Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  17

Thread: Do It Myself? Head Studs + Head Gasket - 2012 RAM 6.7 Cummins

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Do It Myself? Head Studs + Head Gasket - 2012 RAM 6.7 Cummins

So it's deleted, and been running the RaceME tow tune.

Have about 260,000 and have been driving through the mountains for about a year.

In Moab, Utah, now.

I have been running 205-215 hot, climbing steep mountains, and having radiator fluid push back through the cap into the reservoir.

So I was thinking of acquiring all the parts to do this; any help on this would help?

We are in a truck camper full time, so this would be in a driveway somewhere.

Need help on machine shops also to check the head, and how do you check the block?

Should I get the 425 or 625?

Thanks, and I am sure I will have more questions.

Joe

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Do It Myself? Head Studs + Head Gasket - 2012 RAM 6.7 Cummins

Quote Originally Posted by dejapoulos View Post
    So it's deleted, and been running the RaceME tow tune.

Have about 260,000 and have been driving through the mountains for about a year.

In Moab, Utah, now.

I have been running 205-215 hot, climbing steep mountains, and having radiator fluid push back through the cap into the reservoir.

So I was thinking of acquiring all the parts to do this; any help on this would help?

We are in a truck camper full time, so this would be in a driveway somewhere.

Need help on machine shops also to check the head, and how do you check the block?

Should I get the 425 or 625?

Thanks, and I am sure I will have more questions.

Joe
    Once you remove the cylinder head, you can visually inspect the block, looking for any signs of cracking and checking for flatness with a straight edge.

Hopefully, the block is okay; otherwise, it must be completely disassembled and sent to a machine shop; they can check for cracks with a fluorescent dye and magnetic crack detection equipment.

In this case, the block would need to be repaired or replaced, and you will be looking at a complete rebuild.

Usually, you can get by with just the head.

The machine shop will check the head for cracks and rebuild it, or you can purchase a rebuilt head.

I would go with the 625 head studs to avoid the re-torque.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

4. Thanks watersupply189, Corkey, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, Corkey, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Someone suggested I try to bleed the air.

Fingers crossed.

6. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

I know some Chevy guys who have told me people with a bad HG will poke a hole somewhere in the reservoir to hide the signs of a going-out HG.

Air could be trapped in the radiator if you add fluid often.

Having to add fluid often "if there are no leaks on the radiator or hoses" also is a sign of a bad gasket bleeding into a cylinder.

White smoke, a sweet smell of exhaust, and white residue under the valve cover knob are signs to verify.

Is your thermostat opening and closing as it should?

II 60HP STICKS, II 33% CP3, II S464 2ND GEN SWAP, FASS 165 TITANIUM SIGNATURE SERIES, AFE INTAKE HORN, S&B FILTER, 5" TURBO BACK, ALPHAREX HEAD LIGHTS, 38X13.5X20 RAZOR M/T, MOTO METAL RIMS, 6" LA LIFT KIT, COMPLET MM3 KIT, BUILT TRANSMISSION, 6 BOLT REDHEAD STEERING BOX

8. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dejapoulos View Post
    Someone suggested I try to bleed the air.

Fingers crossed.
    I just assumed you had already determined the head gasket was leaking.

You could also test combustion gas or check for pressure pulses in the coolant system.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

10. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, Corkey, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post