Thanks Thanks:  79
Likes Likes:  183
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Banks Monster RAM Intake Install (Stock Legal Unit)

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Banks Monster RAM Intake Install (Stock Legal Unit)

OK, after watching the Gale Banks video researching the killer grid heater bolt

After watching this, I couldn't get it ordered fast enough, especially seeing the price increase after the month's end.

Anyway, I sent the video to 2 of my buddies who also have 6.7L RAM, and they instantly ordered one.

I wonder if Gale Banks team thought it was strange three kits were ordered in the same area.

Anyway, I ordered the special tool from Genos to hold the fuel tube to the injector and saw a ball-tipped Allen is the way to go for the monster ram bolt.

Does anyone know the Allen/hex sized used on this intake system?

Getting tools in line to make the installation go seamless.

Picking up just special stuff.

2010 Dodge 2500 SLT CCLB 4WD G56 Cummins 6.7 turbo diesel, 3.42 LSD. Add ons: Banks Monster Ram, Grid heater delete, Spyntec Free Spin Kit with Warn hubs (62672) Laramie Alloys (includes spare), "Powerwagon" Flares, Powerwagon bed decal (4X4 off road) OE Ram mudflaps, OE Slush Mats, OE Clearance Lamps, Geno's shift knob in black, 5" DPF back with muffler delete, spray in bedliner, OE brake controller, Durafit Seat Covers, Pro Tech Toolbox, Speed Turtle, Upfitter switches, Ham Radios, 8 Antennas, headache rack, emergency light bar,....

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

I put one on my 13 6.7L a few months ago.

I took my time, and it wasn’t too bad of a job.

I have a complete set of socket Allen wrenches and used them.

I don’t remember the size, but I think they give it in their install video.

You can look it up.

For putting the bolt into the inside of the monster RAM, I put a little dielectric grease on the inside of the socket head so it would stick to the wrench, and it worked great.

Take your time on the fuel return line banjo fitting.

Knocking the sealing washers off is easy, and they fall where you will never find them.

A set of crows feet for getting some of the injector lines loose was handy.

3. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by egolsen View Post
    I put one on my 13 6.7L a few months ago.

I took my time, and it wasn’t too bad of a job.

I have a complete set of socket Allen wrenches and used them.

I don’t remember the size, but I think they give it in their install video.

You can look it up.

For putting the bolt into the inside of the monster RAM, I put a little dielectric grease on the inside of the socket head so it would stick to the wrench, and it worked great.

Take your time on the fuel return line banjo fitting.

Knocking the sealing washers off is easy, and they fall where you will never find them.

A set of crows feet for getting some of the injector lines loose was handy.
    Yes, I've seen the hex, but never have the size listed, it even went into instructions, no mention, but based on the stud size, I am guessing 6mm hex, so I got the super long hex sockets set coming, one extra in 6mm ball type and yes, complete set of "crescent" brand metric crows feet tubing type.

I have a metric 19mm flare wrench already.

I will bring my Snap-On digital torque wrench from work home.

Hoping to do it next weekend.

Did you notice any improvements? I know it wont be earth shattering, but 88% increase in air flow has to help. Also, was your grid heater bolt loose?

2010 Dodge 2500 SLT CCLB 4WD G56 Cummins 6.7 turbo diesel, 3.42 LSD. Add ons: Banks Monster Ram, Grid heater delete, Spyntec Free Spin Kit with Warn hubs (62672) Laramie Alloys (includes spare), "Powerwagon" Flares, Powerwagon bed decal (4X4 off road) OE Ram mudflaps, OE Slush Mats, OE Clearance Lamps, Geno's shift knob in black, 5" DPF back with muffler delete, spray in bedliner, OE brake controller, Durafit Seat Covers, Pro Tech Toolbox, Speed Turtle, Upfitter switches, Ham Radios, 8 Antennas, headache rack, emergency light bar,....

4. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, SyN thanked for this post
  5. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

My grid heater seemed fine, but like you not willing to gamble.

I’m up in the rust belt and don’t run my truck in the salt if I can avoid it.

We tow a big 24000-pound fifth wheel and will go to Alabama in a few weeks.

It will be interesting to see how it does.

Initially does seem to have a bit better throttle response.

I run DRD plus 60 tune all the time.

6. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Re: Banks Monster RAM Intake Install (Stock Legal Unit)

The kit was delivered today.

I ordered special fuel line sockets for torquing lines; they will be here tomorrow.

I may tackle it this weekend, depending on the weather and outside temps.

7. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  8. Top Of Page | #6
    Permanent Vacation Chrisn162001's Avatar

User Info Menu

They don’t come with the extra long hex bit anymore?

A little install tip for the bolt that needs the extended hex bit is to put the bolt in the hole before installing the manifold and hold it in place with the hex socket as you place the manifold in place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Thanks toyota_mdt_tech thanked for this post
  10. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisn162001 View Post
    They don’t come with the extra long hex bit anymore?
    I wasn't sure, so I got it coming.

I also got a ball-end one.

Yes, your plan is a great idea. I have a magnet on a retractable stick; I was planning on sliding it down into the hole with a dab of Loctite blue and sliding it sideways to release it.

The truck is not lifted, but still high; going to need some scaffolding to elevate my position.

Even at 6 feet tall, no way I will be able to reach back to the end of the engine area.

I'll build something.

11. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS, Corkey liked this post
  12. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by toyota_mdt_tech View Post
    I wasn't sure, so I got it coming.

I also got a ball-end one.

Yes, your plan is a great idea. I have a magnet on a retractable stick; I was planning on sliding it down into the hole with a dab of Loctite blue and sliding it sideways to release it.

The truck is not lifted, but still high; going to need some scaffolding to elevate my position.

Even at 6 feet tall, no way I will be able to reach back to the end of the engine area.

I'll build something.
    I broke down last year and bought myself a topside creeper best money I have spent.

Under dash creeper(board) is sweet too.

2021 Ram 3500 DRW, H.O., bypass oil filtration, bypass coolant filtration, S&B CAI, 4:10’s
    2wd low loc kit.
    Reacquired 2001 3500, 5.9 nv4500, dually cab and chassis, 5” straight pipe, edge juice w/attitude. Otherwise all stock…..for now.

13. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyTrain View Post
    I broke down last year and bought myself a topside creeper best money I have spent.

Under dash creeper(board) is sweet too.
    I just added one to my Amazon cart.

Not sure if I will pull the trigger; storage space is an issue for me.

I would get this setup if I had to do a large job.

Appreciate the reply; I never knew what they were called.

Now I know.

14. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  15. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

OK, closed issue, its done, installed, went seamless. Weather was questionable, but having something that needed done was nagging at me more than the weather. Runs great, no fuel leaks, looks great, feel better throttle response right away.

Tidied up the wiring to prevent movement which leads to breakage over time, especially with the air flow from fan etc.

monster_ram1.jpg

monster_ram2.jpg

monster_ram3.jpg

monster_ram4.jpg

16. Thanks AK Bob, Corkey, watersupply189, Yamahamod thanked for this post
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast