Thanks Thanks:  40
Likes Likes:  90
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cummins 6.7L Fuel Filter Upgrades?

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Cummins 6.7L Fuel Filter Upgrades?

I recently installed a G&R CAT fuel filter conversion instead of my factory rear filter on my 2019 RAM 6.7L.

I will say the one thing I dislike is that it doesn’t retain the WIF in the rear.

It just comes with a dummy plug.

Anyways, I was looking at doing the front fuel filter delete block.

Has anyone used the Fleece fuel filter delete block?

It says it retains the factory WIF sensor and the same with factory line hookups.

G&R makes one double the price, but I don’t think it retains the WIF sensor.

Opinions?

I’ve also considered a conversion for the front filter, not that I’m sure it is needed.

I have had the recall done, so hopefully no worries about the HPFP putting me out of the game.

Thanks!

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes Corkey, watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

I wouldn’t recommend running with just one fuel filter or without the WIF sensor.

I prefer the WIF in the rear if not on both filters.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

4. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

I should have added the rear kit includes the dual filter housing, a water/fuel separator, and a fuel filter.

It sucks that the rear didn’t have the option to keep the WIF in the rear, so I’m at least trying to play it safe on the front.

Not saying it won’t ever happen, but in my 6-7 years of owning a diesel, I’ve never had an issue.

6. Thanks watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Deleted6.7Guy View Post
    I should have added the rear kit includes the dual filter housing, a water/fuel separator, and a fuel filter.

It sucks that the rear didn’t have the option to keep the WIF in the rear, so I’m at least trying to play it safe on the front.

Not saying it won’t ever happen, but in my 6-7 years of owning a diesel, I’ve never had an issue.
    I run the BMP conversions, and both the front and rear have the WIF sensors still.

However, they did find a filter/separator with the sensor on the bottom of the filter.

You could always switch yours to one of those types of filters and run an extension up to the harness which they also sell, or you could run one of their front filter conversions and keep the wif sensor up front.

https://blackmarketperformance.com/p...s-cat-adapters

8. Thanks watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Re: Cummins 6.7L Fuel Filter Upgrades?

Quote Originally Posted by Deleted6.7Guy View Post
    I recently installed a G&R CAT fuel filter conversion instead of my factory rear filter on my 2019 RAM 6.7L.

I will say the one thing I dislike is that it doesn’t retain the WIF in the rear.

It just comes with a dummy plug.

Anyways, I was looking at doing the front fuel filter delete block.

Has anyone used the Fleece fuel filter delete block?

It says it retains the factory WIF sensor and the same with factory line hookups.

G&R makes one double the price, but I don’t think it retains the WIF sensor.

Opinions?

I’ve also considered a conversion for the front filter, not that I’m sure it is needed.

I have had the recall done, so hopefully no worries about the HPFP putting me out of the game.

Thanks!
    I just purchased the G&R conversion kit with the front delete block.

I change my own oil and filters and wanted to eliminate the front fuel filter as it's a major PITA.

Will be nice to just spin on the replacements in the rear!

I believe I can add the BMP wif puck in the rear if I need to and use the sensor extension.

Not sure I need it though.

I'll post my feedback after the install.

Joe

10. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Wish I had done a little more research on the rear filter conversion; I plan on doing the delete block on the front that retains the WIF in the sensor.

I will see if the sensor screws into a port on the rear filter conversion.

I was going to buy the bmp kit for my 15 Limited a few years back.

They always were on backorder.

Thanks for your input!

12. Thanks Corkey, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Update on my install.

The rear filter installation was a breeze.

Just make sure the fuel lines are completely attached before priming.

I attempted to install the delete block on the engine and had some issues.

The delete block has a port for the WIF sensor and the fuel heater sensor.

Good, right? Well, not really.

The WIF and heater sensor will not plug into the delete block together.

The heater sensor is too long and hits the WIF sensor.

Unless they sent me the wrong heater sensor, this is not working.

I had to replace the old fuel bowl, which was a PITA.

This time I left the oem filter out just like the G&R video says you can do.

Once again, another issue.

I primed the fuel like always and then attempted to start, and it would only crank and never start.

I primed it many times but had no luck, so I put the oem filter back in to see if that made a difference.

Sure enough, I primed the fuel, and it started right up without hesitation and ran without an issue.

I called G&R, left a message for assistance, and emailed them.

No response in 2 days, so far, not a happy camper.

I only wanted this kit so I never had to crawl under the hood to replace the engine fuel filter.

14. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Careful, the rear filter should filter to 25 microns, engine one to 5 microns.

You can install a factory fuel filter that will do 5 microns in that canister.

It could spell trouble if your rear filter only does 25 microns and you delete the front.

Is the rear filter a 25-micron unit or a 5?

That 5-micron unit on the engine is called a nano net filter.

2010 Dodge 2500 SLT CCLB 4WD G56 Cummins 6.7 turbo diesel, 3.42 LSD. Add ons: Banks Monster Ram, Grid heater delete, Spyntec Free Spin Kit with Warn hubs (62672) Laramie Alloys (includes spare), "Powerwagon" Flares, Powerwagon bed decal (4X4 off road) OE Ram mudflaps, OE Slush Mats, OE Clearance Lamps, Geno's shift knob in black, 5" DPF back with muffler delete, spray in bedliner, OE brake controller, Durafit Seat Covers, Pro Tech Toolbox, Speed Turtle, Upfitter switches, Ham Radios, 8 Antennas, headache rack, emergency light bar,....

15. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  16. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

I worry about adding too much filtering too, i.e., 2, 3-micron units, would this overload or overwork the lift pump reducing its life?

I am not sure.

I would think this could be the case.

I have added the factory rear extreme duty fuel filter with a WIF sensor, it's all in place, but I have not plumbed it in yet, and it also has its own WIF sensor at the bottom of the extra filter.

So it makes my single fuel filter setup look more like the FCA stuff from 2013 onward.

That kit was for up to 2012 models.

This is the same unit; I have not yet cut the lines and added them inline.

It has a fuel heater in the filter head also.

Comes on in the run position.

2010 Dodge 2500 SLT CCLB 4WD G56 Cummins 6.7 turbo diesel, 3.42 LSD. Add ons: Banks Monster Ram, Grid heater delete, Spyntec Free Spin Kit with Warn hubs (62672) Laramie Alloys (includes spare), "Powerwagon" Flares, Powerwagon bed decal (4X4 off road) OE Ram mudflaps, OE Slush Mats, OE Clearance Lamps, Geno's shift knob in black, 5" DPF back with muffler delete, spray in bedliner, OE brake controller, Durafit Seat Covers, Pro Tech Toolbox, Speed Turtle, Upfitter switches, Ham Radios, 8 Antennas, headache rack, emergency light bar,....

17. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  18. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by toyota_mdt_tech View Post
    I worry about adding too much filtering too, i.e., 2, 5-micron units, would this overload or overwork the lift pump reducing its life?

I am not sure.

I would think this could be the case.

I have added the factory rear extreme duty fuel filter with a WIF sensor, it's all in place, but I have not plumbed it in yet, and it also has its own WIF sensor at the bottom of the extra filter.

So it makes my single fuel filter setup look more like the FCA stuff from 2013 onward.

That kit was for up to 2012 models.

This is the same unit; I have not yet cut the lines and added them inline.

It has a fuel heater in the filter head also.

Comes on in the run position.

I understand your concern about possibly overworking and shortening the life of the stock in the tank lift pump when adding additional filtering.

I installed this fuel filter kit https://www.dieselfuelfilterkits.com/2013-2018-cummins in June 2020.

I have been running with stock filters and the additional 2-micron NanoNet Fleet Guard FF5814 filter.

No problems with my pump yet, but I am also concerned.

I have checked the pump current with all three filters, and the average amperage is 5.7 amps (See attached).

I will check the current with stock filters to compare the difference and report back.

Attached Images Attached Images
    2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast