Thanks Thanks:  38
Likes Likes:  104
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: RAM Aisin Trans Woes After Weight Loss?

1. Top Of Page | #11

User Info Menu

Re: RAM Aisin Trans Woes After Weight Loss?

Quote Originally Posted by Cumminsdog View Post
    Issues with the Aisin were my biggest worry.
    It’s a “pick your poison” like everything else.

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #12

Quote Originally Posted by shock88 View Post
    It’s a “pick your poison” like everything else.
    Ain't that the truth?

I towed a light load again today. (5k lbs. or less) and the 2-3 shift seems to be getting better.

I think it just needs some miles, I hope!

It's just frustrating, and no, I don't have anything else I can tow with, so I can just put non-towing miles on the truck until iit'sstraightened out.

The truck is used for work, and I don't have a choice; I wish I did.

DRD sent me a new tune to address some other things I asked about, but it has nothing to do with the trans.

I'll load it tomorrow and drive it.

I was supposed to do it today but didn't get a chance to get around to it.

I have a feeling the trans will revert to the way it was after initially tuning it, but we'll see.

In other words, my 5500-mile counter will probably be restarting tomorrow.

4. Likes watersupply189, AK Bob, Corkey liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #13

User Info Menu

Ain't that the truth?

I towed a light load again today. (5k lbs. or less) and the 2-3 shift seems to be getting better.

I think it just needs some miles, I hope!

It's just frustrating, and no, I don't have anything else I can tow with, so I can just put non-towing miles on the truck until iit'sstraightened out.

The truck is used for work, and I don't have a choice; I wish I did.

DRD sent me a new tune to address some other things I asked about, but it has nothing to do with the trans.

I'll load it tomorrow and drive it.

I was supposed to do it today but didn't get a chance to get around to it.

I have a feeling the trans will revert to the way it was after initially tuning it, but we'll see.

In other words, my 5500-mile counter will probably be restarting tomorrow.
    That’s a start!

Did they mention any difference in the engine tunes for an Aisin trans?

I no from the factory they have some big de-fueling put in but i’ve always wondered if they take that into account when selling a tube for a truck with an Aisin, or just slap the same engine tune they use for a 68RFE-equipped truck.

6. Likes AK Bob, watersupply189, Corkey liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #14

[QUOTE=shock88;237364]That’s a start!

Did they mention any difference in the engine tunes for an Aisin trans?

I no from the factory they have some big de-fueling put in but i’ve always wondered if they take that into account when selling a tube for a truck with an Aisin, or just slap the same engine tune they use for a 68RFE-equipped truck. /QUOTE]

That's a good question.

The transmission selection is a requirement when purchasing from DRD so I REALLY doubt that its the "same tune".

8. Thanks shock88 thanked for this post
    Likes shock88, AK Bob, watersupply189, Corkey liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #15

User Info Menu

That's a good question.

The transmission selection is a requirement when purchasing from DRD so I REALLY doubt that its the "same tune".
    It’s also the High Output (HO) engine, so pretty sure it’s a different tune.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

10. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  11. Top Of Page | #16

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bob View Post
    It’s also the High Output (HO) engine, so pretty sure it’s a different tune.
    You know, Ive never looked into it, but are there any differences parts between the HO engine and an SO engine?

Is it just software?

My "background" is in 2nd Gens and I know there were differences in those HO for SO engines.

12. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  13. Top Of Page | #17

User Info Menu

You know, Ive never looked into it, but are there any differences parts between the HO engine and an SO engine?

Is it just software?

My "background" is in 2nd Gens and I know there were differences in those HO for SO engines.
    From what I can tell it’s mostly tuning, the HO engine has a different crankshaft damper and lower compression.

In the past I remember seeing a comparison of each year, but couldn’t find it.

This link compares to the 2021 HO vs non-HO.

https://www.cummins.com/engines/cumm...bo-diesel-2021

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

14. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  15. Top Of Page | #18

Just wanted to update this.

After 2k miles nothing got significantly better. 3-2 down shifts seemed to work them selves out, however all other shifting issues were still there.

1-2 upshift was lazy, but didnt flare.

Big flares on the 2-3 upshift, would take WAY to long, and often times would bang really hard if there wasnt significant load.

3-4 upshift was "notchy" and took too long, had a small flare and were sometimes rougher.

All down shifting was fine.

I did not want to go to a dealer, and could not find the quick learn procedure for the AS69RC in AlfaOBD.

Then I remembered my buddy has an Autel scanner.

He was able to preform the quick learn procedure.

That's an experience with the truck running, parking brake set, foot on the brake and in drive you initiate the Quick Learn.

The truck basically goes through the gears, lurching banging and clunking, revs up.

It then asked to be put in reverse and press OK.

That's where we ran in to an issue.

The Autel screen popped up "Warning! Turn ignition off and retry" so we did and immediately got the same screen when trying again.

So we tried again and It ran through the sequence for shifting and banging and revving, and when asked for reverse, we got the same "try again" message.

At this point I tried shifting the truck in to drive and NOTHING, all neutral same with reverse!

Holy crap what have we done!

I shut the truck off, restarted it and everything was fine LOL.

No codes no nothing and shifts like a dream now.

So I'm not sure if the Quick Learn actually completed or not, but what ever it did, it seems to be A-Okay for now.

I did probably 20+ 1-6 6-1 shifts at light throttle, 30% or less.

Then worked it a little bit up to about 60% throttle or so.

I used tow/haul and the EB and everything shifted fine.

Even slowing down in to second then easing it to it and under very light throttle shifting to 3rd.

Before I thought the driveshaft was going to get spit out no joke, but now its smooth as butter.

Moral of the story if after tuning your AS69RC is shifting like crap, have someone who knows what they are doing (not me LOL) do a quick learn procedure on it.

I believe it will be the only way to iron it out if it doesnt fix its self in the first couple hundred miles.

16. Top Of Page | #19

User Info Menu

On any relearn process, it's always good to put 300 to 500 miles on with no assists "EB, tow haul mode" with 30 no more than 50% Throttle percent.

This gives the transmission adequate time to properly know where to shift as it should, as this could give weird shifting behaviors with the EB or tow mode engaged during the relearn procedure.

Awesome, you got it how it was!

II 60HP STICKS, II 33% CP3, II S464 2ND GEN SWAP, FASS 165 TITANIUM SIGNATURE SERIES, AFE INTAKE HORN, S&B FILTER, 5" TURBO BACK, ALPHAREX HEAD LIGHTS, 38X13.5X20 RAZOR M/T, MOTO METAL RIMS, 6" LA LIFT KIT, COMPLET MM3 KIT, BUILT TRANSMISSION, 6 BOLT REDHEAD STEERING BOX

17. Thanks watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  18. Top Of Page | #20

Quote Originally Posted by Corkey View Post
    On any re-learn process, it's always good to put 300 to 500 miles on with no assists " EB, tow haul mode" with 30 no more than 50% Throttle percent.

This gives the transmission adequate time to properly know where to shift as it should, as this could give weird shifting behaviors with the EB or tow mode engaged during the relearn procedure.

Awesome, you got it how it was!
    It might be a good thing, but this old girl will have to go through on the job training, LOL.

19. Thanks Corkey, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast