Thanks Thanks:  16
Likes Likes:  33

Thread: Need Help - Grid Heater Issue

1. Top Of Page | #1

Need Help - Grid Heater Issue

So my grid heater is not engaging.

I have my edge insight and can see the IAT temps, and they don't go up fast like I've seen on some videos when it works.

Thanks for helping, guys.

Troubleshooting done:
    The grid heater light comes on at pre-start with no codes.
    I don't see a power drop when starting.
    Remote starts with no issue.
    New OEM relay.
    Power is verified to relay.
    The ground is good to little wire on the relay.
    Another little wire, when unplugged, throws a P0542 code.
    So it's got some info going to it, I assume.
    Test light between positive relay post and post going to the grid with no power.

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

I see from your previous posts that you are using the screw-in heater on a Banks intake horn and running EFI Live tunes; not sure what year model truck you have.

The grid heater circuit is quite simple; see the diagram attached.

You have already determined that post 30 on the new relay has battery voltage available. As a test, I would remove the small wires 85 and 86 from the relay, then ground the relay post 86 and apply battery positive to post 85.

Do this momentarily while checking for battery voltage at post 87.

If you have a battery voltage at 87, you know the new relay is working, then check for current flow in the A122 wire.

If you don't have a current flow, you either have an open heater or an open A122 wire.

Grid Heater Circuit.jpg

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

4. Thanks Corkey, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Who needs Alexa when you have Bob?

Good info!

II 60HP STICKS, II 33% CP3, II S464 2ND GEN SWAP, FASS 165 TITANIUM SIGNATURE SERIES, AFE INTAKE HORN, S&B FILTER, 5" TURBO BACK, ALPHAREX HEAD LIGHTS, 38X13.5X20 RAZOR M/T, MOTO METAL RIMS, 6" LA LIFT KIT, COMPLET MM3 KIT, BUILT TRANSMISSION, 6 BOLT REDHEAD STEERING BOX

6. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Corkey View Post
    Who needs Alexa when you have Bob?

Good info!
    Bob Quest is similar to map quest!

That is excellent info.

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, CC, 4x4

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab ,G56

7. Thanks Corkey, AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes Corkey, BrentM, AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  8. Top Of Page | #5

So I did what you said, and the relay actuated.

So the relay is good, which I had hoped for since brand new.

So it has to be the 85 or 86 wire, but 85 throws a code if unplugged momentarily.

86 I tested for ground and good.

I was told tuning couldn't turn off the grid heater, so it's not because of my new tune, right?

9. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  10. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Georgiaboy View Post
    So I did what you said, and the relay actuated.

So the relay is good, which I had hoped for since brand new.

So it has to be the 85 or 86 wire, but 85 throws a code if unplugged momentarily.

86 I tested for ground and good.

I was told tuning couldn't turn off the grid heater, so it's not because of my new tune, right?
    If you don't see battery voltage on pin 85 of the relay when the PCM commands the grid heater, you either have an open in the wire from the PCM to 85, or the PCM is not supplying the voltage because it's defective or has been turned off by tuning.

Edit:
    Since removing the 85 wire from the relay/solenoid gives you a trouble code, you don’t have an open between the PCM and 85.

If the temperature conditions exist for the grid heater to turn on and you don’t see the 12V on 85, then either your tuning has turned this function off, or your PCM is not providing the voltage.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

11. Thanks Corkey, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  12. Top Of Page | #7

Re: Need Help - Grid Heater Issue

I am posting here to help all and my new buddy AK Bob.

So my tuner guy says the grid heater can't be turned off in EFI Live.

I took off the wire from the relay to the grid heater yesterday.

I remotely started it this am and this early afternoon before the temps got above 59 here in good ole Georgia.

I randomly checked my edge for codes, and what do you know, P2609.

So the system does see the grid heater removed.

I'm even more confused now.

Because I don't see on my IAT temps zooming to 100F like some Youtube videos.

So I think the grid heater is not working, and after all my tests, everything else is good except the 12v from PCM.

I will double-check that one next cold day we have and re-verify that it is or isn't sending 12v.

I will ask the tuner to add P0542 and P2609 to the forget list if I use or don't use the grid heater.

I will keep you posted.

Thanks all.

13. Thanks AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  14. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Re: Need Help - Grid Heater Issue

Quote Originally Posted by Georgiaboy View Post
    I am posting here to help all and my new buddy AK Bob.

So my tuner guy says the grid heater can't be turned off in EFI Live.

I took off the wire from the relay to the grid heater yesterday.

I remotely started it this am and this early afternoon before the temps got above 59 here in good ole Georgia.

I randomly checked my edge for codes, and what do you know, P2609.

So the system does see the grid heater removed.

I'm even more confused now.

Because I don't see on my IAT temps zooming to 100F like some Youtube videos.

So I think the grid heater is not working, and after all my tests, everything else is good except the 12v from PCM.

I will double-check that one next cold day we have and re-verify that it is or isn't sending 12v.

I will ask the tuner to add P0542 and P2609 to the forget list if I use or don't use the grid heater.

I will keep you posted.

Thanks all.
    The fact that you are getting the P0542 code with the power wire to the heater removed tells me that the PCM was previously seeing a voltage drop from the grid heater, and so post 85 did previously receive 12 V.

I have attached the troubleshooting information on both codes for anyone interested.

I have no idea about heat output from the screw-in heat element compared to the stock heater.

The stock heater draws 223A; it would be interesting to compare this with the amp draw of the screw-in element.

Attached Files Attached Files

15. Thanks Corkey, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes Corkey, watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post