Thanks Thanks:  28
Likes Likes:  76
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Clicking From Front End?

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Clicking From Front End?

I did some searching before posting this because I have a video that I recorded and wanted to include and see if it would help easier identify and confirm.

I'm hearing a clicking sound from the front end that is somewhat consistent with speed; it almost sounds like a playing card stuck in bicycle spokes.

I read that it was either a CV axle or a U-joint, So I went underneath the truck and tried to put some movement on the u-joint.

Listen to this and let me know if this is expected or if this is telling me that the u-joint needs replacement.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/qoqzmbKVZeE4ujjZ6

If a clicking sound is inconsistent with the u-joint replacement, I can try recording the actual sound.

It's pretty easily reproducible.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

2. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Clicking From Front End?

More than likely, that’s your issue.

I would also check the wheel bearing hubs.

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, CC, 4x4

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab
    Cummins,G56, Rough Country level, Morimoto LED fog lights, LED headlights, Lund Attitude Steps sprayed with Line-X, DRL's Activated, 35x12.50R18 Falken Wildpeak ATW3, Fuel Vapor Wheels Matte Black w/Dark Tint, A.R.E. Truck cap and swing boxes

4. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, Corkey, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Clicking From Front End?

Agree, it sounds like a bad U joint to me, also.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

6. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, Corkey, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Clicking From Front End?

The wheel bearing on that particular side, I very recently replaced with one of those "fleet hubs."

Like within 10-15k miles, maybe.

Is there a chance it would have failed that quickly with that symptom and noise described, or will it be pointing at the u-joint?

If you had to make a guess based on that new information about the wheel hub replacement

I recently moved, and most of my tools, including a heavy-duty jack, it my old house.

So I can't quickly jack the truck up and try to shift the tire around to check the hub.

I will still do this at some point; I just wanted to try and have a more educated guess going into it.

8. Thanks watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Clicking From Front End?

Also, is this one of those parts that would be just as effective with an aftermarket brand such as Moog or something, or is this something that should absolutely be a Mopar equivalent?

10. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Clicking From Front End?

Quote Originally Posted by jgruberman View Post
    The wheel bearing on that particular side, I very recently replaced with one of those "fleet hubs."

Like within 10-15k miles, maybe.

Is there a chance it would have failed that quickly with that symptom and noise described, or will it be pointing at the u-joint?

If you had to make a guess based on that new information about the wheel hub replacement

I recently moved, and most of my tools, including a heavy-duty jack, it my old house.

So I can't quickly jack the truck up and try to shift the tire around to check the hub.

I will still do this at some point; I just wanted to try and have a more educated guess going into it.

Based on how you described a “clicking” sound, I would suspect the U-joints.

How many miles do you have on them?

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab
    Cummins,G56, Rough Country level, Morimoto LED fog lights, LED headlights, Lund Attitude Steps sprayed with Line-X, DRL's Activated, 35x12.50R18 Falken Wildpeak ATW3, Fuel Vapor Wheels Matte Black w/Dark Tint, A.R.E. Truck cap and swing boxes

12. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, Corkey, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Clicking From Front End?

Quote Originally Posted by watersupply189 View Post
    Based on how you described a “clicking” sound, I would suspect the U-joints.

How many miles do you have on them?

Unfortunately, I don't recall.

I feel like I've replaced them before, but I don't keep records, and my memory is horrible, and it might have been for a different RAM truck.

Is there any method of diagnosis that's relatively straightforward that I can perhaps do after jacking the truck up or something similar?

14. Thanks watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Clicking From Front End?

Unfortunately, I don't recall.

I feel like I've replaced them before, but I don't keep records, and my memory is horrible, and it might have been for a different RAM truck.

Is there any method of diagnosis that's relatively straightforward that I can perhaps do after jacking the truck up or something similar?

With the front wheels off the ground and the jack stands under the front axle, rotate the wheels and listen for the clicking sound, then grab both yokes on the side the sound is coming from and check for any play or looseness in the U joint.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

16. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes Corkey, watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Clicking From Front End?

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bob View Post
    With the front wheels off the ground and the jack stands under the front axle, rotate the wheels and listen for the clicking sound, then grab both yokes on the side the sound is coming from and check for any play or looseness in the U joint.
    Okay, I can give that a shot. Is an aftermarket part acceptable for this?

I've learned that some things need to be Mopar, and I can get away with an OEM-equivalent for others.

18. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  19. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Clicking From Front End?

Okay, I can give that a shot. Is an aftermarket part acceptable for this?

I've learned that some things need to be Mopar, and I can get away with an OEM-equivalent for others.

Personally, I would go with the OEM if available.

If you go aftermarket go with a good known brand like SKF or Moog.

Unless you plan on greasing them routinely, I would stay away from the greaseable type.

Others who have more experience with these U joints may have additional suggestions or advice.

20. Thanks jgruberman, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast