Thanks Thanks:  14
Likes Likes:  20

Thread: AlfaOBD - Manual Transfer Case To An Electronic?

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

AlfaOBD - Manual Transfer Case To An Electronic?

Has anyone used an AlfaOBD to change the settings from a manual transfer case to an electronic one?

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: AlfaOBD - Manual Transfer Case To An Electronic?

This is for a 2006 RAM.

I know plenty of guys ask themselves why I am going from a manual to an electronic one since 8ts is usually the other way around.

Well, I did a Motor/Trans/TC swap about six months ago (the setup now is from a truck I rolled and is worked over), and the trans had an oversized output shaft.

So I had my friend take apart the transfer case (and upgrade the internals) to fit the shaft receiver (or something like that, it was a few years ago).

So now that I did the swap, the truck's ECU isn't reading that it's an electric TC and won't get out of 2wd.

I did continuity tests and can't trace the wires from the TC to the switch.

I tried power probing each wire, and the only direct one is the 4x4 dash light, and the actuator won't move positions.

I'm also getting 5v to the actuator, so there's a power source, and can't be a missing wire harness not plugged in.

On the Cummins forum, I was told by a few guys that the ECU needed to be swapped to read that I have an electric TC instead of a manual, and the best way is with an AlfaOBD.

I bought the necessary pieces, but when going into the app, I see a whole bunch of stuff.

I'm unsure what to click on and don't want to mess up the ecu reading on something important.

4. Thanks watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Unless you can find someone who has performed this procedure on a 3rd Gen, you will need to dig around in the "Car Configuration Change Options."

AlfaOBD is very powerful but also dangerous software.

Make sure you back up your BCM configuration file before you make any changes.

Make any changes one at a time and either write them down or take a screenshot so you can go back and change them back if necessary.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

6. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, Corkey thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, Corkey, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

I messed around with it today and found the T-case specs section.

I changed it to 273 (set at 271) and got a serv 4wd dash light and two trouble codes.

Heck, that's the most action I've seen out of the trucks 4x4 since the swap, so I'm stoked.

I now figured out what's happening, but at least I have a starting point.

8. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hawaiiboe88 View Post
    This is for a 2006 RAM.

I know plenty of guys ask themselves why I am going from a manual to an electronic one since 8ts is usually the other way around.

Well, I did a Motor/Trans/TC swap about six months ago (the setup now is from a truck I rolled and is worked over), and the trans had an oversized output shaft.

So I had my friend take apart the transfer case (and upgrade the internals) to fit the shaft receiver (or something like that; it was a few years ago).

So now that I did the swap, the truck's ECU isn't reading that it's an electric TC and won't get out of 2wd.

I did continuity tests and can't trace the wires from the TC to the switch.

I tried power probing each wire, and the only direct one is the 4x4 dash light, and the actuator won't move positions.

I'm also getting 5v to the actuator, so there's a power source, and there can't be a missing wire harness that is not plugged in.

On the Cummins forum, I was told by a few guys that the ECU needed to be swapped to read that I have an electric TC instead of a manual, and the best way is with an AlfaOBD.

I bought the necessary pieces, but when going into the app, I see a whole bunch of stuff.

I'm unsure what to click on and don't want to mess up the ecu reading on something important.

That 5V is a reference voltage, regulated by the ECU, and is used not to power the unit but to supply a steady voltage to sensors, more than likely a shift position switch.

You should also have a power source to run the motor, but not directly; I suspect you have limit switches in the engine that will supply input to ECU, which controls the power to the shift motor and reverse polarity to move it back.

If you tried to power the motor directly, you could overrun it and damage something.

Did your guy remove some switches in the transfer?

I suspect all my switches may be built right into the shift motor.

I would get the AlphaOBD.

$50 bucks is cheap, and you will use it in other areas.

Be sure to back up your original file in case you make a boo-booo.

2010 Dodge 2500 SLT CCLB 4WD G56 Cummins 6.7 turbo diesel, 3.42 LSD. Add ons: Banks Monster Ram, Grid heater delete, Spyntec Free Spin Kit with Warn hubs (62672) Laramie Alloys (includes spare), "Powerwagon" Flares, Powerwagon bed decal (4X4 off road) OE Ram mudflaps, OE Slush Mats, OE Clearance Lamps, Geno's shift knob in black, 5" DPF back with muffler delete, spray in bedliner, OE brake controller, Durafit Seat Covers, Pro Tech Toolbox, Speed Turtle, Upfitter switches, Ham Radios, 8 Antennas, headache rack, emergency light bar,....

9. Thanks Corkey, watersupply189, AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post