Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  16

Thread: Transmission Swap?

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Transmission Swap?

The truck is a 2018 RAM 3500 4x4 with 68RFE.

RaceME Ultra, with DRD WARP tuning.

The end goal is an about 600-700hp daily driver.

I have come across a built by a reputable shop 47RH, triple disk converter, billet shafts, etc., that had the low band improperly adjusted by someone locally and ended up being yanked out and replaced with an NV5600.

Have a chance to end up with it for about the cost of an oil change and fuel filters.

Competent In pulling the thing apart, taking inventory of what’s actually in it, replacing the low band, and adjusting correctly, and I will go for an entire manual valve body if I’m going thru the hassle of swapping it in the first place.

The question is, what needs to be done software-wise to accomplish this?

I haven’t had a chance to drive one, so also curious as to if this would be a wise direction to go (FMVB 47RH) instead of sticking with the 68RFE, which is arguably a ticking time bomb as is with the way I drive.

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2
    Permanent Vacation Chrisn162001's Avatar

User Info Menu

Re: Transmission Swap?

You must drill the case for the NSS (not easy) or swap to a 48RE case.

Also need to change the range selector to a 48re style.

A few other 48 parts are needed to swap cases I can’t remember off the top of my head.

You’ll need a Firepunk anteater or porcupine controller whichever one does FMVB—and tuning to eliminate the trans speed sensors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Thanks watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS, AK Bob, Corkey thanked for this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Just saw that a particular company had JUST come out with a whole manual valve body for the 68RFE.

I’d be building the damn thing either way; I would instead stick with a transmission that is at least intended to be behind it, like a 68’ or a G56, in opposition to going down a one-way road to its destination.

The FMVB for the 68 makes it a 4-speed in a sense, uses a ratchet shifter, and can shift at full lockup or not.

Quite a bit more $$ than all other tried andaccuratee options.

From what the mfg states, it’s only doable after going to a billet (I wouldn't say I like that term with a passion) input shaft, along with the usual 68’ stuff, as the stock shaft can’t handle fully locked shifts under any circumstances.

It also requires a few software alterations and living with the damn shifter in a spot that would constantly be ripping my phone out of its little holder on the dash via the USB cord, which would get annoying quickly.

6. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

For the 48RE, you can still use OD with an FMVB.

You splice the wire for OD, run it to a switch, and run it to the ground.

Not sure about the 68RFE if you can run it the same way.

It would suck not having any OD.

2017) 2500 6.7 Stockish..... just a tune, sticks and charger
    2004) 2500 5.9 1098whp..... Nothing Stock

8. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post