Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  10

Thread: Service Electronic Throttle Control?

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Service Electronic Throttle Control?

I have 2016 3500, and about two months ago, it started throwing a light that says “service electronic throttle control,” sometimes accompanied by the check engine light.

Turning the truck off and back on will sometimes clear the “service electronic throttle control” light.

It seems like it has begun to come on more often now. It throws code P2122 (accelerator pedal position sensor 1 circuit low), and my MM3 also shows code P0652 (sensor reference voltage 2 circuit low).

So far, I have tried unhooking the batteries for 20 min, installed new batteries, put on a new TPS sensor, and reloaded my tunes.

It usually throws the code when I let off the throttle or brake, so I thought a new TPS would fix it.

I installed a new one, unplugged the negatives on the batteries for 5 minutes, reconnected, and went for a drive.

The light came on w/n the first mile when i slowed down to turn.

It also throws code U010E (lost communication with the reluctant control module); I think this is unrelated, but I am not sure.

The truck starts and drives fine.

At this point, I’m kind of at a loss.

Can anyone help me out with this problem?

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Service Electronic Throttle Control?

@AK Bob

Do you have a PDF on this?

Did you replace one battery or both?

My first guess was low voltage on batteries which Cummins is prone to throwing oddball codes.

II 60HP STICKS, II 33% CP3, II S464 2ND GEN SWAP, FASS 165 TITANIUM SIGNATURE SERIES, AFE INTAKE HORN, S&B FILTER, 5" TURBO BACK, ALPHAREX HEAD LIGHTS, 38X13.5X20 RAZOR M/T, MOTO METAL RIMS, 6" LA LIFT KIT, COMPLET MM3 KIT, BUILT TRANSMISSION, 6 BOLT REDHEAD STEERING BOX

4. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Re: Service Electronic Throttle Control?

Yes, see attached information on the trouble codes.

The U010E code can be ignored as that is normal when on a diet.

I suspect you may have a 5V reference intermittently shorted to ground.

I would start by following the P0652 troubleshooting guide.

Inspect the connectors and harnesses of any of those five sensors that have been disconnected for possible intermittent short to ground.

They are all connected and share the same 5V reference, so you can monitor any of them with a voltmeter, key on, engine off, and then disconnect one at a time and move the harness while looking for the 5V reference to drop out.

I suspect the 5 Volt reference for these five items is also shared internally in the PCM with the APPS1 connection causing the P0652 code.

Attached Files Attached Files
    2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

6. Thanks Corkey, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes Corkey, watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post