Thanks Thanks:  32
Likes Likes:  61
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mopar OE SDFK

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Mopar OE SDFK

OK, this is the OE kit; the part number I got is 68083853AB (cab and chassis kit are 68083851AB), and the truck is either ordered with it, or a dealer-installed option up to 2012 MY (sales code is ETJ) or the owner installs the kit himself like I am doing.

I have a few questions.

The kit is installed, not entirely, but almost, I have not cut the fuel line because I did not have one of those small fuel line cutters at home, but the wiring is in, and the relay is now tied in for the fuel heater until it gets fuel.

Some questions.

The filter is hard to find; if I do find it, I get many other items, i.e., a new WIF sensor and filter head.

No biggie.

I have found the Baldwin equivalent BF46050 or the Fleetguard FS20303, but the length of this filter leaves the WIF sensor looking vulnerable to a rock or anything.

I will build a shield for it, but I'd like to use a shorter filter.

The 2013 and later RAMs have already incorporated this filter with a WIF sensor in the back, I have done these for pals, and the WIF is different, no big deal; I can change/buy that, but is the filter thread the exact and oring location?

The 2013 and later primary filter is a shorter unit and very easy to locate.

This would leave it better protected too.

Maybe just going to have to buy a filter and see if it fits.

This is the complete kit: (getting this for $60, killer price BTW)

And this is what I get for ordering just the filter, and they are coming with a new filter head, heater, and WIF sensor.

2010 Dodge 2500 SLT CCLB 4WD G56 Cummins 6.7 turbo diesel, 3.42 LSD. Add ons: Banks Monster Ram, Grid heater delete, Spyntec Free Spin Kit with Warn hubs (62672) Laramie Alloys (includes spare), "Powerwagon" Flares, Powerwagon bed decal (4X4 off road) OE Ram mudflaps, OE Slush Mats, OE Clearance Lamps, Geno's shift knob in black, 5" DPF back with muffler delete, spray in bedliner, OE brake controller, Durafit Seat Covers, Pro Tech Toolbox, Speed Turtle, Upfitter switches, Ham Radios, 8 Antennas, headache rack, emergency light bar,....

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Mopar OE SDFK

I have a new 13+ rear fuel filter P/N 68197867AB at home; I will take some measurements for you this evening.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

4. Thanks toyota_mdt_tech thanked for this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bob View Post
    I have a new 13+ rear fuel filter P/N 68197867AB at home, I will take some measurements for you this evening.
    Okay, as close as I can measure with calipers and thread gauge.

Filter height without WIF sensor = 5.6”, OD = 4.24”.

Filter seal OD = 3.55”, ID = 3.15” Threaded hole 1” - 14 TPI.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

6. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Bob, you have always been a real trooper on helping out fellow cummins, bro!

I did order one of the genuine Mopar fuel filters and a genuine Mopar WIF sensor, the measurements you gave me to make it sound like it may be a direct swap.

I certainly hope so.

Got me one of those compact fuel line cutters for here at home.

Got the handy WIF wrench too. I assume mine will come with the rubber oring; why the image shows it missing is beyond me.

2010 Dodge 2500 SLT CCLB 4WD G56 Cummins 6.7 turbo diesel, 3.42 LSD. Add ons: Banks Monster Ram, Grid heater delete, Spyntec Free Spin Kit with Warn hubs (62672) Laramie Alloys (includes spare), "Powerwagon" Flares, Powerwagon bed decal (4X4 off road) OE Ram mudflaps, OE Slush Mats, OE Clearance Lamps, Geno's shift knob in black, 5" DPF back with muffler delete, spray in bedliner, OE brake controller, Durafit Seat Covers, Pro Tech Toolbox, Speed Turtle, Upfitter switches, Ham Radios, 8 Antennas, headache rack, emergency light bar,....

7. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  8. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by toyota_mdt_tech View Post
    Bob, you have always been a real trooper on helping out fellow cummins, bro!

I did order one of the genuine Mopar fuel filters and a genuine Mopar WIF sensor, the measurements you gave me to make it sound like it may be a direct swap.

I certainly hope so.

Got me one of those compact fuel line cutters for here at home.

Got the handy WIF wrench too. I assume mine will come with the rubber oring; why the image shows it missing is beyond me.

Always happy to help when I can.

The new OEM filter does come with both rubber seals.

One for the filter head seal, and the other for the WIF sensor.

I have one of those filter cutters also, I like to inspect and take a picture of all my used filter elements for comparison.

9. Top Of Page | #6
    Permanent Vacation Chrisn162001's Avatar

User Info Menu

Thread size is different on old style vs. new style rear filter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisn162001 View Post
    Thread size is different on old style vs. new style rear filter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Always one party pooper in the crowd.

Always got to be one stick in the mud.

OK, I will live with hard to-source longer filter; maybe stock up on Fleetguards or inquire if I can change the threaded nipple to change it to the larger size.

We will see.

Thanks crrisn162001

11. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  12. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

I added the extreme-duty fuel filter kit. I have not plumbed (cut fuel-like and hooked inline) it, but it's all in place.

It has an extended filter, hangs low with a WIF sensor in the bottom,m and the fuel drain is part of the WIF sensor.

I want to add the primary or course fuel filter used in the 2013 and later RAM trucks.

I think this is a 20 or a 25-micron.

It has a WIF sensor in it plus a fuel heater.

I replaced the secondary filter on the engine block.

I have the factory, but I replaced it with the nanonet OE Mopar filter when it was 3 microns.

This filter canister has a heater and a WIF sensor; the HD kit had the wiring to wire in the WIF and heater, but it wants me to disconnect the secondary WIF connector.

I would like to have both; the primary would be the coarse filter in the back.

I have ordered the entire filter mount for the 2013 later fuel filter (totally scrapped the CAT filter deal,) and with the thesetwo2 filter, plus using the nano net filter, I know my fuel will be clean.

The shorter filter in the back won't hang down and will be vulnerable (below frame rain by several inches), and I am thinking of a rock breaking the WIF or drain.

I would build a steel shield with either system, but now I can use all the better filtering, be all OE for simplicity, and have all the fuel heaters and WIF in place.

If I do one WIF, it will be the primary filter in the back.

The OE rear filter mount has a neat feature when you unscrew it; it shuts off the fuel flow and does not leak when doing a filter change—another nice feature of the OEsetupp.

Any feedback, especially from the type A minds like myself.

13. Thanks Corkey, IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189 thanked for this post
  14. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by toyota_mdt_tech View Post
    I added the extreme-duty fuel filter kit. I have not plumbed (cut fuel-like and hooked inline) it, but it's all in place.

It has an extended filter, hangs low with a WIF sensor in the bottom,m and the fuel drain is part of the WIF sensor.

I want to add the primary or course fuel filter used in the 2013 and later RAM trucks.

I think this is a 20 or a 25-micron.

It has a WIF sensor in it plus a fuel heater.

I replaced the secondary filter on the engine block.

I have the factory, but I replaced it with the nanonet OE Mopar filter when it was 3 microns.

This filter canister has a heater and a WIF sensor; the HD kit had the wiring to wire in the WIF and heater, but it wants me to disconnect the secondary WIF connector.

I would like to have both; the primary would be the coarse filter in the back.

I have ordered the entire filter mount for the 2013 later fuel filter (totally scrapped the CAT filter deal,) and with the thesetwo2 filter, plus using the nano net filter, I know my fuel will be clean.

The shorter filter in the back won't hang down and will be vulnerable (below frame rain by several inches), and I am thinking of a rock breaking the WIF or drain.

I would build a steel shield with either system, but now I can use all the better filtering, be all OE for simplicity, and have all the fuel heaters and WIF in place.

If I do one WIF, it will be the primary filter in the back.

The OE rear filter mount has a neat feature when you unscrew it; it shuts off the fuel flow and does not leak when doing a filter change—another nice feature of the OEsetupp.

Any feedback, especially from the type A minds like myself.
    Sounds like a good plan to me.

The 2013 and later rear filter setup will give you everything you want with the shorter filter.

Not familiar with the 2010 OEM fuel filter setup, are you pre-wired for both front and rear heaters and WIF sensors?

15. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bob View Post
    Sounds like a good plan to me.

The 2013 and later rear filter setup will give you everything you want with the shorter filter.

Not familiar with the 2010 OEM fuel filter setup are you pre-wired for both front and rear heaters and WIF sensors?
    The kit I got (OE) came with a harness for the fuel heater and WIF, all wires in place.

The heater picks power from the battery via a relay and is controlled by a wire that runs the grid heater, so when it's on, it fuels the heater.

They want me to disconnect the front fuel WIF wire and tie it into the kit, which makes more sense; water will be introduced into the back filter first, so it is a good spot for the sensor, and when it does show up, I drain the rear of the water.

Here it is:

Here are the OE PDF install instructions for the above SDFK.

Severe Duty Filter Kit instructions-reduced size.pdf

That is everything it comes with; for $50, you can't even buy the replacement filter for $ that.

It comes with all wiring, filter, WIF sensor, filter head with heater, and all brackets to bolt right in with no mods to frame and all fuel lines to tie it into place.

So worth the price, even if I dont use anything more than the bracket and wiring.

Now for the factory rear filter assy, I got this seen below.

I am only interested in the base, but forsix6 bucks more, I got the filter with WIF.

I got this, so the two kits should contact me about what I am after. My filter won't be above the rear driveshaft like the 2013 and later; mine is on the frame rail, the driver's side in front of the fuel tank, behind the transfer case.

16. Thanks AK Bob, Corkey, watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast