Thanks Thanks:  90
Likes Likes:  245
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Smeding Turbos Truly Are SH*T!

1. Top Of Page | #1

Smeding Turbos Truly Are SH*T!

As the title says, ask me how I know.

First, I owe Chrisn162001 a huge apology, and when I am wrong, I will be a man and admit it.

So Chrisn162001, you are right Smeding products, especially their turbos, are complete utter s**t.

So it goes figure.

Today and last night, I swore I heard a swoosh-like noise upon shifting.

I pulled off my air filter to find major play in the wheel.

Thankfully, I caught the turbo right before it blew up and went through my engine.

I will try to attach a video and some pictures of my installation.

Now the reason for the pictures of the installation is because Smeding, in all their infinite wisdom, wants me to send photos as if the video wasn't enough; they want to take a shot at my installation.

So I will put them on here for every member to see that it was installed correctly.

It's their turbos that are s**t.

The turbo was pre-lubed, and the feed and drain lines are 12 and 6.

I even made sure oil came out of the drain line upon installation.

Now I am hopefully on to better things and looking at quality turbos.

Unfortunately, I can't afford a new manifold to ditch everything with Smeding's name, but hopefully, they are at least competent enough to make a manifold for now.

I saw Corkey talking about T51R mod the other day and I gave Tyler a call at AGP and spoke with him today about my situation, and go figure, I am not the only one with Smeding problems.

He has me leaning towards their AGP S467/1.00 turbo with the 360 bearing and T51R mod.

I told him I am highly paranoid about purchasing any in-house turbo after this experience, and I may go with a box Borg Warner, but then I have to upgrade the compressor housing.

I am willing to go with their turbo, though, if any members here can recommend AGP or even stainless diesel.

Hopefully, I can get their turbo with the T51R mod, and Tyler seems sincere.

So please, everyone, let me know what direction you think I should go or what experience you all have with AGP and Stainless turbos.

I got what I paid for (CHINA), and it didn't last two thousand miles.

The funny thing is if Smeding gave me a new piece of s**t turbo, I would throw it off a bridge, and of course, they won't give me any money back.

Thanks, everyone, and I sure did put my foot in my mouth.

Hopefully, Smeding will go out of business one day.

2. Top Of Page | #2

Here is one of their emails also.

I know what's going on, Smeding; your Turbo is CHINA JUNK!

3. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, Aboshan thanked for this post
  4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Dang that sucks!

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, CC, 4x4

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab ,G56

5. Thanks rsl0311usmc, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, Corkey, rsl0311usmc, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  6. Top Of Page | #4
    Permanent Vacation Chrisn162001's Avatar

User Info Menu

I hate to hear this.

I was hoping I was wrong, and they turned things around.

For in-house built turbos, I usually use and sell forced inductions turbos, stainless diesel for high-end fancy stuff, or plain box Borg Warner turbos when I need one in a hurry.

I haven’t personally used AGP, but I’ve heard good things about them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Sorry to see this happen, brother.

I would go for a full refund.

If it's under warranty, hold them accountable for their product and their name.

This is where I'm pretty good at getting my money back in situations like this.

I get it; things happen that are unavoidable, but they are known for this to many folks who have run into this situation.

How they haven't gone under the kind of baffles me.

I went with just the housing cover from AGP, but I have Industrial Injections 64.

Tyler knows what he's doing, but don't slap another Smeding back in, and don't take their BS.

Did you order through PayPal by chance?

II 60HP STICKS, II 33% CP3, II S464 2ND GEN SWAP, FASS 165 TITANIUM SIGNATURE SERIES, AFE INTAKE HORN, S&B FILTER, 5" TURBO BACK, ALPHAREX HEAD LIGHTS, 38X13.5X20 RAZOR M/T, MOTO METAL RIMS, 6" LA LIFT KIT, COMPLET MM3 KIT, BUILT TRANSMISSION, 6 BOLT REDHEAD STEERING BOX

8. Top Of Page | #6

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisn162001 View Post
    I hate to hear this.

I was hoping I was wrong, and they turned things around.

For in-house built turbos, I usually use and sell forced inductions turbos, stainless diesel for high-end fancy stuff, or plain box Borg Warner turbos when I need one in a hurry.

I haven’t personally used AGP, but I’ve heard good things about them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You were absolutely spot on, and I was in denial.

It's hard to believe that companies who tout USA and Texas do this crap.

I am beyond pissed at Smeding.

Yeah, Tyler seemed like a really good dude over there at AGP.

He told me that if I ever had a problem with his turbo and it was due to their workmanship, he would handle it.

He said warranties are on a case-by-case basis.

I want to get Turbo with the mod he offers, but even he understands why I am so paranoid.

The only good thing that came out of this is it didn't send shrapnel through my motor by some miracle.

As you can tell in the video, there wasn't much time left.

The sad thing is that Turbo never saw any abuse, maybe the 120 hp setting and 40 psi for a second like twice and no towing.

Oh, and I will take it apart to get pictures of that pile of crap at some point.

9. Top Of Page | #7

Quote Originally Posted by Corkey View Post
    Sorry to see this happen, brother.

I would go for a full refund.

If it's under warranty, hold them accountable for their product and their name.

This is where I'm pretty good at getting my money back in situations like this.

I get it; things happen that are unavoidable, but they are known for this to many folks who have run into this situation.

How they haven't gone under the kind of baffles me.

I went with just the housing cover from AGP, but I have Industrial Injections 64.

Tyler knows what he's doing, but don't slap another Smeding back in, and don't take their BS.

Did you order through PayPal by chance?
    Oh, there is no Smedings crap going back on my truck.

I found a way to spend more money so I don't have to order a Steed Speed manifold through DDP tonight to get their s**t name off my truck.

I don't even want to bolt a nice turbo to their manifold.

Hopefully, DDP can get those or has them because the lead time is crazy.

I am glad you mentioned the PayPal thing.

I went through Affirm, which I had never used before till their purchase.

So I am wondering if I can dispute it.

They shouldn't be able to steal from people like this and shouldn't be in business.

I will take any advice I can get.

I appreciate it.

10. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  11. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Well, I know you got it.

That kit was a bit ago, but my buddy with his MK4 Supra had just bought a Borg turbo from Full-Race.

One of the bolts they had tapped was stripped and drilled sideways.

He asked if they would fix their detective part and got told to pack sand.

He used PayPal and disputed for a bad part; 5 workdays later, he got refunded as full race couldn't prove it was my buddy's fault.

So, he put a bag of gummy wieners beside the turbo when he shipped it back.

II 60HP STICKS, II 33% CP3, II S464 2ND GEN SWAP, FASS 165 TITANIUM SIGNATURE SERIES, AFE INTAKE HORN, S&B FILTER, 5" TURBO BACK, ALPHAREX HEAD LIGHTS, 38X13.5X20 RAZOR M/T, MOTO METAL RIMS, 6" LA LIFT KIT, COMPLET MM3 KIT, BUILT TRANSMISSION, 6 BOLT REDHEAD STEERING BOX

12. Thanks rsl0311usmc, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  13. Top Of Page | #9

Quote Originally Posted by Corkey View Post
    Well, I know you got it.

That kit was a bit ago, but my buddy with his MK4 Supra had just bought a Borg turbo from Full-Race.

One of the bolts they had tapped was stripped and drilled sideways.

He asked if they would fix their detective part and got told to pack sand.

He used PayPal and disputed for a bad part; 5 workdays later, he got refunded as full race couldn't prove it was my buddy's fault.

So, he put a bag of gummy wieners beside the turbo when he shipped it back.
    I would love to do that to Smeding, and they probably would eat all the gummy wieners.

If Smeding were a beer brand, it would be Bud Light.

I am thinking of getting an AGP turbo.

It seems like they are a decent company.

I am also considering getting a new cold side pipe that's easier to disassemble and assemble for oil changes, but I don't know if AGP sells one separately for a fourth-gen truck or where to get one.

I have Smedings, but it's a very tight fit, and I hate unclamping it.

Oh, and by the way, I filed a dispute with Affirm tonight.

According to them, it will be hard to win because it's been over 60 days since I purchased it in late January.

I explained to them how I should know the part was defective without putting it on.

I sent Affirm that video and pictures and called Smeding scammers who know how to play the system.

Smeding knows that once you put that turbo on and it grenades, they already got your money and put on their site any used parts can't be returned B.S.

If you know where I can get a good cold side pipe, let me know, please.

I ordered the Steed speed manifold and may get a new oil drain and feed line.

By the time I am done, there won't be much, if any, Smeding parts left on the truck.

14. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

They are stupid in our book not to take care of you, as this review will stay up forever!

We are sorry to hear about things like this, and they are wrong.

God bless,
    igotacummins

"The grass is greener where you water it"

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast