Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Bio Diesel Info

1. Top Of Page | #1
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Bio Diesel Info

Im about to go on a long trip back home and I was wondering what is the deal with bio diesel? Can you run this in my 07 5.9 without anything special done to it? Ive heard it is much cheaper and might try it if I see it. Any info would be awesome. Thanks.
    Trey

2. Top Of Page | #2
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

You can but highly don't recommend it unless you run an additive. I've seen to many blown electronic injectors. But that's my opinion an as far as additive never had problems when using lubrication engineer products (www.le-inc.com)

3. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

I think the manual says 15% bio. The thing to worry about is algea. Something you don't get this time of year.

Allot of places sell Bio by default. They don't have to tell you. That's usually 5 to 10% though. In Pennsylvania it's the law to sell bio. You don't know that st the pump.

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

4. Top Of Page | #4
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Plant oil based bio fuels lubricate the injection system components very well in comparison to regular diesel fuel. One of the biggest problems with bio fuels is usually poor quaility control processes that does not remove all of the water from the fuel. We all know how even small amounts of water can destroy a fuel injection system. Weather you purchase or make your own bio fuel one must make sure that all of the water is removed from the fuel. Extra fuel filtration on the truck can provide some extra insurance but there is no susbstitute to finding and using quaility fuels. To help avoid filling up with contaminated fuel when out of town I use my slip tank to top off the truck with fuel that I know is good. If I do not have that option then I try and fill up at places that go through a lot of fuel like semi truck stops. It is also a good idea to bring some extra fuel filters along if you are always filling up at different locations.

5. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Or at least drain the separators frequently

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

6. Top Of Page | #6
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Thankfully I only ran into 1 fill up that was bio and it was run out right away. Ran fine.

7. Top Of Page | #7
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

I run up to 80% in my truck in the summer and have no problems with it. Its all in the quality of the fuel. I work at a biodiesel plant and have seen the industry go from very low standards and no real quality assurance to being very quality oriented. And the bq9000 specs are very stringent and you should not have any problems running it at all.

8. Likes Rockwerx liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ttcfan4476 View Post
    I run up to 80% in my truck in the summer and have no problems with it. Its all in the quality of the fuel. I work at a biodiesel plant and have seen the industry go from very low standards and no real quality assurance to being very quality oriented. And the bq9000 specs are very stringent and you should not have any problems running it at all.
    Great info. Thank you.

"The grass is greener where you water it"