Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  16

Thread: Exhaust Brake Rattle?

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Exhaust Brake Rattle?

Hey friends.

Wondering if anyone has had a rattle noise coming from the turbo area when the exhaust brake is active ( not during EB warm-up, only when the truck is being slowed down)?

And only at lower engine RPM.

My truck will make a faint rattling noise when in the 1200-1000 rpm range (only while the engine is braking), and it has been doing it for a long time with seemingly no ill effect.

It makes no noise at higher engine speeds than the normal EB hissing noises.

EB has also been working just fine. No noise during the cold start EB warm-up either.

It sounds like it is coming from a turbo area but could just as quickly be somewhere nearby.

Quiet enough that with the radio on, I don’t hear it, but I do listen to it with the radio off and windows up.

My turbo actuator coincidentally went out, and I am waiting for the new City Diesel actuator to arrive and was pondering this noise.

I noticed it more after the DRD diet plan, but I also feel like that is because the stock tune didn’t activate the EB under ~1200 rpm, which is when the noise starts.

And with DRD, the EB stays on at 1000 rpm.

2017 RAM 2500 CTD Blue Streak CCSB | 2.5" Leveling Springs, Toyo AT/III 295/70/R18, DRD MM3

2. Thanks watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Exhaust Brake Rattle?

Did you loosen the downpipe from the turbo during the diet upgrade?

It could be a clamp not fully tight, causing a slight rattle at certain RPMs.

Just a thought…

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, CC, 4x4

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab ,G56

4. Thanks AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, Corkey, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Exhaust Brake Rattle?

Good thought, but I didn’t touch the downpipe when installing the new exhaust.

I should make sure everything is tight, tho, when I install the new actuator.

I also recall hearing it several times before the diet, but it happens more now due to the tuning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2017 RAM 2500 CTD Blue Streak CCSB | 2.5" Leveling Springs, Toyo AT/III 295/70/R18, DRD MM3

6. Thanks watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Re: Exhaust Brake Rattle?

Check your downpipe flange where it meets the turbo.

Mine started breaking apart where the flange is welded to the end of the downpipe, and I would get a slight rattle at low rpms.