Thanks Thanks:  15
Likes Likes:  19

Thread: RAM Cummins 6.7L - Block Surface Prep For Head Gasket Replacement?

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

RAM Cummins 6.7L - Block Surface Prep For Head Gasket Replacement?

Hello everyone, I am almost to the point of getting my head back from the machine shop and need some advice.

My truck is 2015, and it has 37k miles; the head gasket was not blown, and no issues with the truck.

I am just doing this job while I am down this far as preventative maintenance.

What type of block surface prep is needed to ensure a good head gasket seal?

So far, I have just wiped the surface with brake and parts cleaner and have read all over the internet of so many ways other people do it that, at this point, I don't know what to believe and don't want to screw it up.

Also, what is the best method if I need to pull the alignment dowels?

Any advice is much appreciated.

Thank you

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2
    Permanent Vacation Chrisn162001's Avatar

User Info Menu

Just ensure the deck surface is clean and no debris from the old gasket is left over.

Check straitness if you have a straight edge; I can’t imagine you’d have any issues.

I’ve replaced a lot of head gaskets on high mileage trucks that blew the gaskets and haven’t seen any that warped the block deck surface.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Thanks C-MAN, IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189 thanked for this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Dowel pin removal tool.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

6. Thanks C-MAN, IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes Corkey, IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

I would use a carbide scraper and lightly go over any areas of debris left behind.

Also, get a Central Tool Precision straight edge and check for flatness.

Not sure what the specs are, but you can bet you want to see under .002".

As for the rest, it sounds like you got it covered.

I use this type of scraper, all hand tools, and drag or pull this backward, not push it.

Best way to remove some crust buildup.

Made by Lisle, they have a set—narrower one in the kit.

2010 Dodge 2500 SLT CCLB 4WD G56 Cummins 6.7 turbo diesel, 3.42 LSD. Add ons: Banks Monster Ram, Grid heater delete, Spyntec Free Spin Kit with Warn hubs (62672) Laramie Alloys (includes spare), "Powerwagon" Flares, Powerwagon bed decal (4X4 off road) OE Ram mudflaps, OE Slush Mats, OE Clearance Lamps, Geno's shift knob in black, 5" DPF back with muffler delete, spray in bedliner, OE brake controller, Durafit Seat Covers, Pro Tech Toolbox, Speed Turtle, Upfitter switches, Ham Radios, 8 Antennas, headache rack, emergency light bar,....

8. Thanks Corkey, C-MAN, IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189 thanked for this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Thank you for all the advice and tips.

I appreciate it!

I got the surface all prepped nice and smooth with a razor blade and the smaller lisle carbide scraper; that little tool worked awesome without marring the surface one little bit!

One thing I did do beforehand was put some sea foam on a shop towel, wiped around the cylinders' edges and on top of the pistons, and let it sit for about 30 minutes.

It made the little bit of hard carbon come off like softened butter!