Thanks Thanks:  39
Likes Likes:  64
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Black Market Grid Heater Relocate Kit

1. Top Of Page | #1

Black Market Grid Heater Relocate Kit

The Black Market grid heater relocation seems to work well.

It came with longer bolts to use with the throttle valve intact, but the factory bolts were spot on with the delete in place.

So far, no check engine lights.

I like this one because if I ever have to return to stock, it will work with the emissions intact, unlike the one from GDP.

I left the factory heater in place for now.

That should be fine, right?

It is still nice and tight, and my truck has 49k on it.

Attached Images Attached Images

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Black Market Grid Heater Relocate Kit

Thanks for the post.

I've been debating the different brands.

2017 WON TON CC LB 68AUTO
    Secret stuff that make it vroom and whistle better Thuren 2.25 w/2.0 Fox Resi

Justin
    Southern Oregon ( the Republican part)
    UNITEDSTATES MARINE CORPS 1993-2007
    No better friend, No better enemy.

3. Likes watersupply189, Jaxonsram, Corkey, AK Bob liked this post
  4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

I know this is an older thread, but curious how this grid heater relocation is doing? I am in the market myself replacing my factory grid heater with aftermarket.

So far I'm leaning towards the Glacier City. The design looks like it will heat up more/faster compared to the Black Market with just the single element. On the other hand, the Black Market may flow better with just the small single coil LOL.

Here is Glacier City's design.

2018 Ram 2500 Limited Tungsten<>RevMax ZeroFlex VB<>Proven Diesel<>Leveled w/ 35s

2018 Ram 2500 Limited Tungsten Silver
    Proven Diesel <> Leveled 35s

5. Thanks watersupply189, Corkey, AK Bob thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, Corkey, AK Bob liked this post
  6. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inline6c View Post
    I know this is an older thread, but curious how this grid heater relocation is doing? I am in the market myself replacing my factory grid heater with aftermarket.

So far I'm leaning towards the Glacier City. The design looks like it will heat up more/faster compared to the Black Market with just the single element. On the other hand, the Black Market may flow better with just the small single coil LOL.

Here is Glacier City's design.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...8e47e87eaf.jpg

2018 Ram 2500 Limited Tungsten<>RevMax ZeroFlex VB<>Proven Diesel<>Leveled w/ 35s
    Don’t know about the Black Market grid heater but I installed the Glacier Diesel grid heater in 2019. Very pleased with the performance, it draws the same current as the stock grid heater and works great during our Alaskan winters.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

7. Thanks inline6c, Corkey, watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes inline6c, Corkey, watersupply189 liked this post
  8. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

This is the Black Market design. From what I've read and understand that is the same exact heating element some Ford and Chevys use. If I where going to go that route I would just tap a hole on top of the EGR and get the heating element only.

The GDP definitely looks superior and pretty much sold on it. Next paycheck. This paycheck is RevMax pan.

9. Thanks AK Bob thanked for this post
    Likes Corkey, AK Bob, watersupply189 liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

This is the Black Market design. From what I've read and understand that is the same exact heating element some Ford and Chevys use. If I where going to go that route I would just tap a hole on top of the EGR and get the heating element only.

The GDP definitely looks superior and pretty much sold on it. Next paycheck. This paycheck is RevMax pan.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...aed6c97848.jpg

The screw in heater elements consume approximately 1/3 the current of OEM, just enough to satisfy the PCM grid heater logic to avoid trouble codes. If you live in a climate where you need a grid heater don’t bother with it. My advice is to get the Glacier Diesel or something that draws around 225 amps.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

11. Thanks Corkey, watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes CrazyTrain, Corkey, watersupply189 liked this post
  12. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

I live in the south so I probably don't need it persay, but I really enjoy having nice fast heat on these cold mornings. I'm assuming that's because of the grid heater heating the block up.

So I'll probably be going all in. My wallet is starting to get real light. Just done these things in the last 4 weeks.

Valve body, Trans Pan (ordered today), Turbo actuator, Coolant reservoir.

Hopefully in 2-4 weeks I can have enough for the GDP grid heater kit. Until then, the factory grid heater stays unhooked and disabled.

13. Likes Corkey, AK Bob, watersupply189 liked this post
  14. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

I live in the south so I probably don't need it persay, but I really enjoy having nice fast heat on these cold mornings. I'm assuming that's because of the grid heater heating the block up.

So I'll probably be going all in. My wallet is starting to get real light. Just done these things in the last 4 weeks.

Valve body, Trans Pan (ordered today), Turbo actuator, Coolant reservoir.

Hopefully in 2-4 weeks I can have enough for the GDP grid heater kit. Until then, the factory grid heater stays unhooked and disabled.

2018 Ram 2500 Limited TungstenRevMax ZeroFlex VBProven DieselLeveled w/ 35s
    Just so you know the grid heater is only a cold temperature starting aid.

It heats up the intake air for combustion, it doesn’t heat up the block.

If you want to heat up the block, your best option is to plug in your block heater.

15. Likes Corkey, watersupply189, CrazyTrain liked this post
  16. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

That makes sense.

What confuses me is how my truck puts out inside cab heat so fast in the morning with it 30 degrees out.

It seems like it's blowing hot air almost instantly.

I assumed that the grid heaters pre and post-heat (I believe i read it does this till it heats up to around 60 degrees) was the answer.

My company truck is a 2021 F350 6.7L, and it takes 10x longer to start blowing heat.

I know the new truck was ordered for Colorado and has the winter package and all those bells and whistles, but I still haven't found anything that lets me know how it throws the heat out so quickly (which I thoroughly enjoy)

17. Thanks AK Bob thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, watersupply189, Corkey liked this post
  18. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

That makes sense. What confuses me is how my truck puts out inside cab heat so fast in the morning with it 30 degrees out. It seems like it's blowing hot air almost instantly. I assumed with the grid heaters pre and post heat (I believe i read it does this till it heats up to around 60 degrees) was the answer. My company truck is a 2021 F350 6.7 and it takes 10x longer to start blowing heat.

I know the truck new was ordered for Colorado and has the winter package and all those bells and whistles, but still haven't found anything that lets me know how it throws the heat out so quick (which I thoroughly enjoy)

Yes, I hear you, I am also amazed how fast the interior heater blows warm air especially for a diesel.

Even at 3*F this morning, I remote started and idled for about 5 minutes then drove for less than a mile and had warm air blowing inside the cab.

I did have the block heater plugged in on a timer for 4 hours prior to starting and have the winter cover over the grill.

Could be the grid heater helps some, but the engine still has to warm up the coolant to make the heat available.

19. Thanks Corkey thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, Corkey liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast