Thanks Thanks:  11
Likes Likes:  24

Thread: 2006 Dodge RAM Cummins 5.9L - Sketchy Wiring?

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

2006 Dodge RAM Cummins 5.9L - Sketchy Wiring?

Not sure if this is the right section, but I’m looking for some insight.

I’ve got a 06 Dodge RAM 3500 that I bought about a month ago airdog is blowing fuses, so while I was under the truck today checking it out, I decided to trace down some of the sketchy wirings.

1st relay is tied into the engine harness below the grid heater.

Engine side wires appear to be one red(butt connected to the added-in yellow wire) & 1 black(snipped off and not connected) & 1 heavier gauge wire connected directly to the negative d-side battery terminal.

A yellow wire ran back to almost the fuel tank, connected with spade terminals and taped up, and then ran back to the relay at d side battery.

The orange wire came off the relay and was run back to the fuel tank lying over the frame and cut.

Orange wire only has power when the yellow wire is connected.

2nd relay(all black wires) is getting its power from the first relay, which from what I can tell, is just powering the headlights, so they come on whenever the key is on (pic 5).

Also, there is a small black box on the fuel lines towards the rear of the engine, any idea what it is? (Pic 6-7).

Any help with what they spliced into and what the little black box is would be much appreciated!!

2. Thanks watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Wow!

What a mess.

Hopefully, someone with wiring knowledge can chime in to help.

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, CC, 4x4

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab
    Cummins,G56, Rough Country level, Morimoto LED fog lights, LED headlights, Lund Attitude Steps sprayed with Line-X, DRL's Activated, 35x12.50R18 Falken Wildpeak ATW3, Fuel Vapor Wheels Matte Black w/Dark Tint, A.R.E. Truck cap and swing boxes

4. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes 87powerram, AK Bob, Corkey, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

I would recommend going to: https://pureflowairdog.com/ and finding the wiring diagram for your particular pump.

This should help make sense of your mess and help cleanup and troubleshoot.

If you are still blowing fuses, check the current draw against the maximum current rating on the pump.

Look for any shorts to ground and correct size fuses.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

6. Thanks Corkey, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, Corkey, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

I may have confused things, but I’ve sorted the lift pump issue (the 12y/o pump is shot).

Just trying to figure out what the wires they cut initially went to, so I’ll know whether I can just cut their mess out and seal it up or if I need to find a connector and put it back factory.

The only thing I can tell their mess of relays does is to turn the headlights on every time the key is switched on.

Thanks for any help; if anybody has any pics of the driver-side engine harness, that might help too!

Attached Images Attached Images

8. Thanks watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

I do know electrical, and that can definitely be cleaned up; it will take a long time.

I would get a test light if you don’t have one already and start tracing.

Auto electrical hot wires r either constant or ignition “on,” start poking around with the test light to see what you're dealing with; in a lot of cases, it’s faster, easier, and cleaner to rip out the “homemade” circuits and start from scratch.

10. Thanks 87powerram, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

The headlight wiring mess is already out and back together, and the heat shrinks.

The red wire they cut is a “key on” wire; I think I’m just going to shorten the wires for the other relay up and clean up the connections until I figure out what exactly the cut out.

12. Thanks watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post