Thanks Thanks:  10
Likes Likes:  31

Thread: Cummins 6.7L EGTs - What To Avoid?

1. Top Of Page | #1

Cummins 6.7L EGTs - What To Avoid?

I know this has probably been discussed a million times regarding EGTs, but what is safe, especially for towing and just in general?

I have heard that probe placement is a factor and that 1250 degrees are the most you want before backing out.

Believe it or not, on some mountain passes, it's not hard for me to hit 1200 unloaded with my G56 in 6th gear, but I usually downshift to 5th and hover around 1000.

Now I will say I have a second gen swap S464, and my EGT probe is directly centered in the exhaust manifold outlet, so it must be accurate.

Just looking for what the general rule of thumb is when towing or even racing not that I plan on doing that, but what's safe for every situation, I guess?

I would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

From what I have heard, "take it with just being words here," Cummins is developing something different with their piston capable of tolerating higher temps before they start to hit melting point.

With my previous encounter with bad tuning at WOT, I hit 1400 or just a bit more, which scared me, and I knew something wasn't right.

This was when I got my truck and had a shop perform work.

It was already deleted, but I put the Juiced with attitude tuner in it, an Emission-based company, and flashed a 1-time tune into it.

They stacked tunes which is a huge no-no.

Hitting 1200 now with the same setup I have is hard to do on my rig, even 1100.

What power setting are you always in?

My probe is in the exact spot as yours.

Did your kit come with a decent exhaust manifold?

Last edited by Corkey; 03-25-2023 at 01:15 PM. Reason: Grammar
    II 60HP STICKS, II 33% CP3, II S464 2ND GEN SWAP, FASS 165 TITANIUM SIGNATURE SERIES, AFE INTAKE HORN, S&B FILTER, 5" TURBO BACK, ALPHAREX HEAD LIGHTS, 38X13.5X20 RAZOR M/T, MOTO METAL RIMS, 6" LA LIFT KIT, COMPLET MM3 KIT, BUILT TRANSMISSION, 6 BOLT REDHEAD STEERING BOX

4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

I would recommend avoiding sustained EGT temperatures above 1400 F.

I set my MM3 alarm at 1250 F.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

5. Top Of Page | #4

Quote Originally Posted by Corkey View Post
    From what I have heard, "take it with just being words here," Cummins is developing something different with their piston capable of tolerating higher temps before they start to hit melting point.

With my previous encounter with bad tuning at WOT, I hit 1400 or just a bit more, which scared me, and I knew something wasn't right.

This was when I got my truck and had a shop perform work.

It was already deleted, but I put the Juiced with attitude tuner in it, an Emission-based company, and flashed a 1-time tune into it.

They stacked tunes which is a huge no-no.

Hitting 1200 now with the same setup I have is hard to do on my rig, even 1100.

What power setting are you always in?

My probe is in the exact spot as yours.

Did your kit come with a decent exhaust manifold?
    I have the Smeding kit and I usually keep it on 30 or 60 hp till I get head studs.

It's only that high literally going up a mountain.

Most time if I can find a flat highway it's like give or take 600 to 700 cruising.

Keep in mind to I also live at what I guess I would call a decent elevation here in western NC so maybe that plays a role.

I say that also because I noticed one time on a trip to MD when I had my VGT turbo that when I got to sea level I swear my EGTs were always no matter what driving situation 100 to 200 degrees cooler.

6. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  7. Top Of Page | #5

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bob View Post
    I would recommend avoiding sustained EGT temperatures above 1400 F.

I set my MM3 alarm at 1250 F.
    Ok awesome that's how mine is set up.

I honestly try to never go over 1250.

Honestly, I have hit that once, but I can get close to it.

I guess it sounds like I am where I need to be then.

8. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post