkey, IGOTACUMMINS, BuckMeister thanked for this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

So other than getting the torque converter getting re-stalled to stock or low stall from an ultra-low stall and possibly billet input shaft and overdrive drum, what else would I need to do to trans to support 100-150hp injectors and turbo or compound upgrade?

Every other truck that I did up was a 6spd, so auto is new to me.

10. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6
    Permanent Vacation Chrisn162001's Avatar

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=Collin.Smith;240648So other than getting the torque converter getting re-stalled to stock or low stall from an ultra-low stall and possibly billet input shaft and overdrive drum, what else would I need to do to trans to support 100-150hp injectors and turbo or compound upgrade?

Every other truck that I did up was a 6spd, so auto is new to me.[/QUOTE]

Are you planning to work yourself or have someone build it?

Add extra clutches to 2c and 4c packs, upgraded roller style low reverse sprag, weld the planet pins on the output shaft.

I would get the valves in the pump vacuum checked or just go ahead and oversize them or buy a pre done pump.

My recommendation is if you want 700hp build it to Revmaxs 850 specs at minimum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

I want to do it myself if I can be down a vehicle.

If not, I'll have to pay someone to do it really do appreciate your advice on beefing up the trans.

14. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post