Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  19

Thread: 2019 RAM 3500 H.O. Issues W/ Acceleration Whoosh And Tick Noise

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

2019 RAM 3500 H.O. Issues W/ Acceleration Whoosh And Tick Noise

Issue: I was driving the truck this past weekend on the highway at about 65 mph; it seemed to lose some power and the ability to speed up. I began to make a loud whoosh and ticking noise when I tried to accelerate. So I limped it home and parked it. On my journey home, it seemed like it didn't want to build a boost or struggle to accelerate nicely. The transmission seemed to shift smoothly and normally.

I bought a used 2019 RAM Laramie DRW 3500 H.O. Crew Cab w/ Aisin (32k miles) and aftermarket exhaust because it's loud. It seems to be deleted and tuned (not quite sure to what degree yet) by the previous owner, that traded it into the dealership. The programmer didn't come with it. The previous owner told the dealership it was tuned via EZ Lynk by a company called CTT. I tried looking them up, but they are no longer in business. There is a bypass cable but no EZ Lynk programmer w/ the truck. It also has the 5-position selector installed.

I have not towed it yet, and I haven't beat on it.

Troubleshooting:
    1.) Built the boost leak test and sprayed soapy water w/ 20 PSI running through it. I can hear air but can't for my life find a leak. Hear air from above and under the truck, but oddly doesn't seem to come from the normal pipes/hoses close to or around the Turbo
    2.) When I start the engine, it sounds healthy. Have to rev it to hear the Whoosh noise and ticking. You wouldn't know it had a problem at idle.
    3.) Oil cap upside down overfill barely moves or rattles, with no smoke from the fill or tailpipe. Oil does not smell like diesel
    4.) Turbo is spinning fine and not making any noises
    5.) No codes on the dash (obviously, I am going to have to scan for trouble codes)
    6.) I Ordered a new CCV and will install it soon just in case, but it doesn't seem likely as a culprit
    7.) Haven't been able to find any hoses or pipe connections with holes, slits, or tears. Nor any lost or missing clamps.
    8.) It Has not been serviced for the CP4 recall but has the Black Market Fuel Filter kit w/ CAT filters front/back.

The initial post is just in case someone has had the same experience. When I can get it scanned and provide codes, it will give me more to go on.

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: 2019 RAM 3500 H.O. Issues W/ Acceleration Whoosh And Tick Noise

It sounds like you are on the right track, looking for the boost leak.

The leak could be anywhere between the turbo outlet and the intake air plenum on the driver's side.

With the system pressurized and soapy water, check all the piping and rubber boots going into and out of the Intercooler.

You may need to cap off sections of the system to narrow the search as you work your way back toward the turbo.

Great idea to scan for trouble codes; we should be able to help troubleshoot them.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

4. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

And don't overlook the grid heater bolt.

2010 Dodge 2500 SLT CCLB 4WD G56 Cummins 6.7 turbo diesel, 3.42 LSD. Add ons: Banks Monster Ram, Grid heater delete, Spyntec Free Spin Kit with Warn hubs (62672) Laramie Alloys (includes spare), "Powerwagon" Flares, Powerwagon bed decal (4X4 off road) OE Ram mudflaps, OE Slush Mats, OE Clearance Lamps, Geno's shift knob in black, 5" DPF back with muffler delete, spray in bedliner, OE brake controller, Durafit Seat Covers, Pro Tech Toolbox, Speed Turtle, Upfitter switches, Ham Radios, 8 Antennas, headache rack, emergency light bar,....

6. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Using a picture from social media, the problem I had was that a 1/8 NPT bolt had backed out, and I had to replace it.