Thanks Thanks:  26
Likes Likes:  50
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wait To Start Light?

1. Top Of Page | #1

Wait To Start Light?

I deleted my grid heater before the truck was retuned.

I moved to a colder area, and I just needed a little bit of help with the cold weather.

I added the GM-style heater on my intake horn.

I noticed my wait to start does not illuminate for a second on the dash, and my intake temp only rises for about 5-10 seconds and never cycles at an idle.

Would that have something to do with the tuning?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Wait To Start Light?

@AK Bob

He has a PDF file for everything.

II 60HP STICKS, II 33% CP3, II S464 2ND GEN SWAP, FASS 165 TITANIUM SIGNATURE SERIES, AFE INTAKE HORN, S&B FILTER, 5" TURBO BACK, ALPHAREX HEAD LIGHTS, 38X13.5X20 RAZOR M/T, MOTO METAL RIMS, 6" LA LIFT KIT, COMPLET MM3 KIT, BUILT TRANSMISSION, 6 BOLT REDHEAD STEERING BOX

4. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Wait To Start Light?

Are you throwing any trouble codes?

Depending on who tuned your truck, it's possible the grid heater may have been tuned out.

Generally speaking, you would need to be around freezing (32*F) for the grid heater to cycle several times at idle, or you can actuate the Cold Start Aid Driver Output with a scan tool.

The small screw-in type heaters cannot draw the typical 230 amps like the stock heater, so the intake air heat rise will be significantly less.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

6. Thanks Corkey, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, Corkey, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Wait To Start Light?

Quote Originally Posted by Corkey View Post
    @AK Bob

He has a PDF file for everything.
    I don’t want to disappoint, so I found this PDF from Mopar Tech Authority with the Wait-To-Start Lamp Turn-on Times.

Attached Files Attached Files
    2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

8. Top Of Page | #5

Wait To Start Light?

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bob View Post
    Are you throwing any trouble codes?

Depending on who tuned your truck, it's possible the grid heater may have been tuned out.

Generally speaking, you would need to be around freezing (32*F) for the grid heater to cycle several times at idle, or you can actuate the Cold Start Aid Driver Output with a scan tool.

The small screw-in type heaters cannot draw the typical 230 amps like the stock heater, so the intake air heat rise will be significantly less.
    Well, I was figuring it might have been shut off when I had it tuned.

I got it tuned by the man himself, I did enter that the grid heater was deleted under the modification category, but the solenoid still kicks on, and the intake temp does rise.

Right now, our temps are down in the low 20s.

No trouble codes are thrown.

I just put a new solenoid, fusible link, and grid heater harness on the truck to prevent any future worries with the old stuff.

I guess I had read the heat won’t be as high with the small screw-in heater, and it isn’t.

For me, it was just that it stays on for about 15 seconds and never cycles again for as cold as it is.

Thank you for the PDF with the wait-to-start times.

9. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  10. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Re: Wait To Start Light?

Quote Originally Posted by Ehrisman14 View Post
    Well, I was figuring it might have been shut off when I had it tuned.

I got it tuned by the man himself, I did enter that the grid heater was deleted under the modification category, but the solenoid still kicks on, and the intake temp does rise.

Right now, our temps are down in the low 20s.

No trouble codes are thrown.

I just put a new solenoid, fusible link, and grid heater harness on the truck to prevent any future worries with the old stuff.

I guess I had read the heat won’t be as high with the small screw-in heater, and it isn’t.

For me, it was just that it stays on for about 15 seconds and never cycles again for as cold as it is.

Thank you for the PDF with the wait-to-start times.

You would need to check with our man, but I believe he would have turned off the grid heater trouble codes rather than disabling the heater function.

You could measure the current that your heater is drawing but usually around 50 amps for that style heater or a quarter of the OEM.

However, some heat is better than no heat, and it’s enough to satisfy the PCM and Intelligent Battery Monitor logic so that it won’t throw any codes.

An article was recently published about the smaller grid heater elements in Turbo Diesel Register (See attached).

Attached Files Attached Files

11. Thanks Corkey, Ehrisman14, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, Corkey, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  12. Top Of Page | #7

Wait To Start Light?

You would need to check with our man, but I believe he would have turned off the grid heater trouble codes rather than disabling the heater function.

You could measure the current that your heater is drawing but usually around 50 amps for that style heater or a quarter of the OEM.

However, some heat is better than no heat, and it’s enough to satisfy the PCM and Intelligent Battery Monitor logic so that it won’t throw any codes.

An article was recently published about the smaller grid heater elements in Turbo Diesel Register (See attached).
    Thank you for the article definitely an interesting read!

13. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, AK Bob thanked for this post
  14. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

What's the best way to disable the grid heater?

I live in AZ and won't need it here, but I want to be able to reconnect it if required.

2006 2500 QC Laramie 5.9 (Sold in 2016). 2017 3500 DRW CC Laramie, Loaded. MM3 tuned by DRD. 4" SS by Jamo. 68REF, 4.10 Rears. (Sold). 2018 3500 DRW Longhorn CC AISIN 4.10's. On a good health care plan by DRD.

15. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  16. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by northstarfire0693 View Post
    What's the best way to disable the grid heater?

I live in AZ and won't need it here, but I want to be able to reconnect it if required.
    Disconnect the grid heater power wire that goes to the heater at the grid heater relay.

Remember that you will get a trouble code and engine check light if you allow the pre-heat cycle to complete before starting the engine with the wire disconnected.

17. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Disconnect the grid heater power wire that goes to the heater at the grid heater relay.

Remember that you will get a trouble code and engine check light if you allow the pre-heat cycle to complete before starting the engine with the wire disconnected.
    Awesome. I will look into that.

Is it easy to find?

I've never really looked at the wiring to the grid heater.

I'm guessing it's on the passenger side.

2006 2500 QC Laramie 5.9 (Sold in 2016). 2017 3500 DRW CC Laramie, Loaded. MM3 tuned by DRD. 4" SS by Jamo. 68REF, 4.10 Rears. (Sold). 2018 3500 DRW Longhorn CC AISIN 4.10's. On a good health care plan by DRD.

18. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast