Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  21

Thread: 2012 2500 RAM - Losing Coolant Randomly?

1. Top Of Page | #1

2012 2500 RAM - Losing Coolant Randomly?

I have a 2012 RAM headgasket and studs water pump thermostat was all done about 6k miles ago.

One day in the summer, I noticed a puddle under the passenger side of the truck and thought nothing about it because I had remote-started the truck and figured it was from the ac.

Well got about a 1/4 of a mile and temp jumped up to 245; I pulled over, let it cool off, topped it off, and went home.

I contacted the shop that did the work and took it back; they pressure-checked the system with no leaks, got the truck back, and drove it every day for a month with no problems; then, one day, I drove it, and it lost all the coolant again.

Back at the shop, they recheck everything, and the pressure check is good no exhaust gas in the coolant; I'm at a loss.

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, SyN thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189, SyN liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: 2012 2500 RAM - Losing Coolant Randomly?

Quote Originally Posted by Aradio13 View Post
    I have a 2012 RAM headgasket and studs water pump thermostat was all done about 6k miles ago.

One day in the summer, I noticed a puddle under the passenger side of the truck and thought nothing about it because I had remote-started the truck and figured it was from the ac.

Well got about a 1/4 of a mile and temp jumped up to 245; I pulled over, let it cool off, topped it off, and went home.

I contacted the shop that did the work and took it back; they pressure-checked the system with no leaks, got the truck back, and drove it every day for a month with no problems; then, one day, I drove it, and it lost all the coolant again.

Back at the shop, they recheck everything, and the pressure check is good no exhaust gas in the coolant; I'm at a loss.
    I am wondering if the new thermostat is sticking closed occasionally.

If you didn’t install an OEM thermostat, I would try that first.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

4. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189, SyN liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

When the headgasket was done, it was a new OEM then, this new one a few weeks ago is a Gates 180 degrees one.

6. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

When the headgasket was done, it was a new OEM then, this new one a few weeks ago is a Gates 180 degrees one.
    Has it dumped the coolant again after the latest thermostat was installed?

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

8. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

Yes, only once so far.

10. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Yes, only once so far.
    Has the fan clutch operation been verified as working correctly?

The test procedure attached is for my 2014 but should apply to your 2012.

Attached Files Attached Files

12. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS, BrentM liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

I don't know. The mechanic said something about checking it after this last time, but I haven't taken it back to them yet.

14. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post