Thanks Thanks:  11
Likes Likes:  39

Thread: New Member - My First Cummins

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

New Member - My First Cummins

Hello all, first, thank you for the warm welcomes thus far from the site admins.

About me, 47 years young, married with teenage and young adult children.

Served 21yrs Army retired, seven combat deployments, and a few other overseas tours.

I currently work as DOD Civilian, still supporting America's Team.

As a former Drag racing enthusiast, my automotive experience is mostly w/ cars. I have quite a list of former automobiles w/ various modifications (stroked, nitrous, F.I.,) and the only other diesel I owned was a 2017 Ford F250 bone stock that I drove daily and never towed anything behind. As a couple of examples, I have pulled an engine with no experience using a Hanes manual from an 03' Cobra, ported/polished S.C., and put it all back together w/ no issues. I also have paid for a shop twin-turbo, a 2012 G.T., So I am a "Built not Bought" and a" Bought not Built" guy all in one. LOL!

I am new to Ram and the Cummins engine. I bought a used, Black 2019 Ram Laramie DRW 3500 H.O. Crew Cab w/ Aisin (32k miles) approx two months ago from a dealership. The truck seems to be deleted and tuned (not quite sure to what degree yet), but the programmer didn't come with it. The previous owner told the dealership it was tuned via EZ Lynk by a company called CTT. I tried looking them up, but they are no longer in business. There is a bypass cable but no EZ Lynk programmer w/ the truck. It also has the five-position selector installed. It's on position five, and since I don't know much about it, I just haven't touched it.

This is also my first dually, so I was pleasantly surprised at the amount of power it seems to have. I have not towed with it yet, and I haven't beat on it as cumbersome, and the times I did speed up on straight, I noticeit'sts not too quick to slow down.
    To be fully transparent, I found this site because I developed an issue driving the truck this past weekend on the highway at about 65 mph; it seemed to lose some power and the ability to speed up. I began to make a loud whoosh and ticking noise when I tried to accelerate. So I limped it home and parked it. On my journey home, it seemed like it didn't want to build a boost or struggle to accelerate nicely. I will make a separate post in the correct section to discuss my issues.

Things I have learned from this forum in just a few days.
    1.) EPA is/has/was cracking down on modifications and tuning solutions they deem violate environmental protection laws. This has hurt getting answers to questions when troubleshooting.
    2.) I need to address new items ASAP, like CCV maintenance, grid heater bolt, tuning solutions for Aisin transmissions, and others I can't recall.
    3.) Meanings of acronyms like DPF, EGR, CCV, etc. Imagine my surprise when my truck didn't need DEF fluid, LOL!
    4.) How to build a Boost leak tester
    5.) I will have to invest in an OBDII or get the EZ Lynk to read codes so i can diagnose my issues.

I downloaded a list of trouble codes from the forum for my future reference.

Thanks for having a place to come for so much knowledge/information/expertise.

I look forward to interacting with the community.

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: New Member - My First Cummins

Welcome, and glad to have you here.

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, CC, 4x4

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab ,G56

3. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Welcome!

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

5. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  6. Top Of Page | #4
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

7. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  8. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Welcome to the family, bud!

II 60HP STICKS, II 33% CP3, II S464 2ND GEN SWAP, FASS 165 TITANIUM SIGNATURE SERIES, AFE INTAKE HORN, S&B FILTER, 5" TURBO BACK, ALPHAREX HEAD LIGHTS, 38X13.5X20 RAZOR M/T, MOTO METAL RIMS, 6" LA LIFT KIT, COMPLET MM3 KIT, BUILT TRANSMISSION, 6 BOLT REDHEAD STEERING BOX

9. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  10. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Welcome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2006 dodge ram 2500 laramie crew cab 5.9 cummins. 10x20 et-24 fuel offroad with 275.60r20 tires. bully dog gt tuner. 48re ATS built tranny triple disc converter ATS oilpan and transgo quick shifter. 4" turbo back exhaust. brembo discs and pads

11. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  12. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Welcome!!

Sent from my SM-T860 using Tapatalk

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI

13. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post